The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help Me Buy A Present?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It's getting down to the wire and I need to make a decision about a camera for my wife. I'm almost convinced to go with the GF-1. I know how many opinions there are likely to be regarding the many fine options available in this category of cameras, but I'm hoping you can provide some simple advice.

I'm thinking of the zoom and not the pancake. Any other bits of wisdom? Suggestions or even (!) alternatives?

I thank you and my wife thanks you (in advance).
Tim

p.s. I'm guessing this will inspire the usual (and important) questions regarding her shooting preferences and goals for photography. I will offer the following general info in that regard: She has a background that includes 35mm film photography. She's now a casual shooter and wants a camera to perform without lots of menu required. There's some indication she wants to explore beyond what a typical P&S will allow. She doesn't shoot landscape, products, architecture. She likes people, flowers and pets.

Terry

GF1 is a really nice camera to use. The Oly E-PL1 can be found for $399 right now which is a great value.

If she doesn't want to change lenses I don't really consider a Canon G12 a point and shoot.

seakayaker

I love my GF1 and lots of sample pictures of Flowers can be found in these sets. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26672618@N03/sets/

This is a great camera that you can take everywhere, a lot of flexibility and capability. I do not have the kit zoom but did by the Leica D version. The 20mm pancake is a great lens and the 14-45 has been selling in the for sales forum for a little as $200.00.

I have found the electronic view finder to be valuable for hitting focus. I have noticed that B&H has been running a special with the 14-45, GF1 and view finder for a couple of hundred bucks below original MRSP for just the GF1 and Kit lens.

Good luck with your decision.

Having fun with the GF1.

Diane B

Tim, I shoot sort of the opposite of your wife but thinking she wants to shoot people perhaps in low light and maybe pets moving, the zoom may not be fast enough. As a general lens, though, she'll enjoy the range. I have the original 14-45 and find it a very nice lens on the GF1. You can add the 20 later as I can't imagine the GF1 without it but as a prime she might feel limited by it.

The only thing that she may find irritating is LCD only coming from DSLRs. The G1s are SO SO inexpensive now that you might consider one. Having that terrific EVF is worth the very little bit of width you pick up with the grip. Actually I like the ergonomics of the G1 better though it isn't as aesthetically pleasing. Just a thought. Either body I think she'll love but I didn't consider video which might make a difference in choice.

Diane

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
This is encouraging! Sounds like I'm in the right neighborhood. But the responses do reveal my lack of knowledge regarding the various models. So far, all I've done is to disqualify the GF2 because of the touch screen. I have (in the past) read the various threads about these cameras, but I have to confess that since I haven't any interest in them on a personal level, I tend to let the info flow right past me.

So... a G1 has an optical finder but the sensor is otherwise the same?

jonoslack

Good Luck!
I've not had much success with cameras and my wife. What she really likes to use is an old Leica C-lux, or else the v-lux 20. All attempts to get something better have fallen by the wayside.

Like your wife, she has a history of SLR film cameras, and is really rather good.

The only exception has been a Sony A33 with the kit lens, which she shot as a backup at a recent wedding, and she DID like that (it takes pictures when you press the shutter, it gets the focus and exposure right and it's not irritating).

Terry

So... a G1 has an optical finder but the sensor is otherwise the same?
G1/G2/GH1/GH2 - all have the mini dslr styling. All have an EVF not an optical finder.

GF1/GF2/E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 - all have the small brick form factor but all except the E-P1 have an optional EVF that can be attached to the camera.

The GH's have more advanced video features.

The G2/GH2 also have touch screen capability but still retain all buttons. The GF2 gave up some buttons to make it smaller.

The G2 picks up about a stop of ISO capability over the G1 and and the GF1.
The GH2 looks to be the best of the Panny's for IQ

Olympus has a very good jpeg engine if your wife is going to use jpegs right from the camera.

jonoslack

Two very important considerations:

1. Get a camera with the same lens system as you use so that you can share lenses.

2. Get a camera with a different lens system from your's so that your best lenses are not always somewhere else
;)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Terry: Thank you! That rundown helps enormously. I sincerely wish companies would use some sort of logical naming sequence since apparently being off by one digit or letter can lead to the wrong choice.

Jono: My wife's experience is holding her back. It's more nostalgia than knowledge. The one area I tend to agree with her about is the inclusion of an optical viewfinder. Those are rare but at least some of the models offer an option EVF (which I can explain and make vague promises about if it comes to that).

And to be honest, it's hard to go beyond one's own preferences. For instance, I only shoot RAW and want everyone else to do the same. The reality is that she is not very likely to do that anytime soon. So maybe I should set aside my own bias and think about a .jpeg-maker?

Dam*, I thought buying a canoe was difficult. Maybe I should skip the whole thing and go for the expensive lingerie? No wait, that's my own preference showing up again!

jonoslack

Jono: My wife's experience is holding her back. It's more nostalgia than knowledge. The one area I tend to agree with her about is the inclusion of an optical viewfinder. Those are rare but at least some of the models offer an option EVF (which I can explain and make vague promises about if it comes to that).
They do, but there are plenty of small dSLR's around with optical viewfinders. If your wife is like mine, she's likely to leave one lens on and stick to that. In which case you need to find the camera with the best small zoom.

I also have this thing about size (within reason), if you can't fit it in your pocket, then you need a bag, and if you need a bag, then there isn't much difference in size between an E620 and a GF1 (for example).

And to be honest, it's hard to go beyond one's own preferences. For instance, I only shoot RAW and want everyone else to do the same. The reality is that she is not very likely to do that anytime soon. So maybe I should set aside my own bias and think about a .jpeg-maker?
Yes you should

Dam*, I thought buying a canoe was difficult. Maybe I should skip the whole thing and go for the expensive lingerie? No wait, that's my own preference showing up again!
:eek: surely that's one of the absolute necessities of Christmas, it never for a second entered my head that you'd be getting the camera instead of the expensive lingerie

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Good point on the Lingerie. What was I thinking?

OK, I'm edging in a direction that I hadn't expected. And one that will hopefully get beyond me and more directly to her. However, it's not based on a lot of left-brain-in-depth study but rather a gut reaction and a bit of prayer. I'm fairly comfortable going with the decision since I think all of these cameras will produce results to her liking. The nuances between image quality are likely to be lost on her. So, based on a gut feeling about "coolness" and factoring in the comments made here, I'm going to pull the trigger on an Oly EP-2.

Plus, I've never owned (or even held) an Olympus camera. It'll be fun to see what all the fuss is about.

Thank you all for your generous advice and direction!

Tim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tim it comes down to effort. If she does not want to fuss at all than a LX5 which is right up my wife's alley. If she wants to play than the Oly or Pana are good choices. My wife is not a shooter by any means so depends on her amount of time invested is what i would look at. Problem is like me i tend to buy for myself and not my wife's needs when it comes to camera's.

jonoslack

Good point on the Lingerie. What was I thinking?
Glad to have saved you from a terrible error . . . the Agent Provocateur website is popular around here :D

So, based on a gut feeling about "coolness" and factoring in the comments made here, I'm going to pull the trigger on an Oly EP-2.

Plus, I've never owned (or even held) an Olympus camera. It'll be fun to see what all the fuss is about.
I think that's an excellent decision - nice jpgs, plug in EVF if required, and it certainly 'feels' more 'thing' than a GF1.

Good Luck with it. (pleased to have been of no service :ROTFL:)

all the best

jonoslack

Tim it comes down to effort. If she does not want to fuss at all than a LX5 which is right up my wife's alley. If she wants to play than the Oly or Pana are good choices. My wife is not a shooter by any means so depends on her amount of time invested is what i would look at. Problem is like me i tend to buy for myself and not my wife's needs when it comes to camera's.
I tried to get Emma to use an LX3, but, unlike the C-lux, it wouldn't fit in her jeans pocket . . . and was therefore axed!.

The EP-2 is great to use - no time needed, just switch it to auto and get going.

The boy did good :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the input Guy. The tricky part here is recognizing the practical while still allowing for the magical.

Most of the time my wife communicates in a wonderfully straightforward manner and her stance/opinions are easy for me to understand (and to comply with). EXCEPT when she expects me to be omniscient and intuit what she really wants but feels she shouldn't have to say out loud.

I figure my chances are better than 50-50 of hitting it right with this little gift. If I miss, I'll blame it on Jono. But it's moot now since I pulled the trigger and the gears are turning.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks for the input Guy. The tricky part here is recognizing the practical while still allowing for the magical.

Most of the time my wife communicates in a wonderfully straightforward manner and her stance/opinions are easy for me to understand (and to comply with). EXCEPT when she expects me to be omniscient and intuit what she really wants but feels she shouldn't have to say out loud.

I figure my chances are better than 50-50 of hitting it right with this little gift. If I miss, I'll blame it on Jono. But it's moot now since I pulled the trigger and the gears are turning.
LOL see i don't have to guess mine just goes and buys it and says thanks for the present. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Even if she told me I would forget in 5 minutes anyway. This is called self perseverance training. You can never get hurt by Oh **** I forgot to do that. Damn hell with the workshops i should do husband training, keep you guys safe. LOL

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I figure an ocean will keep you safe. And I'm happy to return the favor—I don't even have to know what the purchase advice is for, consider this your ticket for one free scapegoat.

jonoslack

Even if she told me I would forget in 5 minutes anyway. This is called self perseverance training. You can never get hurt by Oh **** I forgot to do that. Damn hell with the workshops i should do husband training, keep you guys safe. LOL
Self Perseverance training eh? What a splendid concept, I'm working on it right now!

I figure an ocean will keep you safe. And I'm happy to return the favor—I don't even have to know what the purchase advice is for, consider this your ticket for one free scapegoat.
Hmm, you're too much of a mate to do that to you. Emma is the nicest person I know, but I wouldn't bank on the Atlantic keeping anyone safe! Before you knew what's what it'd be :deadhorse:
:ROTFL: