The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panny Leica 14-150 on GH2?

A couple of questions about using the Panasonic Leica D 14-150mm 4/3rds lens on the GH2. I'm trying to find a zoom lens that will give the best image quality on this camera, and I don't want to use prime lenses (I'm currently using the Panny 14-140 zoom on a GH1).

- Would the lens/image stabilization work via the Panasonic 4/3rds - m4/3rds adapter? Since this would just be used for landscape and not action I assume the autofocus speed through the adapter would be OK for my needs so I was just wondering if there would be any stabilization.

- How does the image quality of the Leica 14-150mm lens compare to the Panny 14-140mm lens? I'm assuming the Leica would be better all around since it is so expensive, although do realize often the price is just for the name so thought I would ask those who have used both.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
All function of the Leica D 14-150mm 4/3rd lens should work well with GH1/GH2, including image stabilization via Panasonic or Olympus adaptor. Optically, it's an excellent performer as a travel lens. I have not used the Panasonic 14-140 so I cannot really comment on the comparison.

But the Leica D 14-150mm is a large lens and its balance with GH1/GH2 is not ideal. I use this lens more with my Panasonic L10 more than with GH1.

Cheers,

B

boyzo

I use the 14-150 with the L1 and G1 AF is very fast on the L1 and pretty speedy on the G1 it also works as well on the m43 Oly bodies
Nothing can compare to this lens given the range, the build is excellent zoom very smooth.
Its heavy but is Ok on a G1 but its best on the L1

Thanks for the info guys. i've been using the 14-140 on the GH1 for a while and since the Leica version is just a little fatter and heavier but no longer I think it will work fine with the GH2. I did not realize the Leica was such an old lens though (most reviews are from 2007) - I think it disappeared for a while and has recently been making a comeback. Sounds like the lens creep can be an issue, but it might be enough of a better lens optically that I may get a copy and make a comparison to the 14-140 - trying to squeeze as much quality out of the new sensor as possible without having to carry several lenses. (although I'm also considering the really nice super duper high grade Oly 14-35 f2 - it seems to be quite a bit better than anything else in that zoom range, but then would require another lens to cover the spread, plus an extra grand in cash)

Last edited:
B

boyzo

Thanks for the info guys. i've been using the 14-140 on the GH1 for a while and since the Leica version is just a little fatter and heavier but no longer I think it will work fine with the GH2. I did not realize the Leica was such an old lens though (most reviews are from 2007) - I think it disappeared for a while and has recently been making a comeback. Sounds like the lens creep can be an issue, but it might be enough of a better lens optically that I may get a copy and make a comparison to the 14-140 - trying to squeeze as much quality out of the new sensor as possible without having to carry several lenses. (although I'm also considering the really nice super duper high grade Oly 14-35 f2 - it seems to be quite a bit better than anything else in that zoom range, but then would require another lens to cover the spread, plus an extra grand in cash)
Lens creep occurs because the internal lens elements are very heavy and may have metal mounts Plus the zoom is very smooth and light ie not a lot of friction
Don't keep it pointed down when partially zoomed
Also avoid moisture or excess body oils on the zoom ring rubber to avoid slight swelling.

The Oly 14-35 may have hunting AF check that out first. The 12-60SWD hunts in SAF

Leica 77

Lens creep occurs because the internal lens elements are very heavy and may have metal mounts Plus the zoom is very smooth and light ie not a lot of friction
Don't keep it pointed down when partially zoomed
Also avoid moisture or excess body oils on the zoom ring rubber to avoid slight swelling.

The Oly 14-35 may have hunting AF check that out first. The 12-60SWD hunts in SAF
Hi All,
Regarding the issue of lens creep, my Leica D 14-150 copy has enough friction and I have not experienced any lens creep to date --even when the lens is pointed down. The Nikkor 50 - 135mm zoom lens I used some years ago also had ample friction and never experienced any lens creep. However, some of the used Nikkor 50 - 135mm lenses I handled at camera stores had less friction and there was evidence of lens creep. There may be variations among the lenses in question. :)

E

ebrandon

I use this lens on the GH2 and there was quite a learning curve for me for both the lens and the camera.

I was getting inconsistent results, so did extensive testing and came to the following conclusions:

The good:
1) The lens is optically excellent -- best superzoom I've ever seen (compared, for example to new Nikon 28-300mm with IS/VR)
2) It focuses well on the GH2. Doesn't support AF-C, or continuous AF in video mode, but AF-S is reasonably fast and completely accurate.
3) It's ergonomically good on the GH2. Reasonable size and very surprisingly light. Smooth AF and Zoom rings.

The not-so-good
1) The O.I.S. is weak. This was the source of most of my problems. It gives you maybe a 1 stop advantage you can count on. Shoot at shutter speeds as if the lens didn't have O.I.S. and you'll get nice sharp pictures.
2) My copy does have zoom creep, but not at 14mm where the zoom ring semi-locks. So you just get used to giving the zoom ring a quick twist to 14mm before putting the camera down. No big deal.
3) Tried it with EC-14 and EC-20 teleconverters and the results were optically terrible. No way to extend the reach.

After figuring out the O.I.S. issue, I went back out and shot very carefully and deliberately with this lens, making sure to keep my shutter speeds up, and the results were very impressive indeed.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4256394979/download/836243

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4256394979/download/836249

THANKS for everyone's input! Turns out I could never find a GH2 in stock so I gave up and bought a Sony A55 instead - LOVE this little camera! Amazing how so many cameras are out of stock at the big stores. Now I have my GH1 with 14-140 lens that I need to sell...

wyip

@ebrandon - the dpreview links say your pictures are private. Do you mind reposting them? I've also played with the idea of getting a PanLeica 14-150mm but not sure if it is worth the premium over the 14-140mm.

mark1958

I purchased the 14-150mm and going to sell it. While i like the IQ and even the ergonomics--- It is not better enough than the 14-140 to justify the size and slightly slower AF.

E

ebrandon

ebrandon - the dpreview links say your pictures are private. Do you mind reposting them? I've also played with the idea of getting a PanLeica 14-150mm but not sure if it is worth the premium over the 14-140mm.
That's strange .... I've got the permissions set to "public".

Can you see my gallery here? http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4256394979/photos#page=1

The pictures titled "14_150examples" and the two pics of the statue are all with the 14-150.

Leica 77

The Valentine's Day is just a few days away. All of our family members are pet lovers and we are delighted to see a dog and a cat on some of the Valentine's chocolate boxes sold this year. Happy Valentine's Day to all the digital imaging enthusiasts! GH2 + Leica D 14-150mm :)