The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone here tempted by the NEX?

DHart

I am not tempted, yet!

All I need now is lots of first adopters to recycle their bodies onto the market and punish prices!

Photography has never before been as exciting as it is now!
Pat... I totally agree. The thought of picking up a top-condition used NEX body at a moderate price to host my Zeiss and Canon FD legacy lenses and use together when circumstances are appropriate is wonderful. This is an exciting time for photography indeed.

Tesselator

Tess... I'm a thinkin' mebbie i might be a needin ta trade up my 5DMkII fer one a tham fancy ones lik yew got thar.... thet's purdy fancie, aw rit! Lots a kewl butons! ;-)
I like the Call Spock and SEX buttons best! Really useful tools and make all my pics turn out perfect! :-D

I'm certainly with ya on the lack of EVF. Sony needs to take care of that issue soon, in my view.
Wait, there's no EVF option at all for the Sonys? Really... :wtf: I thought there were. Hmmm... :loco:

Although I guess there are a lot of shooters who are apparently accustomed to and satisfied with the results of holding the camera out in space. Most beginning amateurs are used to doing that with their point n shoots. And the camera was intended for that market, after all.
I actually think it makes sense for cellphones. I mean, who ever heard of putting a phone up to your eye? :poke:

Interesting correlation to the old days of the TLR with waist-level finder, holding it against your body at the waist. My first decent camera was a Rolleiflex TLR that my Dad had and gave to me when I was seven. Many decades ago.
Well ground-glass composing and focusing was a necessity because of some designs - but I lived in those times and I can tell you, no one liked it! I dunno if those people will still admit that today but there were nothing but complaints and we were mighty happy when we could even see the image. When SLR's came out you should have seen the TLR's pile up in the junk and rubbish bins! It was a mass-migration. The fact that LCDs are backlight I suppose solves some of that but still the idea as a whole sucks pretty bad. In my case it's actually impossible to use them. I'm old and my vision out to about 2m is crap without glasses. But past 2m it's very good and glasses aren't needed. So I would be putting the glasses on to see the screen, and taking them off to see what it was I was shooting. While that might improve my martial art skills it sucks for general photography!

Glass on... Glass off... ... Glass on... Glass off... ;-)

I guess the NEX can be used that way with good result.
Doubtful! But I think those Z-Finder things might be OK.

Or even for the iPhone :ROTFL: :

Not bad results either!!! http://www.youtube.com/embed/TWJvaYeIKOk

:D

Last edited:

Amin

I usually think of the two stops between µ4/3 and FF shared as 0.8 stops between µ4/3 and APS-C (Sony size sensor) and then 1.2 stops from APS-C to FF.
It depends on the aspect ratio of the final output.

If you compare at 4:3 aspect ratio, you lose part of the APS-C frame and the difference between Nikon/Sony and MFT is ~0.5 stops.

Comparing at 3:2 aspect ratio (cropping the 4:3 frame), the difference is ~0.9 stops (except for the multi-aspect ratio GH1 and GH2)

Comparing the Sony sensor at its native aspect ratio (3:2) to a MFT sensor at its native aspect ratio (4:3), the difference is ~0.7 stops.

For Canon APS-C versus MFT, the results are a bit different:
4:3 ~0.4 stops difference
native ~0.5 stops difference
3:2 ~0.7 stops difference (except for the multi-aspect ratio GH1 and GH2)

These are derived from log2 (sensor area X / sensor area Y)

You can use this calculator: http://web2.0calc.com/

Of course those are just predicted differences based on similar sensor technology, which we know is not always the case.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I bought the NEX5 set back last summer. Nice little camera. I did some shots with it. Nice results.

Since a few months I do not use it any longer. This camera has no charisma at all. It is perfect, but that's it.

I prefer shooting my M43 gear, EP2 and GH2. Especially the GH2 rocks - but both of them are perfect for me.

Will sell the NEX pretty soon .....

agoglanian

Personally in it's present form factor I won't touch a NEX camera. I tried them numerous times from friends and in stores before buying my GF1 and I just couldn't get comfortable holding the darn thing. Sure the quality of the images is great, but I didn't like anything else about the camera. No dials, confusing menus, no physical buttons really, no evf, or hotshoe for remote flash!

I'm sure it's a great camera for a lot of people, just not for me. I'm happy with my GF1

DHart

Tesselator... do you create all these wild images yourself? Most creative!

As for the glasses on, glasses off, glasses on... I'm old as well and need glasses for anything up to about 1.75 ft. So when I actually have to read something on the camera, glasses on, look around, glasses off... Bit of a hassle for sure. But I guess I should be thankful that I can see! ;)

douglasf13

Anyone concerned about the lack of EVF on the NEX should consider the Clearviewer. I nearly always keep it attached to my NEX-5, and it swings out of the way nicely for the tilt LCD. The NEX LCD is high res enough that it really works like an EVF, and your head and the camera usually block light enough to avoid sunlight issues. Also, when the Clearviewer is swung out of the way underneath the camera, it gives a nice base to hold onto when shooting waist level, IMO.

p.s. I am not affiliated with Clearviewer. :)

ggibson

I was initially tempted for the better sensor and small size. Lens selection is a big problem right now though. The standard zoom lens is too big and the only pancake is too wide to want all the time.

Finally, once I played with one at Best Buy I was completely turned off by it. Horrible interface, loud annoying shutter sound.

douglasf13

You've really got to spend time with the Nex version 3 firmware and program all of the buttons. This makes a world of difference with the interface.