The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Me Buy A Present?

Diane B

The only other thing I could have suggested is a lovely wrapped box with a brick, a 'suggestive' photo and a nice note promising a shopping trip to find what suits her tucked inside. Personally my husband knows better than to choose something like that for me so I've had a number of wrapped bricks and other odd sized boxes with notes and pictures over the years LOL

jonoslack

The only other thing I could have suggested is a lovely wrapped box with a brick, a 'suggestive' photo and a nice note promising a shopping trip to find what suits her tucked inside. Personally my husband knows better than to choose something like that for me so I've had a number of wrapped bricks and other odd sized boxes with notes and pictures over the years LOL
Ah Diane
you obviously have a nicer husband than Emma or Terry's wife!
Still, perhaps we have good intentions, even if we get it wrong (whether it be a camera or some expensive lingerie).

Certainly, despite the previous post, I couldn't really be more appreciative; we will have been married for 30 years next summer, and it's better now than it was then . . . . . but I'm british, so I really shouldn't say things like that!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Diane: There may be a niche for you as a camera buyer for photographer's wives. You certainly have the experience and come with a built-in point of view that's gender-correct. Something to think about. If you need help designing your website, let me know.

As for the rest of us husbands, in the end we're all mighty lucky to be having these kinds of problems. 30 years of anything is a terrific record. I salute you Jono! (Or maybe it's your wife I should be saluting?)

jonoslack

As for the rest of us husbands, in the end we're all mighty lucky to be having these kinds of problems. 30 years of anything is a terrific record. I salute you Jono! (Or maybe it's your wife I should be saluting?)
You've got it Terry . . It's Emma you should be saluting - I'm the vacillating neurotic (except when it comes to expensive lingerie). Emma is the rock around which it's all built :)

Diane B

Thanks Terry. At one time when it was a bit lean, between jobs for both of us (we're self employed) I actually did something like that. I worked for Best Buy (cant believe I'm admitting this LOL). They snapped me up when I applied and I mostly did exactly what you suggested and worked with people just getting into digital, particularly photography. I have a background of retail in one of my other lives (buyer for large dept stores and a specialty store) so it was up my alley plus my photography work shooting for the furniture and textile industry part time.

Can I up Jono here? We have been married for 44 years and still really love and enjoy each other. David can appreciate my photography and before that years as a fine craftsperson but he's a designer so I would expect that. He's NOT good at the gear end of photography though.

I say whatever works as long as there is respect and willingness to compromise. Its also really lovely when one's partner makes the effort to find just the right thing.

Diane

jonoslack

I say whatever works as long as there is respect and willingness to compromise.
A friend of ours reckons it's all down to whether you think each other smells good!

Still Diane, 44 years is splendid . . congratulations . . I guess it's 42 years since we first met, but there was a lot of water under that 12 year bridge!

Diane B

A friend of ours reckons it's all down to whether you think each other smells good!

Still Diane, 44 years is splendid . . congratulations . . I guess it's 42 years since we first met, but there was a lot of water under that 12 year bridge!
I'll have to think about that LOL. Anthropologically though that makes good sense.

Well at least you had those 12 years to get used to each other. This was a relatively short relationship. And it was a Southern guy marrying a Yankee young woman who was really out of her element living and working in the South (US). My parents didn't give it much hope LOL. Now my 95 yr old mother lives on our farm next door and thinks of David as her other son. Its been an outstanding 44+ years IMO and I think in David's too.

But we've digressed, haven't we LOLOL??????

jonoslack

I'll have to think about that LOL. Anthropologically though that makes good sense.

Well at least you had those 12 years to get used to each other.
nonono - we had those twelve years to marry other people, behave badly, and generally whoop it up! Courting at 29 was just a few weeks.
This was a relatively short relationship. And it was a Southern guy marrying a Yankee young woman who was really out of her element living and working in the South (US). My parents didn't give it much hope LOL. Now my 95 yr old mother lives on our farm next door and thinks of David as her other son. Its been an outstanding 44+ years IMO and I think in David's too.

But we've digressed, haven't we LOLOL??????
mmmm yes, just a bit . . . but perhaps it's all vaguely relevant to the original post! . . . and affirmation is always worth a shot :angel:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
You folks are an inspiration. I feel like a pup with just 20 years in. Maybe it's just that I'm amazed that 20 years have gone by since it seems like just a few months ago.

And one tiny correction, it's Tim not Terry. I'd hate to have our moderator upset in any way. I value the place too much.

Cheers!
Tim