Site Sponsors

Thread: Zuiko 50mm f/1.2?

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zuiko 50mm f/1.2?

I'm considering buying a faster lens for my GH1. Was considering the CV 50mm f/1.1 in M-mount, but found that I can save a pile of money and some weight as well going for a Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 instead.

From the samples I've seen, it looks usable wide open and insanely sharp from f/2.0. Does anybody here have experience with the lens on m4/3 or 4/3?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zuiko 50mm f/1.2?

Not me, sorry. I just own the OM Zuiko 50 mm f1.4 which i bought for 35.- Euro

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm... that way, I could save even more money. Coming to think of it, I do have a Zeiss CY 50mm f/1.4. If I just use that one instead, I don't have to spend a dime

Post Thanks / Like

Bingo and i think it has a beautiful bokeh as well .....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CV 50mm f/1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'm considering buying a faster lens for my GH1. Was considering the CV 50mm f/1.1 in M-mount, but found that I can save a pile of money and some weight as well going for a ...
    Try the CV 50mm f/1.5 instead - the bokeh's lovely and the diaphragm clicks are gorgeous!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering buying a faster lens for my GH1. Was considering the CV 50mm f/1.1 in M-mount, but found that I can save a pile of money and some weight as well going for a Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 instead.

From the samples I've seen, it looks usable wide open and insanely sharp from f/2.0. Does anybody here have experience with the lens on m4/3 or 4/3?
    It is a low contrast lens with flare problems, heavy coma and thanks to the small size considerable vignetting also on 4/3 (experiences from the Olympus E-510 camera a couple of years ago), somewhat better than the older 55/1.2 though. As I also didn't perceive any real speed difference at all comparing to a modern 50/1.4 I can't honestly recommend it. But everything is personal and I know some loving that OM lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    Try the CV 50mm f/1.5 instead - the bokeh's lovely and the diaphragm clicks are gorgeous!
    Hmmm... that way, I could save even more money. Coming to think of it, I do have a Zeiss CY 50mm f/1.4. If I just use that one instead, I don't have to spend a dime
    It must end up that way sometimes.
    I really like my C/Y 50/1.7 and wouldn't mind trying the faster bigger brother.
    That's a great lens with a rendering to my taste. I will sell mine though as I found I seldom use these long (well, to me that is) lenses.

regards,

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

It must end up that way sometimes.
    I really like my C/Y 50/1.7 and wouldn't mind trying the faster bigger brother.

That's a great lens with a rendering to my taste. I will sell mine though as I found I seldom use these long (well, to me that is) lenses.

regards,

/Jonas
    I got mine more or less for free when I bought the Contax RX, but haven't tried it on other cameras yet. Have to try that. It's even relatively compact, not much bigger than the 1.7. I'll give it a go on the GH1 next week.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the OM Zuiko 50/1.4 which lens almost always dissapoints me. To soft and pale. The 1.8 is far better. I also have the Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4 and the Canon FD 50/1.4, both are very good lenses. Think picturewise I prefer them above the CV 50/1.5 and the Zeiss 50/1.7
    Actually I have too many 50mm lenses
    My favourite is the Revuenon 55/1.2 made by Tomioka. Can also be found under the Porst name and go for a little more then 100,--

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Actually I have too many 50mm lenses
    Too many 50mm lenses? I didn't know that was possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    My favourite is the Revuenon 55/1.2 made by Tomioka. Can also be found under the Porst name and go for a little more then 100,--

Michiel
    Somebody must have found out. The two copies currently available at the great, big auction site are both priced around $900

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm ... I too love my CV 50/1.5 but clicks on my copy are very soft, almost nonexistant

Post Thanks / Like

I have a similar experience, not alomost nonexistant but the click stops are on the weak side. That is true for several CV lenses. The 25mm Nokton is a little better, as was my Ultron 28/2.0. The Color-Heliar 75mm lenses are similar to the 50/1.5. I guess there is some sample variation as well.

Sometimes a relatively smooth turn of the aperture ring is good (indoor), sometimes I want the clicks to be more distinct (out in the cold with gloves on).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I have a similar experience, not alomost nonexistant but the click stops are on the weak side. That is true for several CV lenses. The 25mm Nokton is a little better, as was my Ultron 28/2.0. The Color-Heliar 75mm lenses are similar to the 50/1.5. I guess there is some sample variation as well.
    Sounds like sample variation. On my 25 Nokton clicks are just fine while on 50 1.5 I can easily accidentally knock the aperture while focusing.