The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe micro four thirs lens profiles?

J

jwestra

Like many of you I always use lightroom 3 to process my raw files. Lightroom 3 has the ability to automatically correct certain distortions given a suitable lens profile.
Does anyone know if these lens profiles are available somewhere for the micro four thirds lenses?

Terry

The corrections for micro 4/3 files are already built into the files so you don't need to have additional profiles. If you open a RAW file in LR 3.3 and then a different RAW converter that doesn't recognize the profiles the resulting file will look very different.

J

jwestra

I already read this information somewhere. But I think with Olympus lenses and body's they only correct perspective corrections. (Not for vignetting, CA, etc.)

I also find it a bit strange that it does not show up in the lens profile settings.

pjphoto59

The corrections for micro 4/3 files are already built into the files so you don't need to have additional profiles. If you open a RAW file in LR 3.3 and then a different RAW converter that doesn't recognize the profiles the resulting file will look very different.
Terry,

I convert Olymps RAW files to DNG and then process in Lightrom 3.3 and Photoshop CS2.

For all my Olympus 4/3 lenses I can convert to DNG and then work in either LR or PSCS2.

I also have two M4/3 lenses 17mm and 14-42. The RAW (DNG) files from these cannot be opened in CS2 which cannot interpret the lens corrections which, as you say, are built into the RAW file.

These files can be opened and processed in LR3.3, but the Olympus corrections are not "complete". For quality work these lenses need further correction for barrel distortion and CA. These further corrections can be applied in LR3, and it is for these corrections that proper profiles are really needed.

Another good way of making the corrections is by the PTLens plug-in in CS2 (I go there by converting to TIFF).

It seems at great pity that having decided to apply lens corrections in RAW Oly does a half-done job so that further corrections are required.

PeterJ

Godfrey

... I also have two M4/3 lenses 17mm and 14-42. The RAW (DNG) files from these cannot be opened in CS2 which cannot interpret the lens corrections which, as you say, are built into the RAW file. ...
If you change the DNG Converter v6.3 preferences to create .DNG files compatible with "Camera Raw 2.4 and later", you can open these files in CS2 (with Camera Raw 3.7). All the included lens corrections will be applied.

The .DNG files will have linear representation RGB sensor data, which means that the RGB mosaic data has been interpolated and channel organized, then the corrections applied. This is the same operation as the first phase of the Lightroom 3.3 or Camera Raw 6.3 raw conversion, so the results are virtually the same, leaving the 12-bit linear gamma correction to Camera Raw v3.7 to do. The only downside is the .DNG files are approximately 40-45 Mbytes apiece.

Godfrey

Adobe supports the built-in lens corrections for Micro-FourThirds lenses and does not supply supplementary external lens correction profiles.

Of course, you can develop whatever additional, supplementary external lens correction profiles you want via the Adobe Lens Profile Creator (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/) and add these corrections to what you can select for Lightroom or Camera Raw. With Lightroom, if you embed them into a Develop preset, you can apply them easily to as many images as you wish almost instantaneously.

pjphoto59

Rather than try to learn the Adobe Lens Profile Creator; I have made User Presets to give a one-click correction for the 17mm and 25mm lenses. Other lenses I mainly use are the 12-60, 50-200 and 35mm and I find that in most cases none of these need any correction.

What I do not have a solution for yet, is the M14-42. I may need to make several presets one for each of the marked FL's.

PeterJ

J

jwestra

I think that by now, everyone agrees that we could use some lens profiles to make some (extra) corrections. Are these profiles available somewhere?
(I know I could try to make my own but they will probably not be as accurate as professionally created ones.)

Godfrey

I think that by now, everyone agrees that we could use some lens profiles to make some (extra) corrections. Are these profiles available somewhere?
(I know I could try to make my own but they will probably not be as accurate as professionally created ones.)
I haven't seen any listed.

Personally, I haven't seen the need to create any. So far, simple Lightroom presets have covered all my needs.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Re: Adobe micro four thirds lens profiles?

Did anyone ever find a source for Olympus lens profiles?

It looks like I'm going to have to create profiles for my 12/2, 25/1.4 & 45/1.8 for the E-P3 because they pretty strong CA in ACR and just seem like they need some serious tweaking. Now if someone else has already gone through the effort and shared them it would certainly save some time. I'm quite surprised actually that none existed up on Adobe's site for the profile downloader actually since they've been out a while.

Any pointers to profiles out there?

Last edited:

les

Some time back I created my own profiles for my LC1 and my D-Lux 3 - it was a bit time consuming. Then I heard that apparently it's a waste of time since, as mentioned above, the profiles are built-in to the image files. That said, there are times when my home made profiles seem to correct for distortion - so those that do architectural stuff might find the exercise worthwhile, and a way to wile away a winter evening.
FWIW Adobe are supposed to have a library of profiles available for download, some created by them, others submitted by users.

Update - Adobe seem to have updated the Downloader and the Profile Creator Tool (Apr 2011) they can be downloaded by those interested. I'm surprised to find there's even one for the G3 - something else to play with..........

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I checked the Adobe list (You have to manually enter "Olympus Imaging" btw) and it was pretty bare for E-P series which surprised me to be honest.

I've just gone with CA adjustment, raw sharpening, NR and distortion fixes in C1 Pro and ACR for now. the bottom line seems to be that neither of these converters do a particularly spectacular job out of the box IMHO. :thumbdown: