Site Sponsors

Thread: Which adapters for Olympus OM, Olympus 4/3, and Nikon?

Post Thanks / Like

Which adapters for Olympus OM, Olympus 4/3, and Nikon?

The title says it all. I am beginning to get mightily interested in m4/3 bodies... Paehaps planning to buy a GH2, although I am not interested in video, but thsi one seems to have the best EVF and the best sensor and processing of the lot.

Now, I have several OM lenses (notably 21/3.5, 50/1.8 and 1.4, 85/2, 100/2.8, 135/2.8), the Olympus 4/3 14-54 (1st gen), and several Nikon AI-S and AF lenses (and Voigtlander in Konon mount, notably the 180/4).

Which adapters would be the best quality to use them on the GH2?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which adapters for Olympus OM, Olympus 4/3, and Nikon?

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    and Voigtlander in Konon mount
    Ahem... Don't know where that came from, I meant Nikon mount of course.
    -- Bernard

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The best adapter I have, the most acurate anyway, is the Voigtländer F-mount to m43. It's a bit expensive, but feels very solid and the fit is perfect. I have an el cheapo OM to m43 adapter that I'm not happy with, almost fell apart, and too much room for the lens to move. I consider buying the Olympus MF-2 for that, but it's rather expensive at $200, at least where I live.

Be aware that the 100mm f/2.8, although a great lens because of its compactness, isn't sharp wide open on 4/3 or m4/3. F/4.0 is ok, and from f/5.6 it's very good. Very nice for video though. The 50mm f/1.8 (I have an old silver nose that came with my OM-1 in 1974) keeps surprising me with great image quality, even wide open. The 21mm f/3.5 is great, but a very slow "normal" lens on these cameras. I've bought a 28mm f/2.8, and find that a more useful (and much cheaper) lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The best adapter I have, the most acurate anyway, is the Voigtländer F-mount to m43. It's a bit expensive, but feels very solid and the fit is perfect. I have an el cheapo OM to m43 adapter that I'm not happy with, almost fell apart, and too much room for the lens to move. I consider buying the Olympus MF-2 for that, but it's rather expensive at $200, at least where I live.

Be aware that the 100mm f/2.8, although a great lens because of its compactness, isn't sharp wide open on 4/3 or m4/3. F/4.0 is ok, and from f/5.6 it's very good. Very nice for video though. The 50mm f/1.8 (I have an old silver nose that came with my OM-1 in 1974) keeps surprising me with great image quality, even wide open. The 21mm f/3.5 is great, but a very slow "normal" lens on these cameras. I've bought a 28mm f/2.8, and find that a more useful (and much cheaper) lens.
    Thanks Jorgen. I remember the 100/2.8 on the E-1 was not good at f/2.8, there was a kind of "halo" around things, David Hamilton style...

I will investigate the Voigtlander adapter. Does anybody know the "Kipon" adapters? See here: http://www.lapetiteboutiquephoto.com...=lg_fr&num=151
    -- Bernard