The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cases, cases, cases... show your m4/3 case!

DHart

Cases, cases... good options for a LARGE m4/3 kit?

I'm sure most of us who have been at this photography thing for awhile have a good bunch of various DSLR camera cases, all suitable at one time or another, but most never seeming to be just right for our latest m4/3 "kit". That's the spot I'm in. None of my various DSLR camera cases are suitable for my m4/3 travel needs. So I'm looking for yet another case. :-/

I need a case to hold a GH2, GF1, and up to seven or eight lenses (presently: 20/1.7, 14-45, 14-140, 7-14, Zeiss 85/1.4, Zeiss 50/1.4, and Voigtlander 35/1.2). Of course, I have some lens hoods, spare batteries, 72mm ND fader, numerous step-up/down rings, and a remote release that would like to tag along as well. I can conceive of one case able to hold the full kit and another, somewhat smaller, case for a sub-set of kit.

As the various m4/3 components are relatively small, the ideal case to hold this many lenses should probably have two layers, right? Or it would probably be unreasonably long/wide, I would think. Such a case should make it quick and easy to access two levels of gear - most used on the top level, less used gear on the bottom level.

I'd sure like to see what some of you have found to be great cases for your m4/3 kits and if you can show a picture of your kit in your case, I'm sure many of us would really benefit from seeing the many possibilities and how it all fits!

So please, if your would, take a few minutes to show us your m4/3 kit with whatever case you have chosen and let us know how it's working out for you... many thanks, in advance.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Until now, I've had this one:

It takes two m43 bodies (one small and one large) plus 5-6 lenses at the bottom and anything I need for an extended weekend upstairs (3-4 shirts in the laptop pocket).

But since I've worn mine out, and carrying a backpack in tropical climate isn't very comfortable (I tend to carry it by one shoulder strap, wearing out that strap and a patch towards my back), I consider this one:

I don't know yet how it will work for travel, but it will certainly be better for city use.

Or maybe I'll buy something completely different :D

Rich M

I am like Jorgen......I had the Kata backpack, but it was too hot and I tended to carry it on one strap instead of the two.

Now I have this:

And am a happy camper. The Hadley is holding up well and cleans up nicely. It fits right now my GH2/14-54, 20/1.7, PL45, 7-14, 100-300, 2-Contax G's and charger/batteries. It's a pretty compact kit.

R

kdphotography

I want my M4/3 GF1 kit to be compact and easy for travel.

I found an older model Lowepro LX120 new. Shoulder strap or belt strap or handle. GF1 with attached 14-45; 20mm in one side lens pouch; EVF and charger in the other side pouch. Filters and cards in the front.

It was working just great---until I saw that Pansonic 100-300 thread....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
P

Paul

I have one of these too, although I think mine is the Hadley Small; it's even the same colour!

It easily carries the GH2 with 7-14, 14-140, 100-300. So far I've resisted the temptation of the 20 and 45. My self-control is bound to crack before long, though... ;)

If you want more room, the Packington is also nice but with the disadvantage that it can become heavy when fully loaded.

Any of the Billingham range is recommended though, and they last and age well too.

Paul

Now I have this:

And am a happy camper. The Hadley is holding up well and cleans up nicely. It fits right now my GH2/14-54, 20/1.7, PL45, 7-14, 100-300, 2-Contax G's and charger/batteries. It's a pretty compact kit.

R

DHart

Now I have this:

R
Rich, the Hadley looks like it would probably carry my two bodies and seven lenses... You have seven in yours with one body. Does the bag come with much in the way on interior compartment units?

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of separate lens bags or lens compartment units that could be used in an existing, non-brand bag? if I can find a good assortment of padded lens sleeve bags (or the like) I could sure use them in my older cases. I don't mean the heavy duty stand alone lens cases, but more like the lightweight compartment divider type of lens holder, if I'm making myself clear...

P

Paul

The Hadleys have a removable compartment with adjustable dividers that have velcro attachments. It comes with a few of these but you can buy additional ones to suit your needs.

Unfortunately the Billingham web site isn't that easy to navigate but the main Hadley inserts are at http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/Accessories.html

and the extra inserts at
http://www.billingham.co.uk/acatalog/SuperFlex_Inserts.html

Paul

Rich, the Hadley looks like it would probably carry my two bodies and seven lenses... You have seven in yours with one body. Does the bag come with much in the way on interior compartment units?

Rich M

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of separate lens bags or lens compartment units that could be used in an existing, non-brand bag? if I can find a good assortment of padded lens sleeve bags (or the like) I could sure use them in my older cases. I don't mean the heavy duty stand alone lens cases, but more like the lightweight compartment divider type of lens holder, if I'm making myself clear...
The Hadley is actually pretty compact.....it won't carry two bodies (unless they're GF1's) and all those lenses.

The Tenba Messenger insert is a good alternative to stick inside non-padded or older bags.

Check it out....

http://www.amazon.com/Tenba-Photo-I...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

R

DHart

Thanks Rich, that Tenba Messenger is just the kind of lens "holder" or "insert", if you will, that I was thinking about.

It looks like a couple of camera case makers offer such a product... that would definitely breathe new life into a couple of my older camera bags that are not versatile enough for m4/3 as they exist now. I need to Google something like "padded lens partition or insert..." will do that now.

Tesselator

Below are the closest thing I use to a case/backpack. I have a bunch of hard cases and shoulder-slings/backpacks but don't use them unless it's a situation where the camera will end up as "luggage" at some point - like for traveling on bus or plane. They're just too inconvenient to use and get in the way too much while carrying/shooting. The slings are the best among them - better than shoulder bags or backpacks but a vest kicks it's butt in every way. I don't like looking like a dork so I additionally wear a large sports wind-breaker over it when out in public. :)

$10 ~ $20 dumps

$20 six to eight lens Vest

usathyan

That looks great. Just the thing for my Kindle and cameras too.

And nice blog Umesh.
Thanks Andew...BTW - the bag is quite big actually...dont let the looks fool you. It can easily fit a few zooms, a book, 2 phones (Droid & iPhone) - plus a few other things.....I was really surprised on how many things this little thing can fit!

J

Jay Clawson

I have had good luck with Domke cases over the years and have found the F6 case to be a perfect match for m4/3 cameras. Here are photos of the case with my all my gear including a GH1 with 14-140mm lens, 100-200mm, 7-14mm, 45mm, 20mm, and Olympus EP-1 with 14mm attached. There is room in the front pouch for filters, spare battery and flash. The case weighs very little and conforms nicely to my body when carrying. I also show the adjustable insert removed from the case to give you a better idea of how it works.

DHart

Here's what I'm using for the moment when I want to take the majority of my m4/3 gear. Starting with a really funky old Tamrac I happened to have sitting around. It's getting new some new life these days with the m4/3 stuff.

Two bodies and EIGHT lenses! Along with three legacy lens adapters as well. WOW. This little ole bag is MAXED OUT, but carrying the load as requested. Sorry for the crappy snapshots... but you get the point.

I'm surprised I could get this much in this little bag. I do need a somewhat bigger option so I can also take a MacBook Pro, cell phone, wallet, travel docs, water bottle, and perhaps a snack or two.