The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the GH2

Amin

>Just curious as to your thoughts on that lens with the GH2.

In the past I did not use too slow lenses. But having usable higher ISO and small camera made me re-think.

Good daylight street lens and also essential for video.
Having better higher ISO is letting me use the f/2.8 lenses indoors again in low light.

TV Trance (ISO 3200, 1/50s, 45mm at f/2.8):

biglouis

GH-2 20/1.7 - I'm amazed at how little post processing these pictures need. Just a little sharpening after resizing, is all.

iso1600

iso320

Rich M

Nice shots Ryan and Amin.....

Louis.....those last two shots of yours are pretty amazing.....crisp, saturated, nice corner to corner sharpness......very nice little lens. I wish Panasonic would make a few more primes like this one.

R

biglouis

Nice shots Ryan and Amin.....

Louis.....those last two shots of yours are pretty amazing.....crisp, saturated, nice corner to corner sharpness......very nice little lens. I wish Panasonic would make a few more primes like this one.

R
Thanks, Rich. It is an amazing combination. So far I am thrilled with the results. A real step change up from the GF-1 but I am also pleased that the 20/1.7 is not revealed as being any less stellar by the increased resolution of the sensor.

LouisB

Helena

Those look really good biglouis! You're making the GH2 seem very tempting. :) I really liked the G1 body, which I have heard have the same image quality as GF1, but wasn't at all happy with the JPG quality (especially white balance which could be way off when I least expected it). Do you think JPGs from GH2 are noticably better (if you have tried it)?

biglouis

Those look really good biglouis! You're making the GH2 seem very tempting. :) I really liked the G1 body, which I have heard have the same image quality as GF1, but wasn't at all happy with the JPG quality (especially white balance which could be way off when I least expected it). Do you think JPGs from GH2 are noticably better (if you have tried it)?
To be fair, Helena, I never shoot in anything other than RAW. But with a GF-1 I would always have to do quite a bit of RAW processing in LR3 to get colours, luminosity and black point right. So far the capture from the GH-2 look right with little or no tweaking. I think that would suggest that JPEGs will also be much improved.

LouisB

Diane B

I'm more and more impressed with what I'm seeing from the GH2. Its on my list right now for upgrade but I'm not in a hurry so can wait to see if there's anythng else coming down the pike but I believe I would be happy with th GH2.

Diane

mathomas

There are some great photos in this thread. The color, esp. is phenomenal!

I'd like to replace my Canon 30D and lenses with something (much) smaller for when I just have to have an SLR-type camera (I mostly use, and enjoy, my M8 and DLUX4 for digital). I have a used Leica V-LUX 1 on the way from the B&S forum here, in order to try a superzoom as an DSLR replacement, though I know the ultimate quality will suffer. I'm also sort-of considering the Sony A33/55, or one of the m43 offerings. I must admit I haven't been a m43 believer, but these photos are starting to change my mind.

One question I have for those who are familiar with the format and the offerings: why aren't there more constant-aperture zoom lenses available for the format, say f/2.8? Seems the sensor size is small enough to allow a reasonably small zoom with such a design, at least given a reasonable zoom range (at least compared to my giant 17-55mm Canon EF-S). In my looking around, I seem to see pretty slow zooms. Is it a size thing, where the makers want to keep everything small?

Maybe I've missed something when looking around (?). Educate me.

Thanks...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One question I have for those who are familiar with the format and the offerings: why aren't there more constant-aperture zoom lenses available for the format, say f/2.8? Seems the sensor size is small enough to allow a reasonably small zoom with such a design, at least given a reasonable zoom range (at least compared to my giant 17-55mm Canon EF-S). In my looking around, I seem to see pretty slow zooms. Is it a size thing, where the makers want to keep everything small?

Maybe I've missed something when looking around (?). Educate me.

Thanks...
I believe those zooms will come, probably from Olympus. This is probably also one of the reasons why we haven't seen a pro m43 body from them yet; there are simply no lenses to match. There is a 12-50mm f/2.5-3.3 rumoured to be released from Panasonic this spring btw.

The best alternative at the moment seems to be the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3,5 II. It's compact, relatively light, has excellent build quality and seems to perform very well on m43 bodies. (I don't own the lens myself yet though, so take my recommendation for what it is.)

mathomas

Thanks, Jorgen. Useful info. I'll keep an eye out for the Panasonic lens.

And I just realized I may have gone OT here on the "fun with..." thread, which is for pictures. Please return to your regularly-scheduled programming :).

dick

Hi, See...

http://rosalindcaplisdanceadademy.co.uk/

My wife's website for which I took the pictures, the kids with certificates and the three balance were Lieca Dlux3, and the rest were GH2 with the 20mm f1.7 lens, with dance studio lighting. in the The "T on the box" I used the flash on the camera up-side down for fill, and the girl in the ballet dress was photographed by her father, I think.

They asked me to provide 2mb pictures, but they have downrezed them to 20Kb!

bensonga

Does the GH2 still have some fans out there in GetDPI land? :)
Just received mine a week ago and finally had a chance to put one of my Leica R lenses on it today. Looking forward to trying out the video and comparing still images with my G1....which I always thought was pretty good.

Gary

GH2 and 50mm Summicron-R

Paratom

Does the GH2 still have some fans out there in GetDPI land? :)
Just received mine a week ago and finally had a chance to put one of my Leica R lenses on it today. Looking forward to trying out the video and comparing still images with my G1....which I always thought was pretty good.

Gary

GH2 and 50mm Summicron-R
looks very 3d and real!

I just thought that it is crazy how many models we see in m4/3 and now then there are mirror less from Sony, Pentax, Nikon also coming into the game.
I am allways for innovation and progress but specially Panasonic and Olympus present too fast and too many cameras for my taste.
They make you feeling to have something "outdated" very fast, even though the real changes are not that big. I admit I also did junp back and forth.
GH2 seems one of the most complete packages in m4/3 world.
Regards, Tom

f6cvalkyrie

Like you, Gary, I'm a late adopter of new technologies. Maybe, that's because I work in the technology sector :D

Still, I got my GH2 a few weeks ago, and I am enjoying it very much. Quite an upgrade, coming from the G1.
I find myself using the kitlenses more often on the GH2, because AF is much faster. But I have used and will use my MF as well, of course !

Here's a few examples of what I did recently !

(Nikkor 50/1.4)

(45-200 AF)

(probably 14-45 AF)

(Nikkor 300/2.8 IF-ED + TC 300)

(Nikkor 300/2.8 IF-ED + TC 300)

C U,
Rafael