The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 impressions

retow

Thank you Peter, very helpful write up:thumbs:.
The market seems to agree with your analysis, GH2s are flying off the dealers shelfs here in the US. Are you using it with any of the other mft lenses besides the 14-140mm?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thank you Peter, very helpful write up:thumbs:.
The market seems to agree with your analysis, GH2s are flying off the dealers shelfs here in the US. Are you using it with any of the other mft lenses besides the 14-140mm?
I have tried the 2.8/17 and it works fine. Definitely some faster lenses are a good idea in order to be able to do more efficient available light stuff. The Lumix 2.5/14 is a fix starter for me, just need to order it.

I would love to see also some OIS primes in the future, not sure if that will happen.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>Short answer her: in my eyes the GH2 has reached a level of maturity

I second that and on top it can do amazing video.
Yes, I forgot to mention video, this is really stunning on the GH2. What are you using - AVCHD or MPEG4 ?

I found that AVCHD is only supported by Toast on my machine Quicktime does not support it, as also not RealPlayer and MediaPlayer.

S

sagarmatha

Peter, thanks for a good analysis. I've FINALLY made up my mind: GH2, 14-140, 100-300, to start with :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, thanks for a good analysis. I've FINALLY made up my mind: GH2, 14-140, 100-300, to start with :)
That should be a very good choice. The 100-300 is also on my to buy list. As the 7-14. They are both so small and cheap compared to APSC or FF counterparts and offer nice quality - at least what I could see from reviews on the net.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The Lumix 2.5/14 is a fix starter for me, just need to order it.
Peter,
Be aware that there's a rumour of an m43 version of the 25/1.4 being launched in a couple of months. If the rumour holds water, it will probably be smaller and focus faster than the existing lens does on m43.

emr

Peter, thanks for posting this! I've been tempted by this camera and there's even one in stock at a store nearby for 1400€ incl. the 14-140mm zoom. I'm a Pentax user with a couple of older-than-K-5 bodies (K20D, K-x) and some lenses, some good, some not so good. I've been thinking about whether to upgrade to K-5 or not. My major griefs with my current gear are the high ISO of the K20D and the slow and unreliable AF of both bodies. But I'm beginning to lose faith in the brand as they always seem to mess up somehow. While the K-5 sounds marvelous in many ways, the reports of the sensor stains, low light front focusing and erratic flash behavior don't sound so good. So I'm considering investing in µ4/3 gear instead or on the side. By the specs there does not seem to be a major difference in size between the GH2 and the K-5, but the former weighs about half of the latter. And there's always the obviously great video on the GH2.

Has anybody here been disappointed with the GH2? And also, would you consider the 14-140mm zoom to be good enough for the non-pro photographer whose main subjects vary from random family pics to landscapes?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, thanks for posting this! I've been tempted by this camera and there's even one in stock at a store nearby for 1400€ incl. the 14-140mm zoom. I'm a Pentax user with a couple of older-than-K-5 bodies (K20D, K-x) and some lenses, some good, some not so good. I've been thinking about whether to upgrade to K-5 or not. My major griefs with my current gear are the high ISO of the K20D and the slow and unreliable AF of both bodies. But I'm beginning to lose faith in the brand as they always seem to mess up somehow. While the K-5 sounds marvelous in many ways, the reports of the sensor stains, low light front focusing and erratic flash behavior don't sound so good. So I'm considering investing in µ4/3 gear instead or on the side. By the specs there does not seem to be a major difference in size between the GH2 and the K-5, but the former weighs about half of the latter. And there's always the obviously great video on the GH2.

Has anybody here been disappointed with the GH2? And also, would you consider the 14-140mm zoom to be good enough for the non-pro photographer whose main subjects vary from random family pics to landscapes?
My K5 issues were mainly with AF in low light. No sensor issues, nor anything else. I did not like the kit zoom (which is understandable) but I am not sure if the 18-135 is really any better. I think in order to get better Pentax glass you have to go for the DA limited lenses and the faster and newer zooms. But then the whole gear makes up a lot of more size and weight compared to any M43 gear.

If I would have all the Pentax glass I had liked I would maybe stay with Pentax and wait if they can fix the AF issues in the K5. High ISO of the K5 is really marvelous.

WRT GH2 I am very happy with my 14-140, although in some situations it is a bit slow. But on the other side it is light and small and cheap, while delivering stunning IQ. And the whole GH2 kit is considerably smaller than the K5 with any of their zooms. Plus if you are looking for video, the GH2 is for sure leading!

So if you really want to switch, I think you will not be disappointed and the €1400.- are a good price!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
Be aware that there's a rumour of an m43 version of the 25/1.4 being launched in a couple of months. If the rumour holds water, it will probably be smaller and focus faster than the existing lens does on m43.
Jorgen,

is this a Olympus or Panasonic lens?

Peter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen,

is this a Olympus or Panasonic lens?

Peter
Panasonic.

There are more rumours as well: rugged, professional quality bodies from both, and higher grade zooms from Olympus, all of it apparently the coming spring. Olympus is also said to be working on a hybrid solution for E-5 replacement in the future; EVF but 4/3 lenses (or both kinds).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Panasonic.

There are more rumours as well: rugged, professional quality bodies from both, and higher grade zooms from Olympus, all of it apparently the coming spring. Olympus is also said to be working on a hybrid solution for E-5 replacement in the future; EVF but 4/3 lenses (or both kinds).
Thanks for the info! Well I hope that they keep developing 43 and M43, I think both systems have high potential, exactly M43 seems to have more as most future cameras (even pro cameras) will use EVF or maybe Hybrid.

I believe more in Panasonic though, as they seem to be definitely faster than Olympus and should have more resources. Although from the optical know how Olympus should be leading.

Terry

Panasonic.

And a rumor of a Panasonic 12-50mm f2.5-3.3 coming soon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder how big a lens like that would be considering it's a zoom and fairly fast?
Not too big, probably. Look at the Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5. Around the same focal length, and less than half a stop slower. OIS will probably add a little bit though.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Yes, I forgot to mention video, this is really stunning on the GH2. What are you using - AVCHD or MPEG4 ?

I found that AVCHD is only supported by Toast on my machine Quicktime does not support it, as also not RealPlayer and MediaPlayer.
I use always 1080p24 at best quality (AVCHD). Here is an article I wrote for DPReview:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/The_art_of_HDR_Photography_part_1_01.htm

I short I use ClipWrap to transcode and VLC/Toast for quick previews.