Site Sponsors

Thread: Olympus E-5 after one month and 3800 exposures

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympus E-5 after one month and 3800 exposures

Let me make it very simple: I love shooting with this camera. It produces photos with a *presence* quite distinct and delightful. I thought I was just over-enthused when I thought that, rationalizing the expenditure, but then I started receiving comments saying "wow, something's changed! These latest photos look different ... more alive ... something! ... What did you do?"

I went down to the annual "Christmas In The Park" playground with it last evening, carried just it fitted with the Summilux-D 25mm lens. Set the lens to f/1.8, the ISO to 1250, set S-AF and let the camera do its thing. Cracking AF: on target for 68 out of 76 difficult exposures in poor light. Superb color. Excellent exposure settings.

Olympus E-5 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
    ISO 1250 @ f/1.8 @ 1/60 second

I can't say enough good about it. I'm very satisfied, very happy, to have chosen the Olympus E-5 as the basis for my photography for the foreseeable future. I can now completely ignore all the equipment chatter, wondering whether this one is 0.0002% better than that one, all that stuff, and do Photography again.

... "Equipment often gets in the way of Photography."... But then sometimes it doesn't. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Olympus E-5 after one month and 3800 exposures

How does the bulk and weight affect your photography. Do you hold it differently than a small camera. Do you notice the weight and take shorter walks?

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really cool expression you got in there. Glad you like your E-5 and can now focus on photography. I am giving the K-5 one last test and passing that, that's the way I am heading.

When the shots are within the DR of the sensor, the Olympus workflow is really nice. I can totally see someone whose ISO range falls in the good of the E-5 sensor and DR, that will find this camera great for all work.

I would say the shot you've got is not out of range for an E-3. The E-1, E-3 and I am sure the E-5 all have that "presence" you talk about. Separates the low end from the high end in the Olympus line.

Post Thanks / Like

I have very similar positive experiences with E5. And of course the Zuiko glass , which is half of the equation. Together with the 12-60/2.8 it is the best combo I have ever used. I also have access to other glass, also SHG like 150/2 which is nothing short of amazing , if a bit unwieldy. All in all my search for the system for the next several years is over. I have tried on the way since the first canon rebel: RD1 and M8, 5Dm2, D700, m43 system. The one last thingy I am curious about is the Fuji x100. But that would be a companion, not a replacement.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clark666 View Post
    How does the bulk and weight affect your photography. Do you hold it differently than a small camera. Do you notice the weight and take shorter walks?
    I don't find it problematic at all. It requires a larger bag but I'm used to that sort of thing. It fits my hands well and balances beautifully.

I have a choice of lenses that make it a lot smaller and lighter when I prefer not to carry the heavier, faster lenses too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nugat View Post
    I have very similar positive experiences with E5. And of course the Zuiko glass , which is half of the equation. Together with the 12-60/2.8 it is the best combo I have ever used. I also have access to other glass, also SHG like 150/2 which is nothing short of amazing , if a bit unwieldy. All in all my search for the system for the next several years is over. I have tried on the way since the first canon rebel: RD1 and M8, 5Dm2, D700, m43 system. The one last thingy I am curious about is the Fuji x100. But that would be a companion, not a replacement.
    An X100 would be nice if its responsiveness is up to the level I want. It's definitely an adjunct to a system camera like the E-5, it would be nice to have a camera with that form factor for some situations. However, it's more of a luxury at the present time than a necessity: we'll see how it does when it is released.