The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problem with m42 Pentax to 4/3 adapter on G1

larryk

I just received an adapter from Fotodiox to mount Pentax screwmount lenses on my G1. The adapter that came works okay with two of my lenses (55mm f1.8 and 135mm lenses), but it does not work with the one I bought it for. The Takamur 50mm F1.4 lens has a metal tab that extends below the threads into the chamber of the G1. It hits a lip on the Fotodiox adapter that prevents the lens from screwing in all the way. So, there's no way that it will work or focus to infinity. Presumably, this lens has the tab because the glass extends past the threads into the original Pentax SLR camera (the others do not do this). The tab is totally unnecessary with the G1 because the adapter adds considerable extra room between the lens and the inside of the G1. So, does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a different type of M42 adapter that does not have this problem, or am I stuck with no way to use this classic lens on my G1? Thanks in advance.

Tesselator

Don't ruin your lens! If it's nice it has a current resale value of up to $200. With the fin cut off I wouldn't Pay $5 for it (well, maybe $5 ;)). Instead be intelligent and buy the appropriate adapter! There are two types of M42 adapters; Flanged and Flangeless. Some M42 lenses need the flange in order to set the aperture engage pin. Most "real" M42 lens mounts that incorporate this do so as a humped island (or push pin/lever) within the mount so that the tab can rotate around on the outside of it. The solid lipped flange on the flanged type M42 adapters prevent this - as you've found out.

Here's a link to the flangeless type you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-f-M42-L...ccessories&hash=item27b1ad8a92#ht_2887wt_1141

larryk

Tesselator: Thanks for the quick reply. You're right and the adapter you recommended doesn't seem to have the solid lipped flange like the one I have. I wrote to Fotodiox about the problem, but no answer yet. It looks like Fotodiox now sells the same adapter you recommended. The one I just received from them does not look like the one they now are showing on their web site. In fact, it looks like the one sold on the FotoCola site. The photo of both adapters also say: 42x1M-m4/3, with a red dot directly underneath. Nothing else. All the other adapters shown on the Fotodiox web site have the Fotodiox brand name in front of the label for the type of adapter except the one for M42 lenses. If I'm lucky, this is the case and Fotodiox will just send me the correct one in exchange for the one I now have. If not, I'll buy the one you recommended. The good news is that the cost is under US $20.00. Thanks for your help; I was about to give up.

Tesselator

Well, there are two kinds for a reason. :) Some lenses need that flange. If you plan on growing your lens collection you might wanna buy the other one and keep both.

And yeah, Fotodiox are buying their adapters from the same group of Hong-Kong manufacturers that everyone else is. Most of their adapters will be identical with one of only two or three types and common among 20 or 30 e-pay sellers. All of those Hong-Kong manufacturers will print anything asked of them on the adapters if you order quantity. Fotodiox just hasn't done that yet, they probably will soon tho. :D I checked into doing that myself. If I'm not mistaken Fotodiox are the ones asking a major premium for that. Right? Also I think they created a few (one?) of the manufacturing specifications that are now common among those e-pay sellers I mentioned.

larryk

I considered keeping the adapter with the flange for the other two lenses. One reason, it only cost $12.00 via Amazon.com (still shipped by Fotodiox). I'm not sure it's worth the return shipping cost to send it back for an exchange. The one without the flange at either place is still only $ 19.95 or so. This is a far cry from the prices that all the adapters were selling for when the m4/3 cameras hit the scene. Who wouldn't pay 20 bucks to see how the thing works? Meanwhile, I like the photos on the web site you sent me, so I'll probably order it from them. You can see the non-flange on their photos, or rather you cannot see a flange. It's not so clear on the Fotodiox site.

RichA

Don't ruin your lens! If it's nice it has a current resale value of up to $200. With the fin cut off I wouldn't Pay $5 for it (well, maybe $5 ;)). Instead be intelligent and buy the appropriate adapter! There are two types of M42 adapters; Flanged and Flangeless. Some M42 lenses need the flange in order to set the aperture engage pin. Most "real" M42 lens mounts that incorporate this do so as a humped island (or push pin/lever) within the mount so that the tab can rotate around on the outside of it. The solid lipped flange on the flanged type M42 adapters prevent this - as you've found out.

Here's a link to the flangeless type you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Adapter-f-M42-L...ccessories&hash=item27b1ad8a92#ht_2887wt_1141
There are three (that I know of) types of M42 lenses. 2 Pentax and one Mamiya. Additionally, there are some M42's out there that started out life as T-mount lenses and have a kind of M42 to T-mount adapter on them.

Tesselator

I'm saying there are 2 different kinds of adapters - not lenses. Are you saying that there are 3 different kinds of adapters?