The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M. Zuiko 75-300mm first photos

A

Allan Ostling

I mounted the new lens on my E-P2, screwed in a monopod and took these first photos with that jammed into my belt. Some of these were with the IS-1 setting, and some with the IS-3 setting since I didn't think there would be much need for vertical IS with this set-up.

I'm really happy with the lens. My first photos, on a tripod in low light last night with IS OFF, showed there is some shutter vibration which can affect the image at certain shutter speeds. That's all part of the learning curve, just beginning now.

[edit] These photos were at 300mm, except the 1st (75mm) and the 3rd (200mm), apertures range from f6.7 to f9.

Last edited:
A

Allan Ostling

Three more photos, all at 300mm. The first shows the bokeh.

A

Allan Ostling

Looks pretty decent! Did you get the silver one or the black one?
Black lens. Although I could have got the silver lens, since my E-P2 is showing signs of "brassing," gradually turning from black to silver as surface wear proceeds near the edges. (That doesn't bother me at all).

The lens focuses to three feet. This gives me an idea for doing macro. I have the Canon 500D and 250D achromatic doublet close-up lenses, in 58mm size. These screw right onto the filter thread without an adapter. I just now mounted the (weaker) 500D -- an object one inch across fills the frame. Could be useful for some insect photography.

Here is another photo at 75mm and f9, sized at 1200 pixels.

Last edited:

Terry

Hi,
Weather is looking pretty nice in Tempe...hopefully it will stay warm through Xmas when I'm in Scottsdale. Congrats on the new lens. Looks like you are off to a good start. Curious why you went for the 75-300 vs the new 100-300? Do you also have a 4:3 slr? cost?

A

Allan Ostling

Hi,
Weather is looking pretty nice in Tempe...hopefully it will stay warm through Xmas when I'm in Scottsdale. Congrats on the new lens. Looks like you are off to a good start. Curious why you went for the 75-300 vs the new 100-300? Do you also have a 4:3 slr? cost?
The Panasonic 100-300mm weighs 520 g, while the M. Zuiko 75-300mm weighs 428 g (without caps); it is much more compact, partly because it doesn't need to incorporate the Mega OIS built into the Panasonic lens. I'm a fanatic about reducing carrying weight.

I do not have a four-thirds DSLR; in fact I have no DSLR at all. I'm always looking at the DSLRs carried by tourists in our National Parks, or the visitors to Phoenix is wintertime. If I ever see one which is not a Canon or a Nikon I will stop that person and tender my congratulations on getting a camera with image stabilization built into the body.

I expect the weather will still be in the high 70s when you visit Scottsdale in a couple of weeks. But after suffering five months of summer here with the temperature over 100ºF every day, I long for colder temperatures than that.

A

Allan Ostling

Here is a 100% crop of the moon, taken at 300mm, f7.1, ISO 400, on a tripod with IS off. As you can see, there is no color fringing apparent in this jpeg -- CA is apparently corrected in-camera.

Shutter vibration was a problem in the 100-200th sec range. This exposure is at 250th sec.

A

Allan Ostling

I took my 75-300mm on a Christmas trip to San Francisco. Here are two images shot at 300mm. The long reach was especially useful for these shots.

Terry

Yup you seem to have captured the weather well. Amazing how much the lens compresses space. The cranes for unloading cargo are quite far from twin peaks and the bay is at least 2 miles across at that point. (I live just to the right of the tall building).

T

Tony.S

It is good to see some images from the M.Zuiko 75-300mm finally making it onto the net. The graphs over at DIWA suggest that it should be slightly sharper, at the 300mm end, than Panasonic 100-300mm, although it wouldn't have image stabilisation on a Panasonic body. Does anyone have any idea how the IQ compares to the Zuiko 50-200mm? The DIWA graphs suggest that it is quite close in theory..............

A

Allan Ostling

Allan, nice shots
Are these out of camera jpegs? or converted raw, was any NR used
Thanks
Those are jpegs, which I always tweak in Elements before posting. I think I cropped the "kite-surfing girl" a little.

Here are two more shots. The night shot was taken from my 12th-floor window in the Mayfair Hotel in downtown L.A., with the E-P2 in Night Scene mode. The shot of the Golden Gate Bridge was hand-held without supports, but at a fast shutter speed.

A

Allan Ostling

night shot at 300mm

I meant to post that night shot at a larger size. Here is another shot from the same location, shot at 300mm. There is flare from some of the signs, probably atmospheric, not in the lens.

A

Allan Ostling

performance at 75mm

Most of us may be primarily concerned with the lens performance at 300mm. But when it is mounted on your camera you are going to use it at 75mm when the subject is wide, and you don't quite need to change lenses. Here is a shot at 75mm.

I could wish for a more perfect rainbow, but since it may be the first ever photographed over the Golden Gate Bridge, I cannot complain.

A

Allan Ostling

100% crop

Here is a full crop, real pixels shot at 300mm, f8, ISO 400. Image stabilization was IS1, E-P2 was on a monopod which I supported from below with left hand while working shutter with right hand, sitting on a bench on the lake shore.

A

Allan Ostling

This isn't much of a 300mm bird shot. I'm just trying to keep this thread alive, hoping somebody else will buy the lens and post something better.

This is about 2/3 of the full frame, (inappropriately) shot at ISO 640 and 4000th.

Last edited:
A

Allan Ostling

Seattle's Lake Union

It was sunny in Seattle when I visited last weekend, and not as cold as Phoenix when I returned here yesterday. Here are two shots, each at 300mm, showing Lake Union.

deckitout

Very nice shot Allan, you nailed the focus

This isn't much of a 300mm bird shot. I'm just trying to keep this thread alive, hoping somebody else will buy the lens and post something better.

This is about 2/3 of the full frame, (inappropriately) shot at ISO 640 and 4000th.

cjlacz

After seeing the feature list (IS in the EVF) and the leaked shots at higher ISO I'm leaning toward getting this lens over the 100-300. Lighter weight and DIWA suggests it's a little better. Your shots are fantastic and it certainly looks like a decent enough lens. I was hoping to get some more information about how the two lenses compare, but I guess not many people have purchased both. I may pick this up sometime his year and have some shots to add.