Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone here tempted by the NEX?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here tempted by the NEX?

The sensor sure appeals to me, but little else about the camera appeals as much to me as the m4/3 system.

If Sony had made the body slightly larger (the lenses have to be big anyway, so why such a miniature body?) then they could have incorporated a nice EVF option, which is sort of a must for me. And if they're going to make the screen articulate a little, why not make it more versatile (for portrait orientation shooting)?

I like it's ability, with adaptors, to mount a host of legacy lenses and the sensor is great for sure, but it just falls flat for me otherwise from a functional standpoint.

How do you other m4/3 fans feel about it? Is the sensor enough of a draw to put up with the minimal functional versatility and enter another system format?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone here tempted by the NEX?

I've both ... GH1 + NEX5 ... one better than the other :-)

Post Thanks / Like

hot... please, tell me your impressions... how much do you like the camera? Do you plan to keep it? Compared to a GF1, for instance?

Post Thanks / Like

No, not for me: shape and form factor too unwieldy. I have an X-100 on order...

Post Thanks / Like

I am tempted by everything, I fight it on a daily basis

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the NEX and really do like it. I hold it very differently than other smaller cameras. With the flip screen I tend keep it lower and closer to my body. I find the screen very good and the controls don't bother me. That being said, I needed more of a system with longer lenses for a trip and I will be using m4/3 for that trip. I like the image quality better from NEX than micro 4/3. We just need to get a better roadmap of where the system is headed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deckitout View Post
    Ha! Me too, dang it.

Terry... good to hear that you like it. I know the IQ is great. I could be seriously tempted if the next body brings a quality EVF option and an articulating screen like the GH2 has. That would be killer. I can work with the smaller body size vs. lens size, but I need a good EVF at least. Got me wondering if my Contax/Yashica Zeiss, Voigtlander, and Canon FD lenses can be adapted to it, if so.... ummmm... I could be too tempted.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I had the G1 and GH1 and have used the Olympus micro 4/3 (but never owned them.) Sold the GH1 in favor of the NEX 5. Do I miss the articulating screen? No, the flip up screen is really all I need. Do I miss an EVF? Yes, it would be nice, but I voted in favor of the 1.5x crop factor and higher ISO. When/if Sony brings out an EVF or a new model with EVF, I'll get it, but probably keep the NEX 5, too.

Also, just got my Fotodiox C/Y adapter (the one with the tripod mount.) Love the Contax lenses on NEX.

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

I have both m43 (GH1, GF1 and E-PL1) as well as two NEX5s (with kit lenses). For the most part I like to use my Voigtlander lenses on the NEX. The NEX sensor is definitely better, especially for the higher ISO performance.

From a practicality standpoint, the NEX is harder to work with (over m43) because of the interface differences/constraints and because of the lack of EVF (I have EVFs for both the GF1 and E-PL1). Note that the NEX version .03 firmware does make a considerable improvement over the original FW and offers a more versatile UI than before, allowing easier access to oft-used settings such as ISO, WB, Creative Styles etc.

Personally, I've found that I tend to get less keepers with the NEX due to camera shake (with the manual lenses), especially at fast apertures (I use both the 50mm f1.1 and the 75mm f1.8), but I'm sure this is just me. As Terry mentioned, the camera is best held as one would hold a TLR, cradled close to the body at waist level. This gives a fairly stable platform and with some practice on using your thumb on the shutter, things can be relatively stable. Certainly if you put the NEX on a tripod for shooting, it is a beautiful little digital back.

While the NEX has its weak points, such as the lack (thus far) of an EVF, the Sunny Weather setting on the LCD really does make the camera usable in even the brightest sunlight, more so than any other digital I've used. I prefer the swivel LCD of the GH1, but then I prefer the NEX LCD over the GF1/E-PL1. The UI is just something you need to wrap your mind around, and is clearly designed to be a bridge for upgrading P&S shooters. It is possible, however, to set the camera up so that most of the adjustments you might want to make are within a few button presses / menu clicks.

As Terry also mentioned, the m43 is generally the best option for longer focal lengths (not only because of the smaller available lenses (E.g. 45-200 and 100-300mm) but also because of the 2X crop rather than 1.5X crop. (I don't have the Sony 18-200mm lens, nor do I plan to get it... it's just too big, and for me, negates the reasoning for going with the smaller body.

While Sony could certainly improve the UI on the existing NEX, I suspect we'll have to wait for future generations of the product to see those appear. It's little things, such as the histogram disappearing when you alter EV, for example that make the seasoned photog shake their head in wonder, but overall, when you see the results possible from these tiny bodies, it is all worthwhile. Could it be better, absolutely, yes, but is it a camera that can be used to advantage right now, yes, certainly. In some respects, it's a bit like the Sigma DPx series where great images are possible, but you have to be able to conform to the camera's specific way of working. Some will, and some won't. YMMV.

Hope this helps,

Post Thanks / Like

I use m43 as a compact landscape kit. The NEX at present just isn't very good at that because of the very limited lens selection. Certainly both NEX and m43 have lots of legacy options, but for my landscape uses where quality but lightweight slow zooms are what is needed legacy is of no use. No native UWA makes NEX a non-starter for me. Now, if I shot different things there would be a lot to consider, but for me it looks like it is at least a couple of years before NEX will be relevant for my needs and by then who knows where m43 or other competition will be?

I guess, like everything else, it depends on what you use the camera for!

Ken

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No temptation at all.

Attended a demonstration at a Sony booth and just did not like the look of the camera nor the feel of the NEX in my hands. It was just not a comfortable fit for me personally.

I also love the GF1 that I own and enjoy the reviews regarding the GH2 and do hope with the next round of improvements they will include those in a body similar to the GF1.

. . . . . and the last reason is I recently purchased a used M8.2 and available funds need to be channelled . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

The NEX cameras are tempting. The image quality is simply better. That is especially true when using adapted lenses (less border smear for example). The total difference, when it comes to sensor size is in theory about 0.8 stops. As Panasonic sensors lags a little the difference is bigger.

Hell yes, I am tempted. As soon as Sony make a NEX version with a viewfinder I'll be there. Why not add SSS as well to this slightly bigger NEX?

But what I really would like to have is, still, a Live FF camera. I wonder if Sony, Nikon or Canon will be first.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, ihad one and sold it. To my opinion, this is a great camera, but if you use it with other lenses than sony, it's a little bit difficult to take quickly a picture.
    If the next Nex have stabilisation like the Olympus pen, it would be great !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Kamoulox - welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

NEX in its current form holds zero interest for me. If I wanted a P&S I'd stick to using my wife's S95. I prefer the full-body form factor in a camera. On top of that, Sony cameras hold no interest for me either as a system.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    The total difference, when it comes to sensor size is in theory about 0.8 stops.
    At the risk of nitpicking I think you mean 0.4 stops if we are talking high ISO and DR. Crop factor difference is 2.0/1.5 so area difference is that ratio squared. SNR goes as the square root of photons collected, so we take the square root of the square and get right back to the original crop factor ratio. Converting that to stops: log(2.0/1.5)/log(2) = 0.4 stops. Pretty sure that is right, but maybe I made a mistake.

But what I really would like to have is, still, a Live FF camera. I wonder if Sony, Nikon or Canon will be first.
    Most definitely!

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deckitout View Post
    "I can resist everything but temptation." ~Oscar Wilde

Irenaeus

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually find the A55 a more interesting camera than the NEX. I need a viewfinder and I prefer to have a grip. No legacy lenses for the A55 of course, but some beautiful Zeiss glass that I can't afford

I'm a bit on the fence right now. Will probably by a GF2, body only, since it's cheap and can use the same adapters as the GH1 that I have.

I'm also curious what Nikon will come up with next, since I have a lot of F-mount lenses. They have to do something.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope. I really like my GF1 and GH2 kit. In fact, these might become my only cameras for digital.

Post Thanks / Like

/Jonas
    Isn't the 5D2 a Live View FF camera? It already exists. Are you thinking something different?
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm really loving my expanded GH2/GF1 system. It's got just enough IQ (especially the GH2) to be great. And with a bunch of great native and legacy lenses, it's a remarkably capable and enjoyable system to use. I can resist the NEX temptation for now.

The thought of a FF, live, mirror less camera with great EVF and articulating LCD is sweet, sweet indeed! Something like a slightly larger GF1 with FF and articulating LCD would be amazing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Isn't the 5D2 a Live View FF camera? It already exists. Are you thinking something different?
    A camera built for live view with very fast CDAF, with no mirror, think Leica M9 sized with lenses to match the short flange distance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I actually find the A55 a more interesting camera than the NEX. I need a viewfinder and I prefer to have a grip. No legacy lenses for the A55 of course, but some beautiful Zeiss glass that I can't afford

I'm a bit on the fence right now. Will probably by a GF2, body only, since it's cheap and can use the same adapters as the GH1 that I have.

I'm also curious what Nikon will come up with next, since I have a lot of F-mount lenses. They have to do something.
    I'm with you on this Jorgen, re the A55. I want to replace my big ol' Canon 30D and comically huge lenses with a smaller, but more up-to-date, kit. Am having a devil of a time deciding whether to go Panny G*2 or Sony SLT. Mostly, I dislike the slow lenses offered for both options. I guess better high-ISO performance can make up for this?

The NEX is not even in the running for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    With a 100% Live camera I'm thinking of a 4/3, or a NEX or a Sony SLT camera, something using the sensor for light metering, DOF control and focusing. The 5D, K5, Nikon SLR, E-5 or whatever only uses Live view as an addon and in a too clumsy and slow manner. No flipping mirrors thank you, a good EVF yes please!

Something like that.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    At the risk of nitpicking I think you mean 0.4 stops if we are talking high ISO and DR. Crop factor difference is 2.0/1.5 so area difference is that ratio squared. SNR goes as the square root of photons collected, so we take the square root of the square and get right back to the original crop factor ratio. Converting that to stops: log(2.0/1.5)/log(2) = 0.4 stops. Pretty sure that is right, but maybe I made a mistake.
    I usually think of the two stops between 4/3 and FF shared as 0.8 stops between 4/3 and APS-C (Sony size sensor) and then 1.2 stops from APS-C to FF. To not overload my brain I I use the same numbers for noise and DOF. DR is so troubled by definitions I don't care to discuss it. (I'm also more interested in the way highlight roll-offs look than an absolute number.)

I did the math once long ago based on my estimations of the exact sizes of APS-C sensors, if one can estimate something "exactly" that is, but don't know where the source thread is right now. Anyway, it shouldn't be hard to check for anyone more into math than I am.

Maybe we are thinking of different things, perhaps I am oversimplificating things.

Oh yes, again, a FF Live camera. As I don't have any need foe lenses longer than 85mm such a camera would be a dream to me.

regards,

Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    I'm with you on this Jorgen, re the A55. (...) time deciding whether to go Panny G*2 or Sony SLT. Mostly, I dislike the slow lenses offered for both options. I guess better high-ISO performance can make up for this?

The NEX is not even in the running for me.
    I'm sitting there as well. I like some of the Minolta/Sony lenses very much and have been contemplating the A55 as a stop gap while waiting for a FF Sony camera. Will such a camera ever materialize? I don't know.

Anyway, I'm a prime user and a fast and good normal lens for the A55 would be, what? Maybe the new Sony DT 35/1.8 SAM but it dosn't make me enthusiastic. And then a good wide equivalent to something around 24-25mm preferably... oh well, I should take this to the Sony forum for further contemplation.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    I use m43 as a compact landscape kit. The NEX at present just isn't very good at that because of the very limited lens selection. Certainly both NEX and m43 have lots of legacy options, but for my landscape uses where quality but lightweight slow zooms are what is needed legacy is of no use.
    So what lenses are you using for your landscape work with m43?
    -- Bernard

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No, not at all. I played with the NEX models a few times. They are very awkward in my hands, I don't like the control paradigm, and I'd need a completely new set of lenses to make them useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was tasked to find a good video camera for a couple of teenage nephews... a NEX 3 for 380 euros was a no brainer.

didn't really try out it out as a stills camera... but interface was better that i thought it would be

K

Post Thanks / Like

hello, just a picture taken with Nex-5 with Summicron M 50

Post Thanks / Like

Had Sony already released the NEX models when I started shopping cash in hand, I would have likely chosen it over the GH1. The images will of course be superior in every instance and form factor is not something I can select being poor and all. Rather it selects me and I learn to deal with it and usually end up loving it - no matter what it is. That said the GH1 is probably the clumsiest camera design I've ever used - very little thought went into it's design IMO. The form factor of the NEX is kind of in the opposite direction I tend to lean in on my own tho. For example I dig the 1DMarkIV...!!! If Nex, I would need the EVF tho... LCDs are completely useless to me. 100% completely useless - well for still photography anyway. Also Sony's after purchase support and warrantee handling is normal to good whereas Panasonic's is sub-normal and even a bit on the fraudulent side...

I've seen several new in box Nex deals that made me want to change up but with 18 different lens adapters already purchased for the M4/3 bodies I feel kinda stuck. I could sell them and rebuy for NEX but 18 auctions sounds like a hassle I don't wanna deal with - lazy me.

The 1DMarkIV:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    hot... please, tell me your impressions... how much do you like the camera? Do you plan to keep it? Compared to a GF1, for instance?
    Hmmmm, I'm crazy ... I have 550D, GH1, G2, NEX5, A55, NX10, NX100, SD14, E520 ... I love them all

Each lense fit to nearly each camera (f.e. I use 25 lenses with NEX5). Adapter prices are only few buckazoids ... $15-$50. Each camera has many advantages (and few disadvantages)

If I am going out to take pictures (most 3D)/videos, I only wear one or two cameras, 1-3 lenses aaaaand my Sony TX7 Seldom a cheap lightweighted 99-carbon-tripod

PS: a little bit I hate cameras without EVF or without tilting display

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    ... and I'd need a completely new set of lenses to make them useful.
    My 25 lenses (8mm-500mm), fitting NEX5 are enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamoulox View Post
    Hello, ihad one and sold it. To my opinion, this is a great camera, but if you use it with other lenses than sony, it's a little bit difficult to take quickly a picture.
    If the next Nex have stabilisation like the Olympus pen, it would be great !
    I like handling with NEX5 and it's easy to take quickly a picture. I verrrry seldom need stabilisation (I seldom take tequila ...)

So life is ... one loves thick women, the other small cameras ...

Post Thanks / Like

Tess... I'm a thinkin' mebbie i might be a needin ta trade up my 5DMkII fer one a tham fancy ones lik yew got thar.... thet's purdy fancie, aw rit! Lots a kewl butons!

I'm certainly with ya on the lack of EVF. Sony needs to take care of that issue soon, in my view. Although I guess there are a lot of shooters who are apparently accustomed to and satisfied with the results of holding the camera out in space. Most beginning amateurs are used to doing that with their point n shoots. And the camera was intended for that market, after all. Interesting correlation to the old days of the TLR with waist-level finder, holding it against your body at the waist. My first decent camera was a Rolleiflex TLR that my Dad had and gave to me when I was seven. Many decades ago. I guess the NEX can be used that way with good result.
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I may be speaking blasphemy here, but I find composing with the LCD to be quite enjoyable and liberating. Instead of putting a camera up to my eye, I can hold the NEX where it needs to be for the shot I want, without having to contort my humanoid neck and head. I think there is also something to be said when shooting portraits, the NEX is so small that the subject is less intimidated.

The kit lens is also an excellent performer!

Post Thanks / Like

NEX is full okay - but did you ever take pictures (with any viewerless camera) in bright sun .... or, terrible/horrible! ... in SNOW & BRIGHT SUN ?

Even AMOLED then is s.h.i.t !

PS: excellent picture!

Post Thanks / Like

The sensor sure appeals to me, but little else about the camera appeals as much to me as the m4/3 system.

If Sony had made the body slightly larger (the lenses have to be big anyway, so why such a miniature body?) then they could have incorporated a nice EVF option, which is sort of a must for me. And if they're going to make the screen articulate a little, why not make it more versatile (for portrait orientation shooting)?

I like it's ability, with adaptors, to mount a host of legacy lenses and the sensor is great for sure, but it just falls flat for me otherwise from a functional standpoint.

How do you other m4/3 fans feel about it? Is the sensor enough of a draw to put up with the minimal functional versatility and enter another system format?
    No EVF, no sale. Even if the body was large enough to handle properly, without being awkward with any lens over a 50mm prime.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not tempted, yet!

I agree with all the other answers except for those that propose quality differences. This debate was settled years ago, first with the dominance of 6cm cameras over all others except for the best photographers, then with 35mm over 6cm.

We are simply not good enough as photographers, to require the highest quality sensors!

Use is what we prize, as we record those things around us that matter to us and to those who matter, to us. We are selfish in that respect, whereas the greatest photographers are simply insufferable human beings, who cart 8x10 equipment at a minimum around mountains for months on end! Some of these saints are on this site and I admire them in a clinical sort of way!

Are the results from digital small form sensors perfect? Irrelevant! The manufacturers are making money hand over fist even in the depression. They are giving us what we want!

We want small, usable cameras and we are getting more and more of them! Hallelujah! 7fps?! Amazing! But next year, it will be even better! The GH2 threatens the video industry! Sony are for once, slow to the market but their offering is wonderful. I will get one once the prices have dropped, to use my lenses on.

Note the emphasis. I will use several different form bodies with MY LENSES! These will be a compromise, but the camera, the chamber of darkness, will enable significantly different results with each lens. The lack of usability of c mount lenses with the NEX is therefore not relevant. I have plenty of manual lenses from the 135 era that perform very well indeed on the m4/3, 4/3, and NEX bodies!

Lenses are what matter, after the user. Bodies come next and the plethora is wonderful! All I need now is lots of first adopters to recycle their bodies onto the market and punish prices!

Photography has never before been as exciting as it is now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Donnelly View Post
    I am not tempted, yet!

All I need now is lots of first adopters to recycle their bodies onto the market and punish prices!

Photography has never before been as exciting as it is now!
    Pat... I totally agree. The thought of picking up a top-condition used NEX body at a moderate price to host my Zeiss and Canon FD legacy lenses and use together when circumstances are appropriate is wonderful. This is an exciting time for photography indeed.
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    My 25 lenses (8mm-500mm), fitting NEX5 are enough
    Do you plan to give them to me so that I can be interested in a NEX?

Post Thanks / Like

Tess... I'm a thinkin' mebbie i might be a needin ta trade up my 5DMkII fer one a tham fancy ones lik yew got thar.... thet's purdy fancie, aw rit! Lots a kewl butons! ;-)
    I like the Call Spock and SEX buttons best! Really useful tools and make all my pics turn out perfect! :-D

I'm certainly with ya on the lack of EVF. Sony needs to take care of that issue soon, in my view.
    Wait, there's no EVF option at all for the Sonys? Really... I thought there were. Hmmm...

Although I guess there are a lot of shooters who are apparently accustomed to and satisfied with the results of holding the camera out in space. Most beginning amateurs are used to doing that with their point n shoots. And the camera was intended for that market, after all.
    I actually think it makes sense for cellphones. I mean, who ever heard of putting a phone up to your eye?

Interesting correlation to the old days of the TLR with waist-level finder, holding it against your body at the waist. My first decent camera was a Rolleiflex TLR that my Dad had and gave to me when I was seven. Many decades ago.
    Well ground-glass composing and focusing was a necessity because of some designs - but I lived in those times and I can tell you, no one liked it! I dunno if those people will still admit that today but there were nothing but complaints and we were mighty happy when we could even see the image. When SLR's came out you should have seen the TLR's pile up in the junk and rubbish bins! It was a mass-migration. The fact that LCDs are backlight I suppose solves some of that but still the idea as a whole sucks pretty bad. In my case it's actually impossible to use them. I'm old and my vision out to about 2m is crap without glasses. But past 2m it's very good and glasses aren't needed. So I would be putting the glasses on to see the screen, and taking them off to see what it was I was shooting. While that might improve my martial art skills it sucks for general photography!

Glass on... Glass off... ... Glass on... Glass off... ;-)

I guess the NEX can be used that way with good result.
    Doubtful! But I think those Z-Finder things might be OK.

Or even for the iPhone :

Not bad results either!!! http://www.youtube.com/embed/TWJvaYeIKOk

Last edited by Tesselator; 9th February 2011 at 05:22.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually think of the two stops between 4/3 and FF shared as 0.8 stops between 4/3 and APS-C (Sony size sensor) and then 1.2 stops from APS-C to FF.
    It depends on the aspect ratio of the final output.

If you compare at 4:3 aspect ratio, you lose part of the APS-C frame and the difference between Nikon/Sony and MFT is ~0.5 stops.

Comparing at 3:2 aspect ratio (cropping the 4:3 frame), the difference is ~0.9 stops (except for the multi-aspect ratio GH1 and GH2)

Comparing the Sony sensor at its native aspect ratio (3:2) to a MFT sensor at its native aspect ratio (4:3), the difference is ~0.7 stops.

For Canon APS-C versus MFT, the results are a bit different:
    4:3 ~0.4 stops difference
    native ~0.5 stops difference
    3:2 ~0.7 stops difference (except for the multi-aspect ratio GH1 and GH2)

These are derived from log2 (sensor area X / sensor area Y)

You can use this calculator: http://web2.0calc.com/

Of course those are just predicted differences based on similar sensor technology, which we know is not always the case.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the NEX5 set back last summer. Nice little camera. I did some shots with it. Nice results.

Since a few months I do not use it any longer. This camera has no charisma at all. It is perfect, but that's it.

I prefer shooting my M43 gear, EP2 and GH2. Especially the GH2 rocks - but both of them are perfect for me.

Will sell the NEX pretty soon .....

Post Thanks / Like

Personally in it's present form factor I won't touch a NEX camera. I tried them numerous times from friends and in stores before buying my GF1 and I just couldn't get comfortable holding the darn thing. Sure the quality of the images is great, but I didn't like anything else about the camera. No dials, confusing menus, no physical buttons really, no evf, or hotshoe for remote flash!

I'm sure it's a great camera for a lot of people, just not for me. I'm happy with my GF1
    Analog // Digital

Post Thanks / Like

Tesselator... do you create all these wild images yourself? Most creative!

As for the glasses on, glasses off, glasses on... I'm old as well and need glasses for anything up to about 1.75 ft. So when I actually have to read something on the camera, glasses on, look around, glasses off... Bit of a hassle for sure. But I guess I should be thankful that I can see!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone concerned about the lack of EVF on the NEX should consider the Clearviewer. I nearly always keep it attached to my NEX-5, and it swings out of the way nicely for the tilt LCD. The NEX LCD is high res enough that it really works like an EVF, and your head and the camera usually block light enough to avoid sunlight issues. Also, when the Clearviewer is swung out of the way underneath the camera, it gives a nice base to hold onto when shooting waist level, IMO.

p.s. I am not affiliated with Clearviewer.

Post Thanks / Like

I was initially tempted for the better sensor and small size. Lens selection is a big problem right now though. The standard zoom lens is too big and the only pancake is too wide to want all the time.

Finally, once I played with one at Best Buy I was completely turned off by it. Horrible interface, loud annoying shutter sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You've really got to spend time with the Nex version 3 firmware and program all of the buttons. This makes a world of difference with the interface.