The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the m43 Voigtlaender 25mm f/0.95 lens

ustein

Contributing Editor
One of our first tests with the Voigtlaender 25mm f/0.95 lens. Shot wide open.

Jonas

I know, it is not my thing to know but anyway... When spelling the trade mark Voigtländer we see some different ways to do it:
1) Voigtländer (as it should be spelled)
2) Voigtlander (as some have a problem with the dots above the a)
3) Voigtlaender (which is a way to make a simple phonetic variation)

I like the first the best. As a Swede I have no problems with the German "ä". But it is more common to see the second version which is the short Internet way to simply skip the dots. The third, and the one used here, is nice, works fine for me, but will seldom generate a hit when searching a forum or eBay, for example.

CV works, commonly, as a short for Cosina Voigtländer. Maybe the good folks over at the rangefinder forum(s) are most familiar with this short.

CV Nokton 25/0.95 may not be a very good thread title. Or it may?

Uwe, your name sounds German to me, but your choice was Voigtlaender... I'm not sure but I think it may be a good idea to ask a mod to switch the title of this thread to
Fun with the Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 25/0.95.

Here is one taken in a way the lens probably is not supposed to be used in, wide open for sunny landscapes...

Above: G1, CV25, f/0.95, 1/4000
I'm in the learning to know the lens -process. Some LoCA is removed and that accentuated the ugly horizon line.

regards,

Jonas

Terry

Jonas,
Did you need an ND filter to shoot wide open.

Also, laziness on the spelling for us Americans who have to go and find the dotted A under special characters :).

wjlapier

Jonas,

Also, laziness on the spelling for us Americans who have to go and find the dotted A under special characters :).
I don't even know where to find special characters.

Jonas, that lens looks to be pretty sharp wide open. hmmm...

Diane B

I wonder about the ND filter also and hate to admit it, but I rarely add the dots--lazy American too LOL. I can with Ipad, Voigtländer, but generally type without.

seakayaker

. . . . . the Voigtlander 25/0.95 is a wonderful lens . . . . .

Ava & Lindsay

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/4000

Jonas

Jonas,
No ND filter. The image was taken early in the morning, the sun was just up, and I got away with the short shutter time.

A Swedish keyboard is well suited for µ4/3 and Voigtländer. We are all lazy and if there hadn't been an "ä" right at my right pinkie I would spell Voigtländer without the dots as well. But it should always be µ4/3. I dislike "MFT".

Jonas, that lens looks to be pretty sharp wide open. hmmm...
Well, that's lazy. Please go find out about that...
No, the CV25 isn't "sharp" wide open in the way most modern internet pixel peepers judges "sharp". It is just "good enough" and small web images are always sharp, aren't they? The CV25 is about as "sharp" as the PL25, in the center and f-stop by f-stop. A PL25 is of cousre the Panasonic Lumix Leica D Summilux 1:1.4/25 ASPH. Abbrevs are good.

I wonder about the ND filter also and hate to admit it, but I rarely add the dots--lazy American too LOL. I can with Ipad, Voigtländer, but generally type without.
OK, let's see it this way; being lazy is the greatest force behind all innovations. For the good and the bad...

Cheers,

/Jonas

Jonas

One of our first tests with the Voigtlaender 25mm f/0.95 lens. Shot wide open.

Uwe, is that image from the same place you took the video of a robot doing something? I like the hydraulics and all the other details there!

. . . . . the Voigtlander 25/0.95 is a wonderful lens . . . . .
For me it is the lens letting me have the most fun with the camera; it comes with some annoying flaws one has to think about, the focus throw is on the short end but it is manual, it is fast for our cameras and it is sharp enough, simply put good enough and with some personality. I haven't used my PL25 since I got the Voigtländer.

regards,

/Jonas

Godfrey

On Mac OS X with the US English keyboard, the "dots" (or ¨ :: German umlaut marking) are added to vowels by typing Optiion-u and then the target vowel. EG:

Umlaut-a :: type 'option-u' then 'a' = ä
Capital Umlaut-u :: type 'option-u' then 'shift-u' - Ü

Note:
Open System Preferences and choose the International panel, Input Menu tab. Turn on the Keyboard Viewer and/or Character Palette tools. That puts a drop-down menu into the menu bar. If you choose the Keyboard Viewer, pressing the Option key will highlight all the available two-key press diacritical marking character keys. Once you know where the modifier keys are, it's easy to type characters such as è, é, ü, ä, ñ without having to search for them.

Oh yeah, the lens looks nice. ;-)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>3) Voigtlaender (which is a way to make a simple phonetic variation)

I try to use this version as I am German and my name is Steinmüller. But in the US my name is now Steinmueller. For me typing Umlaute is too much of a hassle :). Ue and Ü sound exactly the same and you really have to know what maybe right or wrong.

In the old times (before the 80s) Vogtländer was a household name for cameras.

Rich M

My kids watch very little TV :rolleyes:.

GH2, 25mm Nokton wide open
Amin.....you know what surprises me about the shot of your kids and Uwe's shot of the workshop is that wide open (0.95.....which is pretty unbelievable) is the fairly wide depth of field.

Somehow, I would have thought that the plane of focus would be razor thin.

Seemingly not the case......any comments on that?

Rich

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Seemingly not the case......any comments on that?

I am surprised too. But then think that this is the DOF of a 25mm wide angle lens. Ever shot a 25mm on FF 35mm for shallow DOF?

You have to get close (not sure was full open but likely 1.4). Too bad there is no EXIF info.

Last edited:

Amin

Rich, I think it's about right considering that a 25mm f/0.95 lens in this format should give similar DOF to a 50mm f/2 lens in 35mm format... or, as Uwe said, considering that it is a 25mm lens (irrespective of format).

This lens has a very short minimum focus distance, though, so the DOF can be very thin indeed. This wasn't even at the minimum focus distance:

Here's one from relatively close:

ZoranC

I too am surprised about DOF I am seeing, especially in Jonas' shot, as DOF of 25mm lens @ F1 is only third of a foot at 5 feet.

However, it is impossible for me to comment with certainity as I neither know exact distances nor can see these shots at 100% SOOC.

seakayaker

. . . . . all taken wide open . . . . .

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 400 -- f0.95 -- 1/2500

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/20

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/10

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/15

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/1300

GF1 with Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f0.95 -- ISO 200 -- f0.95 -- 1/640

Damm, I love this lens, worth every penny, JMHO

Jonas

I too am surprised about DOF I am seeing, especially in Jonas' shot, as DOF of 25mm lens @ F1 is only third of a foot at 5 feet.

However, it is impossible for me to comment with certainity as I neither know exact distances nor can see these shots at 100% SOOC.
Thinking about it I may have been 2 meters and then somewhat away from the nearest buoy. It seems about right to me thinking of the situation and what my 5D and a 50/2 should have done in the same situation. I can take some more controlled images of a measure tape if you guys think it is needed (but is it really for the Fun with... thread)?