The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus E-5 after one month and 3800 exposures

Godfrey

Let me make it very simple: I love shooting with this camera. It produces photos with a *presence* quite distinct and delightful. I thought I was just over-enthused when I thought that, rationalizing the expenditure, but then I started receiving comments saying "wow, something's changed! These latest photos look different ... more alive ... something! ... What did you do?"

I went down to the annual "Christmas In The Park" playground with it last evening, carried just it fitted with the Summilux-D 25mm lens. Set the lens to f/1.8, the ISO to 1250, set S-AF and let the camera do its thing. Cracking AF: on target for 68 out of 76 difficult exposures in poor light. Superb color. Excellent exposure settings.

Olympus E-5 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 1250 @ f/1.8 @ 1/60 second

I can't say enough good about it. I'm very satisfied, very happy, to have chosen the Olympus E-5 as the basis for my photography for the foreseeable future. I can now completely ignore all the equipment chatter, wondering whether this one is 0.0002% better than that one, all that stuff, and do Photography again.

... "Equipment often gets in the way of Photography."... But then sometimes it doesn't. :)

clark666

How does the bulk and weight affect your photography. Do you hold it differently than a small camera. Do you notice the weight and take shorter walks?

raist3d

That's a really cool expression you got in there. Glad you like your E-5 and can now focus on photography. I am giving the K-5 one last test and passing that, that's the way I am heading.

When the shots are within the DR of the sensor, the Olympus workflow is really nice. I can totally see someone whose ISO range falls in the good of the E-5 sensor and DR, that will find this camera great for all work.

I would say the shot you've got is not out of range for an E-3. The E-1, E-3 and I am sure the E-5 all have that "presence" you talk about. Separates the low end from the high end in the Olympus line.

nugat

I have very similar positive experiences with E5. And of course the Zuiko glass , which is half of the equation. Together with the 12-60/2.8 it is the best combo I have ever used. I also have access to other glass, also SHG like 150/2 which is nothing short of amazing , if a bit unwieldy. All in all my search for the system for the next several years is over. I have tried on the way since the first canon rebel: RD1 and M8, 5Dm2, D700, m43 system. The one last thingy I am curious about is the Fuji x100. But that would be a companion, not a replacement.

Godfrey

How does the bulk and weight affect your photography. Do you hold it differently than a small camera. Do you notice the weight and take shorter walks?
I don't find it problematic at all. It requires a larger bag but I'm used to that sort of thing. It fits my hands well and balances beautifully.

I have a choice of lenses that make it a lot smaller and lighter when I prefer not to carry the heavier, faster lenses too.

Godfrey

I have very similar positive experiences with E5. And of course the Zuiko glass , which is half of the equation. Together with the 12-60/2.8 it is the best combo I have ever used. I also have access to other glass, also SHG like 150/2 which is nothing short of amazing , if a bit unwieldy. All in all my search for the system for the next several years is over. I have tried on the way since the first canon rebel: RD1 and M8, 5Dm2, D700, m43 system. The one last thingy I am curious about is the Fuji x100. But that would be a companion, not a replacement.
An X100 would be nice if its responsiveness is up to the level I want. It's definitely an adjunct to a system camera like the E-5, it would be nice to have a camera with that form factor for some situations. However, it's more of a luxury at the present time than a necessity: we'll see how it does when it is released.