The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 (Image Thread)

agoglanian

Hi Guys!

Figured I'd get the ball rolling for this new lens as some of us have it in hand now. I only have a few test samples so far but hopefully I'll have more this weekend after my day trip.

I got mine a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to REALLY get out with it (I will hopefully have some good stuff this weekend).

Here are a few test examples from me though. They're not terribly exciting, I just wanted to make sure the lens worked properly :)

Testing the Lumix G 14mm f/2.5 by agphotography, on Flickr

So far I really like this tiny little lens. I haven't evaluated it from a technical standpoint, but it gives me sharp images and a wider view than my 20mm pancake. I like it :D

trisberg

I like this lens as well even though the image seems to fall a part a bit at the edges. It shows pretty strong CA and gets a bit soft. Maybe the GF1 is better at correcting some of this. I've been using it on an Olympus E-P2 but will try a GF1 later this week.

A couple of shots from Concord, Massachusetts.

It definitely seems to have pretty good flare resistance properties.

-Thomas

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The lens has very fast AF on the GF1. It also is very quiet.
I actually thought it wasn't working but the green target light confirms focus. It's almost instantaneous AF.
I will post some images later as I can't from the iphoney.

agoglanian

I agree I was so used to how the 20mm f/1.7 sounds that I kept waiting for it to focus! This thing is QUICK.

Tim

Abram,

Interesting that your signature shows you use a GF1 with the 20mm and 14mm pair. I was going to start a thread to see if anyone has put together this minimal kit.

It would be great to be able to pair these two with say a small 40 or 50mm tele for a three lens kit, similar then to what many had with the Contax G (28/45/90) series. Maybe someone will release such a lens.

How do you find you carry your GF1 and lens pair? Case suggestions?

I like your Aspens image, a very peaceful place - thanks for posting.

agoglanian

Abram... it appears you debunked the soft edge theory.....
Yeah I was surprised too, this was only at f/4 and the edges looked pretty solid to me, but I've yet to find anything to complain about with this lens. There was a bit of vignetting in this shot which I dialed out slightly. But it was also just bland overcast light.

I dig this little lens!

Abram,

Interesting that your signature shows you use a GF1 with the 20mm and 14mm pair. I was going to start a thread to see if anyone has put together this minimal kit.

It would be great to be able to pair these two with say a small 40 or 50mm tele for a three lens kit, similar then to what many had with the Contax G (28/45/90) series. Maybe someone will release such a lens.

Tim - Thank you for the compliment, I enjoy the apartment complex too :), yes that is actually the EXACT setup that I'm looking to replicate. I'm hoping there is a small 40-50mm lens coming out this year which would round out the kit perfectly.

As far as carrying everything, I currently am using a Domke F-5xb small shoulder bag. I had one long ago but sold it because it was too small. Little did I know it would be perfect for this kit! It would be able to easily carry the third lens (plus I also have my LVF1 in there too) and it's far from "over-stuffed". I've always been a fan of Domke bags so I have a small bias, but it really is ideal for this type of camera.

- Abram

seakayaker

Abram,

Enjoyed the photos produced with the 14/2.5 . . . . .

. . . . . throw a manual lens in the mix and pick up the Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4 with an adaptor!

You will have a very nice 14, 20 & 40 combo . . . . .

Tim

. . . . . throw a manual lens in the mix and pick up the Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4 with an adaptor!

You will have a very nice 14, 20 & 40 combo . . . . .
Now that is an interesting idea, an option at least until an AF lens is available. - Cheers for that!

As far as carrying everything, I currently am using a Domke F-5xb small shoulder bag. I had one long ago but sold it because it was too small.
Now this is a little co-incidental, I did the same thing with the F-5XB and have been looking for a subsitute ever since. One of the Think Tank Retrospectives may fit the bill - http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-10-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx

But I am not sure I like the big flap. Its what mainly made me sell the F-5XB I had. Their Urban Disguise 20 model may get the nod.

agoglanian

I have a Think Tank retro10 and it's honestly way too big for a kit like this. I use it for my DSLR kit.

Here's another one from me today.

Salton Sea Beach by agphotography, on Flickr

I like the idea of a lens like the CV 40mm, I've long debated if it would be comfortable to work with.

bennettk

I appreciate these posts and the included photos. I was late to the m4/3 party, picking up a GF1 and the 20/1.7 last summer. I've been waiting for the 14mm so I can start a modern version of the traditional 3-lens RF kit.

FWIW I got a $30 adapter to mount my old Canon FD lenses. Playing with the 50/1.4 FD SSC, the results are very good, though I haven't shot any "real" photos with it yet. Magnifying the center of the image is quick and easy on the GF1.

J

jakieff

these are some pics from Brussels with the new 14mm on a GF1.
iso settings 640 and 1000. Converted from raw in LR.

Jacques