Site Sponsors

Thread: Travel charger for GF1, G1

Post Thanks / Like

Travel charger for GF1, G1

Greetings,

The charger that came with my G1 and GF1 is fine, but it has a very long, heavy cord, rather than the built-in plug that is common in other small camera chargers. I have seen several cheap off-brand chargers at Amazon that are much more compact, but I'm not sure about quality.

Has anyone tried one of them? (Like this.) Or is there a more recent Panasonic charger that has the built-in plug? I did search these forums but with no results.

Thanks in advance.

--Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travel charger for GF1, G1

Not too much of a gamble for about $6.

I would like to do without the cord too travel.... 2 reviews on Amazon, but one is somewhat suspect as the reviewer says the charger is not an off-brand, but Panasonic?

Post Thanks / Like

Right, my thoughts exactly. Didn't trust the reviews at all. I was sort of hoping the newer G series charger would be better. But I really can't lose for $6. I'll order one and report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny, but I actually prefer a corded charger. I usually travel with a small/short power strip because lots of accommodations have limited number of outlets. The corded chargers typically eat up just one outlet while the direct wall units often make the adjacent outlets inacccessible. Overseas, it gets worse since I usually carry a limited number of transformers or plug converters (that's where the power strip makes an even bigger difference)

Post Thanks / Like

I found a generic universal charger that will charge any of the square lithium batteries. It will charge my canon 5dii, GF1, and GH2 battery

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I found a generic universal charger that will charge any of the square lithium batteries. It will charge my canon 5dii, GF1, and GH2 battery
    Mark, praytell.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree on regular plugs being preferred. I have a lot to charge and take a very small power strip because there is generally a lack of outlets in most hotel rooms. The big chargers are a PITA with a strip.

You can get all sorts of cables in short versions (I have 6" FireWire and USB cables as well as short power cords like the ones you are talking about).

One place is cyberguys.com looking for the other source and will post it later.

Post Thanks / Like

Streetshooter. I am not sure what you mean. I got my GH2 and had grabbed the wrong charger and went on a trip just before Xmas. There were no GH2 chargers available. I found this generic universal charger online but they do not do overnight shipping. I was driving to an area in Palm Springs and saw a Camera West. I stopped in and they had a very similar universal charger in stock. It was 4x the online one I found but i was desperate. I believe the online version is about 15 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Mark, praytell.....

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
    Funny, but I actually prefer a corded charger. I usually travel with a small/short power strip because lots of accommodations have limited number of outlets. The corded chargers typically eat up just one outlet while the direct wall units often make the adjacent outlets inacccessible. Overseas, it gets worse since I usually carry a limited number of transformers or plug converters (that's where the power strip makes an even bigger difference)
    +1
    And for people travelling internationally, one-piece chargers are a pain, since there are umpteen standards. There are converters, but one needs to bring one converter per charger. With tradition chargers, taking another cable does the trick, and those can mostly be bought locally for a dollar or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on most of the above. However, I have a somewhat more specialized use, as I carry my camera and charger on long distance hikes (backpacking or trekking, depending on where you are from.) So that long heavy cord makes a substantial difference, making that smaller charger look pretty good.

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

I used one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...arger_for.html

Worked just fine. Much more compact for travel.

My new GH2 has a much better charger with fold out plug, IMHO. I think they got the message! For international travel, I have a converter, and have not had many issues with needing to charge more than one item at a time. I guess I am not carrying as much as others here.
    Last edited by CPWarner; 21st January 2011 at 18:47.