Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    I might be interested in purchasing a Panasonic m 4/3 Fisheye lens. I have used the Canon version before and liked the results, as long as I don't use this lens for too many shots since the fisheye effect can become tiresome.

    Any experience with the Panasonic version???? It seems rather $$$ for such a specialized lens.

    Thanks.

    Martin

  2. #2
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    I might be interested in purchasing a Panasonic m 4/3 Fisheye lens. I have used the Canon version before and liked the results, as long as I don't use this lens for too many shots since the fisheye effect can become tiresome.

    Any experience with the Panasonic version???? It seems rather $$$ for such a specialized lens.

    Thanks.

    Martin
    No, but I would ask the supplemental question: what's it for, when the 7-14 is a similar price.

    LouisB

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    I don't. Never understood the appeal of fisheye lenses myself. They're kinda neat for a few shots, but I imagine the appeal wears out after a while. Certainly not worth the asking price for this lens IMO. I suspect they're not meant for the US audience.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Well, it would be a different animal from the 7-14 as the 8mm is a fisheye, and not a rectilinear lens.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

    Cliff

  5. #5
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Sometimes they can be fun on video as an effect lens.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    Well, it would be a different animal from the 7-14 as the 8mm is a fisheye, and not a rectilinear lens.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

    Cliff
    Thanks for the reference. I suppose my question was more along the lines of, what gives a wider field of view, a 8mm fisheye or the 7mm setting on my 7-14? If it is the 7mm setting then why would one want a 8mm fisheye - apart from, say, the slightly smaller size compared to the 7-14?

    LouisB

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Thanks for the reference. I suppose my question was more along the lines of, what gives a wider field of view, a 8mm fisheye or the 7mm setting on my 7-14? If it is the 7mm setting then why would one want a 8mm fisheye - apart from, say, the slightly smaller size compared to the 7-14?

    LouisB
    FOV comparison:
    Panasonic Ultra Wide Angle Rectilinear 7-14mm: 114 deg @ 7mm
    Panasonic Diagonal Fisheye 8mm: 180 deg
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    If the fish eye view becomes too tiresome, by using it in too many images, there is software to reduce/remove the fish eye look but still keep the extreme wide angle view. So in essence, the lens would be to provide an even wider wide angle lens view than the 7-14mm, and still look more like a conventional wide angle lens.

    A really wide, wide angle lens.

    Martin

  9. #9
    Senior Member mediumcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,486
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    If the fish eye view becomes too tiresome, by using it in too many images, there is software to reduce/remove the fish eye look but still keep the extreme wide angle view. So in essence, the lens would be to provide an even wider wide angle lens view than the 7-14mm, and still look more like a conventional wide angle lens.

    A really wide, wide angle lens.

    Martin
    Corners will be crap, however. Edges/corners of fisheye lens images are very distorted and not especially sharp to start with; “squaring-up software” merely emphasises this.
    Last edited by mediumcool; 13th January 2011 at 08:22. Reason: added new sentence for clarity

  10. #10
    Senior Member Y.B.Hudson III's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    314
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    fisheYe = an essential for Skateboarding & Parkour video shoots...:bang:

  11. #11
    Senior Member f6cvalkyrie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    If you find the original Panasonic 8mm too expensive (like I), then you might opt for a fisheye 0.25 focal length multiplier.
    Gives very nice fisheye effect when mounted on the 14-45 kit lens.
    Here's a few examples with the kitlens @ 14mm







    Have a nice day,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    Have anybody tried the Samyang 8mm fisheye on 4/3 or m4/3? It's designed for APS-C, so there should be a lot of "fish" left, and it's only around half the price of the Panasonic.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Anyone using a Panasonic 8mm Fisheye lens??

    I found some samples of the Samyang used on the GF1 on flickr. Looks like a decent combo if you can't afford the Panasonic fisheye.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •