The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 4/3 adapter question

peterb

I have the G1 and if I were to use the 4/3's adapter for use with Olympus high grade and super high grade optics it would be manual focus only.

Now apparently, the GH2 (as well as most other models AFTER the G1) can be used in AF (single not continuous) with most of these superb lenses using the adapter. (I think the 150mm f2.0 prime is still the only 4/3 optic that's still MF only but most of the others apparently allow AFS with the adapter.)

I'm particularly interested in the GH2 now as a MAJOR improvement with its new image processor, faster AF and huge jump in sensor size.

Could anyone who has the GH2 and the 4/3's adapter tell me how well or how fast (if at all) Zuiko 4/3's HG and SHG lenses focus on it.

While I'm sure the performance isn't speedy is it okay? Or, is it dog-days-in-August slow?

Just need to get an idea. Thanks.

CPWarner

are they not still making the G2 as micro 4/3? Have not read of the increase in sensor size

would be pleased however to get better AF from Olympus lenses :)

Happy New Year to everyone
Yes, they are still making the G2, G10 and GF1. Those are all 12 megapixel sensors. The GH2 is the replacement for the GH1, and has the new 16 megapixel image size (like the GH1 the sensor is larger so other image sizes are not crops).

Rich M

Now apparently, the GH2 (as well as most other models AFTER the G1) can be used in AF (single not continuous) with most of these superb lenses using the adapter.

Could anyone who has the GH2 and the 4/3's adapter tell me how well or how fast (if at all) Zuiko 4/3's HG and SHG lenses focus on it.
Peter -

I am using the Olympus 11-22mm f/2.8-3.5 ZD on the GH2 with the Panasonic adapter. It is slow.....not like cold molasses, but slow. (I don't really care that much about focus speed since I use it mostly for landscape. It has good optics and I can hang my ND filters off the front.)

The focus is very accurate and it doesn't rack and hunt.....even in low light. It makes the 12-60 start to look very appealing.

Hope this helps.

R

pellicle

Yes, they are still making the G2, G10 and GF1. Those are all 12 megapixel sensors. The GH2 is the replacement for the GH1, and has the new 16 megapixel image size (like the GH1 the sensor is larger so other image sizes are not crops).
Not sure I understand what you mean here, but if you're referring to the 16:9 taking advantage of the extra width of the sensor. I understand (from files given to me from GH1 usersthat the native area of a GH1 is 4018 x 3016 pixels, while the native area of a G1 is exactly the same.

While people think that the G1 only has 4000 pixels of width, when using other software (such as dcraw) you can get at the small extra width of 4018 pixels which is normally used for image corrections.

Either way I don't think you'll find that the extra size is anywhere near as substantial as the move up to APS-C which defenders of 4/3 will not normally say is a "huge jump in size"

Unless going up in megapixel count is the huge jump in size that the OP was talking about. On that topic I'm moot ... I'll need to see if the extra pixels come at a cost of noise in high ISO

:)
This article seems to show

photoSmart42

Not sure I understand what you mean here, but if you're referring to the 16:9 taking advantage of the extra width of the sensor. I understand (from files given to me from GH1 usersthat the native area of a GH1 is 4018 x 3016 pixels, while the native area of a G1 is exactly the same.
Not quite. One of the significant advantages of using a GHx series over any other m4/3 body is the fact that the GH bodies use a much larger sensor in order to maintain a constant angle-of-view. Here's the resolution of the different GH bodies in different aspect modes (as you can see it's significantly different than the 4018x3016 you mentioned - whoever gave you those files was only shooting in 4:3 aspect ratio, which doesn't highlight the full capability of the sensor):

GH1:
4000 x 3000 (4:3)
4128 x 2752 (3:2)
4352 x 2448 (16:9)

GH2:
4608 x 3456 (4:3)
4752 x 3168 (3:2)
4976 x 2800 (16:9)

G1/G2/GF1 (etc.):
4000 x 2672 (3:2)
4000 x 2248 (16:9)

This means that a 14mm lens on a GH1, for example, has the equivalent horizontal FOV of roughly a 12mm lens in 16:9 mode. Very useful feature in shooting wide angle lenses with these bodies, which is normally a limitation for small sensors like these.

biglouis

GH2:
4608 x 3456 (4:3)
4752 x 3168 (3:2)
4976 x 2800 (16:9)
Dragos

Thanks for explaining this. Makes it a lot clearer than I previously understood.

Does the choice of aspect ratio affect the signal to noise ratio of the sensor, e.g. would you expect the same high iso performance at all aspect ratios?

LouisB

pellicle

Hi Dragos

Not quite. One of the significant advantages of using a GHx series over any other m4/3 body is the fact that the GH bodies use a much larger sensor in order to maintain a constant angle-of-view. Here's the resolution of the different GH bodies in different aspect modes (as you can see it's significantly different than the 4018x3016 you mentioned - whoever gave you those files was only shooting in 4:3 aspect ratio, which doesn't highlight the full capability of the sensor):

GH1:
4128 x 2752 (3:2)
4352 x 2448 (16:9)
those numbers are interesting. I have in the past looked for the measurements of the 16:9 mode on the GH1 and not found much information on it. It seems that (based on those dimensions) the sensor may approach the width of APS-C sensors. Interesting

Still ... in my vocab that's not "huge" ... like say a 36mm sensor width.

others may of course speak differently on the topic.

I just wish I could get a full frame 35mm sensor in a camera the size and weight of the G1, even at 12 Megapixels (I have this 21mm lens I really like on full frame ;-)

thanks for the input

photoSmart42

Dragos

Thanks for explaining this. Makes it a lot clearer than I previously understood.

Does the choice of aspect ratio affect the signal to noise ratio of the sensor, e.g. would you expect the same high iso performance at all aspect ratios?

LouisB
No, there's no difference I know of regarding different SNR at different aspect ratios. Basically the processor is simply using different portions of the over-size sensor, which is why the GH sensors are physically larger (18 x 13.5mm) than the normal 4/3 sensors (17.3 x 13.0mm), and come in slightly closer to APS-C size (22.7 x 15.1 mm).

Panasonic's LUMIX website explains it pretty clearly here if you're interested in the details: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh2/high_speed.html

photoSmart42

I just wish I could get a full frame 35mm sensor in a camera the size and weight of the G1, even at 12 Megapixels (I have this 21mm lens I really like on full frame ;-)
I'd be happy with an APS-C or m4/3 sensor in a body as weather-sealed like the K-5, frankly, but I hear what you're saying. =)

pellicle

I'd be happy with an APS-C or m4/3 sensor in a body as weather-sealed like the K-5, frankly, but I hear what you're saying. =)
ok ... so two models, the APS-C and the full frame version in a weather sealed body with an EVF like the G[H]1 and a flange distance to allow all manner of mounts.

Preferably it also comes with a carton of beer to make reading the manual more interesting.

;)