The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using the E-PL1

soboyle

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the E-PL1, which I'm considering as a somewhat inexpensive backup camera to my E-P1.
I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority mode, and use exposure compensation frequently, a cinch on the E-P1. How easy is this to do on the E-PL1, with it's lack of control dial?
Should I be looking at the E-P2, or another E-P1?

330toSRT8

I only have the E-PL1 and have never used the P1 or P2. On the PL-1, exposure compensation is immediately accessible as a button near the LCD, then you have to repeatedly push the left or right buttons to adjust as necessary. This is probably not as quick as a dial. Perhaps you're better off waiting for a P3.

brianb032

It's easy, but takes a few button-pushes too many. The process is anything but elegant or fluid. If you're coming from an E-P1, trust me, it's enough to kind of tick you off sometimes.

Winkel

How do you change aperture on the E-PL1?
Changing the aperture is linked with altering the exposure compensation. In A mode you press the top button (of the circular button pad) to allow access to the aperture and exposure compensation. Aperture is altered via the top and bottom buttons; exposure control is altered via the left and right buttons.

A dial or thumb wheel is a more efficient implementation but the E-PL1 method is not much slower.

Goodluck!

deckitout

I actually prefer the EPL1 to my EP2, I was always knocking the EP2 dial, once familiar with the EPL1 I can make changes pretty much just as quick