The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

gf1 + leica m lens manual focus

danlindberg

I wonder if it is ok to manually focus by live view or if it is much better/easier with the electronic viewfinder?
Any differences which Leica M adapter to get?

m3photo

Horses for courses as usual.
Age might be the deciding factor. In my case, I'm 55, typically long-sighted and although reticent at first towards the idea of an EVF, I bought the G1 (back when the GF-1 was only a glint in Panasonic's eye) and not only am very pleased with using the EVF, I wouldn't bother using the rear screen to focus; in fact I have it folded in 99% of the time. Only criticism is having to roll thumb over two buttons to get the the thing to magnify ...

danlindberg

Thanks m3photo!
Would be great to hear from someone using only the screen to focus with a Leica lens! Anyone :)

Godfrey

Thanks m3photo!
Would be great to hear from someone using only the screen to focus with a Leica lens! Anyone :)
I use the LCD on the G1 as well as L1 and E-5 SLRs for manual focusing quite often, but most often when I've got the camera on a tripod or I'm trying to focus on something in a position where it would be difficult to get my eye to the eye-piece.

I find that I tend to move the camera a bit after focusing when shooting hand-held because I unconsciously change the camera's position relative to my eye so I can see the screen clearly. This sometimes throws the focus off too much if I'm not using a wide-angle lens or if I'm shooting near wide open. With practice, this issue goes away.

There's no problem seeing the point of best focus on the LCD, however. It is often the case, particularly with the SLRs, that the LCD with manual focus assist magnification provides the best means to see the critical focus point. An EVF can improve on this in certain circumstances as it provides a view unencumbered by surrounding bright glare.

I use an eye-level finder (optical or electronic ... doesn't matter) too much of the time to live comfortably with a camera that has only an LCD, but having both is a big plus.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a GH1, using OM Zuiko lenses, but the principle should be the same. I agree with Godfrey that it's easy to lose focus due to camera movements. I use the LCD only when I need it due to low or high shooting angles or when the camera is fixed to a tripod or in my lap. Also, the EVF is much easier to see for very obvious reasons.

When it comes to adapters, it's better to be safe than sorry. I bought an el-cheapo adapter for the Zuikos, and have hundreds of nice photos from a recent Cambodia trip with varying focus across the frame, or almost in focus all over. The Voigtländer adapters are expensive, but very good. There are others too, but from now on, I'm going for the best I can find only. Compared to the lenses I mount on these adapters, they cost peanuts anyway, and they probably last forever.

seakayaker

I wonder if it is ok to manually focus by live view or if it is much better/easier with the electronic viewfinder?
Any differences which Leica M adapter to get?
i have GF1 and have a Leica M and a few Voigtlander M mount lens along with several Leitz & Voigtlander LTM lenses. I use the Electronic Viewfinder 100% of time when focusing. The viewfinder also has a the 90 degree flip up capability for changing positions when taking different shots.

When focusing, just a thumb press of the wheel magnifies the focal point, then a half depress on the release to return to full view then complete the depression to take the shot. The GF1 is a fun camera with manual focus lens!

Sample photos can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/

Also agree with Jorgen that the Voightlander M (and the LTM) adaptor(s) are quality made and for me worth the money I paid.