The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zuiko 50mm f/1.2?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm considering buying a faster lens for my GH1. Was considering the CV 50mm f/1.1 in M-mount, but found that I can save a pile of money and some weight as well going for a Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 instead.

From the samples I've seen, it looks usable wide open and insanely sharp from f/2.0. Does anybody here have experience with the lens on m4/3 or 4/3?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hmmm... that way, I could save even more money. Coming to think of it, I do have a Zeiss CY 50mm f/1.4. If I just use that one instead, I don't have to spend a dime :)

m3photo

Re: CV 50mm f/1.5

I'm considering buying a faster lens for my GH1. Was considering the CV 50mm f/1.1 in M-mount, but found that I can save a pile of money and some weight as well going for a ...
Try the CV 50mm f/1.5 instead - the bokeh's lovely and the diaphragm clicks are gorgeous!

Jonas

I'm considering buying a faster lens for my GH1. Was considering the CV 50mm f/1.1 in M-mount, but found that I can save a pile of money and some weight as well going for a Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 instead.

From the samples I've seen, it looks usable wide open and insanely sharp from f/2.0. Does anybody here have experience with the lens on m4/3 or 4/3?
It is a low contrast lens with flare problems, heavy coma and thanks to the small size considerable vignetting also on 4/3 (experiences from the Olympus E-510 camera a couple of years ago), somewhat better than the older 55/1.2 though. As I also didn't perceive any real speed difference at all comparing to a modern 50/1.4 I can't honestly recommend it. But everything is personal and I know some loving that OM lens.
Try the CV 50mm f/1.5 instead - the bokeh's lovely and the diaphragm clicks are gorgeous!
Hmmm... that way, I could save even more money. Coming to think of it, I do have a Zeiss CY 50mm f/1.4. If I just use that one instead, I don't have to spend a dime :)
It must end up that way sometimes. ;)
I really like my C/Y 50/1.7 and wouldn't mind trying the faster bigger brother.
That's a great lens with a rendering to my taste. I will sell mine though as I found I seldom use these long (well, to me that is) lenses.

regards,

/Jonas

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

It must end up that way sometimes. ;)
I really like my C/Y 50/1.7 and wouldn't mind trying the faster bigger brother.

That's a great lens with a rendering to my taste. I will sell mine though as I found I seldom use these long (well, to me that is) lenses.

regards,

/Jonas
I got mine more or less for free when I bought the Contax RX, but haven't tried it on other cameras yet. Have to try that. It's even relatively compact, not much bigger than the 1.7. I'll give it a go on the GH1 next week.

Michiel Schierbeek

I have the OM Zuiko 50/1.4 which lens almost always dissapoints me. To soft and pale. The 1.8 is far better. I also have the Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4 and the Canon FD 50/1.4, both are very good lenses. Think picturewise I prefer them above the CV 50/1.5 and the Zeiss 50/1.7
Actually I have too many 50mm lenses :rolleyes:
My favourite is the Revuenon 55/1.2 made by Tomioka. Can also be found under the Porst name and go for a little more then € 100,--

Michiel

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Actually I have too many 50mm lenses :rolleyes:
Too many 50mm lenses? I didn't know that was possible... :angel:

My favourite is the Revuenon 55/1.2 made by Tomioka. Can also be found under the Porst name and go for a little more then € 100,--

Michiel
Somebody must have found out. The two copies currently available at the great, big auction site are both priced around $900 :(

Jonas

I have a similar experience, not alomost nonexistant but the click stops are on the weak side. That is true for several CV lenses. The 25mm Nokton is a little better, as was my Ultron 28/2.0. The Color-Heliar 75mm lenses are similar to the 50/1.5. I guess there is some sample variation as well.

Sometimes a relatively smooth turn of the aperture ring is good (indoor), sometimes I want the clicks to be more distinct (out in the cold with gloves on).

ZoranC

I have a similar experience, not alomost nonexistant but the click stops are on the weak side. That is true for several CV lenses. The 25mm Nokton is a little better, as was my Ultron 28/2.0. The Color-Heliar 75mm lenses are similar to the 50/1.5. I guess there is some sample variation as well.
Sounds like sample variation. On my 25 Nokton clicks are just fine while on 50 1.5 I can easily accidentally knock the aperture while focusing.