The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 with m43 SLR Magic 35mm f/1.7 (effect lens)

Diane B

Interesting Uwe. I have read the small review of Steve Huff's and one on Youtube (German). Its intriguing but I have a Nikkor 35/2 with the tilt so am not sure if this would add much for me creatively. On the small side though it looked teeny on thr Youtube video. Looking forward to seeing it on your m4/3 bodies and I understand there is a NEX mount also. 35mm is a FL I use quite a lot so i'm always interested in what's out there, esp. in a very affordable price range and for more creative uses.

Diane

Rawfa

I just got one of these for the NEX system. I'm yet to receive it but looks like lots of fun at a this price.

Jonas

I got dizzy just looking at the foliage.
Dizzy only? My eyes started to ache.
There has been quite some discussion on this lens at DPR. In the end I never got interested in the lens at all. Perhaps something else will happen here? But the first image is awful to me while the second one could have been taken with about any lens, unless I missed something about it.

/Jonas

Rawfa

I think you can get quite creative with this lens and it's pseudo tilt & shift effect. It's just not a 35mm persé...specially at this price. I'm actually very eager for mine to arrive so that I may test it with my NEX5.

Roel

I just received this lens (in m43 mount) this week and I have been playing with it on my GH2. Given the price, it is great and I am happy with it. I think it is awesome that we m43 (and NEX) owners have even more options with regard to lenses. For the price, it is a nice addition to my kit.

Here is a photo of the master of our home shot with this lens (wide open at f/1.7 and focal point was the left eye - shot in RAW, converted in LR 3.3 with default settings and resized for the web) ...

ustein

Contributing Editor
I just received this lens (in m43 mount) this week and I have been playing with it on my GH2. Given the price, it is great and I am happy with it. I think it is awesome that we m43 (and NEX) owners have even more options with regard to lenses. For the price, it is a nice addition to my kit.

Here is a photo of the master of our home (shot with this lens... wide open at f/1.7 and focal point was the left eye) ...
Very nice.

Jonas

I just received this lens (in m43 mount) this week (...)
Here is a photo of the master of our home (...)
:)

That's a nice image! In a way it's the opposite use of the lens compared to the images Uwe started the thread with. A fast 70mm equivalent lens good for portraits with no leaves or similar in the background!? (I still can't make friends with the swirl, and more, in the first image).

Roel

:)

That's a nice image! In a way it's the opposite use of the lens compared to the images Uwe started the thread with. A fast 70mm equivalent lens good for portraits with no leaves or similar in the background!? (I still can't make friends with the swirl, and more, in the first image).
Thanks. I also have a Nikon D3 (actually, 2 of them for my wedding work) and one of my favourite lenses for portraiture is the Nikon 85mm f/1.4D. It is sharp in the centre but soft on the edges and corners wide open (or even stopped down a little) ... so when I photograph a subject such as a bride, I can keep their eye(s) sharp in the centre of the frame and from there, you get this dreamy soft OOF look all around it, especially if the portion of the scene near the edges of the frame are not in the same focus plane. I always use this lens wide open.

I figured the SLR Magic lens has a similar sharp "Sweet Spot" near the centre of the frame too (from Steve Huff's review), so I just used it the same way as my Nikon 85/1.4

Not bad for this really tiny $100 lens. I know it is MF, however, the GH2 (and other Panny m43 bodies) make MF a dream to use.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>That's a nice image! In a way it's the opposite use of the lens compared to the images Uwe started the thread with.

I agree and learned the lesson. Here is one with the 26mm "Toy Lens":