Site Sponsors

Thread: CV 50.1.1 vs. 1.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

CV 50.1.1 vs. 1.5

Did anybody do side by side comparison of output at same apertures? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CV 50.1.1 vs. 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by ZoranC View Post
    Did anybody do side by side comparison of output at same apertures? Thank you!
    No, but I have owned both. I kept the Nokton 1.5 over the 1.1 if that tells you anything. I liked the 1.1 but my copy was awfully soft wide open and I gradually began to resent that fact. My Nokton 1.5 is also soft wide open (to be expected, btw) but its performance at f2 and above is just spectacular (as is the 1.1) but at a much lower cost.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

But how soft is "soft wide open" Louis?

I have a CV50/1.5. When comparing it, the resolution in this case, to a Zeiss Contax Planar 50/1.7 they are nearly impossible to tell apart. The Planar 50/1.7 is generally considered to be very sharp wide open.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    No, but I have owned both. I kept the Nokton 1.5 over the 1.1 if that tells you anything. I liked the 1.1 but my copy was awfully soft wide open and I gradually began to resent that fact. My Nokton 1.5 is also soft wide open (to be expected, btw) but its performance at f2 and above is just spectacular (as is the 1.1) but at a much lower cost.

LouisB
    Louis, thank you for your vauable input. How they compared when 1.1 was at 1.4 and 1.5 was at 1.5? What about same but at 1.8? Was performance past 2 identical, where one could not be able to tell them apart, or there was still some difference and if yes where? Thank you again!