The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panny 14mm or 20mm

P

pyro_

I have just picked up a GF1 and am looking at getting either the 14mm or the 20mm pancake. Just wondernig what the recomendation around here is if you could only have one of them.

Jonas

pyro_... you need to find out what focal length you actually want to work with, or need. It is not like anyone can say the 20 is better or worse than the 14mm lens. It doesn't matter how good (or bad) one of them is if you usually need the other FL.

If you don't know what a 14 or 20mm lens will be on the camera you need to find that out and I hope you have the kit zoom for that. Take a walk (like three day long if possible) with the kit zoom locked (tape) at 14mm and then another walk with it taped to 20mm.

or...

If you have no clue at all and only know you need a faster lens just by the 20/1.7 as it is closer to a "normal" lens than the 14 is.

regards,

Jonas

Godfrey

I have just picked up a GF1 and am looking at getting either the 14mm or the 20mm pancake. Just wondernig what the recomendation around here is if you could only have one of them.
The 20mm f/1.7 focal length provides a more commonly useful field of view for this camera, it's a fast "wide normal" that covers a lot of bases.

The 14mm f/2.5 is a wide-angle lens useful for tighter situations indoors and for when you want that kind of wide, sweeping viewpoint in your photographs. I find it to be less frequently useful than 20-25mm focal length.

Both lenses perform well, pick the one which suits your photography better.