Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: One of those bag threads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One of those bag threads

Here are some images of the Tenba Mini Messenger Laptop/Camera bag.

I can take a good amount of gear in this bag and it would be fine for a day trip, but for distant travel with photography in mind, there are more lenses I may want to have along, in addition to travel snacks, Passport, travel papers, wallet, cell phone, book, map, water bottle, yada, yada that would way more than max this bag out - for my needs. I plan to also get the next size up, the "Small" Tenba Messenger Bag and for travel, split the gear between the Mini and the Small - my wife with the Mini and I with the Small.

Shown with iPad in the case, but this will also hold a MacBook Pro 13" as well.

Accessory Bag sitting on end in the center:

Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was very informative, Don. My question is: Will it have room for a 15" MBP? I'm probably going for that model to get the mat screen and the better graphics card, even if I would have preferred the size and weight (and price) of the 13".

My camera pusher has so far refused even to show me the Tenba, claiming that it isn't strong enough for my abusive use of camera gear. Is there any truth to that?

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen... I have both 13" and 15" MBP and the 13" fits the Mini, but the 15" WILL NOT. I would suggest the Tenba Small Messanger as I believe it WILL fit the 15" MBP no problem.

I haven't put the Tenba to any endurance tests, but from what I can tell, I'd have no qualms using it under any circumstances... the materials and build quality seem very high grade to me. I'd say go with the Tenba Small Messenger and use the heck out of it! I'm going to order one soon to use along with the Mini when I need more capacity.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Don. It's either that or the Fstop Bard. If I can find any of them...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That was very informative, Don. My question is: Will it have room for a 15" MBP? I'm probably going for that model to get the mat screen and the better graphics card, even if I would have preferred the size and weight (and price) of the 13".

My camera pusher has so far refused even to show me the Tenba, claiming that it isn't strong enough for my abusive use of camera gear. Is there any truth to that?
    As was said, the Mini has room for the MBP13, not the MBP15. The Small has room for the 15".

I don't know how you beat up your camera gear and bag ... The Mini Messenger seems plenty tough for my needs. Time will tell. The biggest point of potential failure that I see is that the quick-access zipper opening in the top flap means the zipper is what's holding the top flap together aside from two thin runs of stitched fabric on either side of it ... I can't see that as really being much of a problem given the way it is supposed to be used, but if you're the kind of person who beats up your gear and bags it might reduce the bag's life.

(BTW, I'm perfectly happy with the MPB13 as both a mobile computing solution and a desktop computing solution with the ACD27LED for what I do. It's certainly not the fastest computer in the world, but it isn't slowing me down or getting in the way.)

The Mini has plenty of room for what I normally carry, even for travel in most cases, with a DSLR kit and the iPad 2 (mine is coming soon ...!). I'll photograph mine with my kit as Don did a little later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    (BTW, I'm perfectly happy with the MPB13 as both a mobile computing solution and a desktop computing solution with the ACD27LED for what I do. It's certainly not the fastest computer in the world, but it isn't slowing me down or getting in the way.)
    It's a dilemma. What I'm worried about is video editing, plus I would like to have the matt screen, but it might be overkill, and I wouldn't mind saving the $800 price difference. I'll give it some thought.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a dilemma. What I'm worried about is video editing, plus I would like to have the matt screen, but it might be overkill, and I wouldn't mind saving the $800 price difference. I'll give it some thought.
    I haven't done enough video editing as yet to say one way or the other, but iMovie and Final Cut Express both seem to run just fine on both my Mini (2.66Ghz) and MBP13 (2.4Ghz), both with 8G RAM and fast 500G boot drives, talking to external drives over FW800. I don't know whether the graphics adapter makes all that much difference to video editing performance at this level of processor/system config. Both have the same Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics adapter. They seem satisfactory for my needs at present.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed shots of the Tenba, it actually looks like it would work very well for me.

I received a promo email from Think Tank Photo with their new bag, which is designed for m4/3 or rangefinder systems:

The Retrospective 5

I have many TTP bags and rollers, and the quality is first rate. I already own a Retrospective 30 (the big one), and it's a terrific bag. I'll also be taking a close look at this new bag once it's available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't done enough video editing as yet to say one way or the other, but iMovie and Final Cut Express both seem to run just fine on both my Mini (2.66Ghz) and MBP13 (2.4Ghz), both with 8G RAM and fast 500G boot drives, talking to external drives over FW800. I don't know whether the graphics adapter makes all that much difference to video editing performance at this level of processor/system config. Both have the same Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics adapter. They seem satisfactory for my needs at present.
    Thanks for the feedback Godfrey. Apple has added AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5 to the fastest 15" model, claiming that it's 3 times as fast as previous models. How significant that is for HD video, I don't know. I'll be running the new FCP X, but I'll ask the question in the Video Processing forum as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen... my 15" MBP is the 2.66 GHz i7 model with 8GB of RAM. It's a potent computer for sure. Not quite the screamer that my iMac 27" i7 is, but quite impressive nonetheless. And with the versions that arrived with the very recent update of the MBPs, I think you'll be very happy!

And not sure you are aware, but Apple is soon to release a COMPLETELY revamped Final Cut Pro X... my understanding is that the program is truly redone in every way... I'm excited to see it. Here's more on it:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/w.../archives/1452

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/13/...o-apps-coming/
    Last edited by DHart; 15th April 2011 at 11:24.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

just saw this one. i think this is perfect for us mft owners.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...pinestone.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older messenger bag and I never liked it. When there was a lot of weight in the bag--- the bag bulged badly and the top zipper easily came undone. May be the newer ones are better in this regards.. but it looks similar enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I have an older messenger bag and I never liked it. When there was a lot of weight in the bag--- the bag bulged badly and the top zipper easily came undone. May be the newer ones are better in this regards.. but it looks similar enough.
    No such issues with my Tenba.

What brand/model bag did you have?
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I've been carrying the Tenba Mini Messenger with

- Olympus E-5 fitted with Summilux-25
    - 11-22/2.8-3.5
    - 50/2 Macro
    - Nikkor 85/1.8
    - FL36 + remote cable + pair of RF transceivers
    - MBP13 in the computer pocket
    - remote release
    - two spare batts and a card wallet
    - notepad, journal, pens, cell phone, iPod Touch and a few other miscellaneous bits

It all fits with room to spare, doesn't bulge, and the top flap zipper hasn't unzipped yet. The flap isn't stressed that I can see. I doubt I'll ever try to jam more into it, I can see myself taking stuff out however.

The bag gets a little heavy once the laptop is in there; i often leave it out. (16 days to the iPad 2... :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennettk View Post
    Thanks for the detailed shots of the Tenba, it actually looks like it would work very well for me.

I received a promo email from Think Tank Photo with their new bag, which is designed for m4/3 or rangefinder systems:

The Retrospective 5

I have many TTP bags and rollers, and the quality is first rate. I already own a Retrospective 30 (the big one), and it's a terrific bag. I'll also be taking a close look at this new bag once it's available.
    I was very interested in the Retrospective 10 model (I had the Urban Disguise 50, sold it recently for the UD 35v2, and really like both of them). I was put off by it: it seemed very heavy for its capacity, the strap isn't removable, there's no space that really suited the iPad well although it can be jammed into the front or back pocket. The material they've chosen for it is assuredly very durable but overly heavy, I think.

So look carefully at this new 5 model before spending money on it. I had actually gone to the store to buy the 10 and walked out with the UD35 instead as a better choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so here is my dilemma I'm visiting China. Planning taking the GF1 with 20mm + 14-42 Oly zoom.

I don't want to carry a dedicated camera bag and I plan using a normal backpack. However I still need to protect the camera + lenses when stored in my packpack. I came across this camera "capsule" that you can store you camera in and throw the capsule into a normal bag

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/camera-capsules/

Anyone used it? Anything else out there similar to this?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ywen View Post
    Okay so here is my dilemma I'm visiting China. Planning taking the GF1 with 20mm + 14-42 Oly zoom....
    I've not used that specific product, but I've seen and uses several other similar small camera protectors like this. They all work ok, none are particularly convenient for shooting from ... but it sounds like you're not going there on a photography mission so they'll all do just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not used that specific product, but I've seen and uses several other similar small camera protectors like this. They all work ok, none are particularly convenient for shooting from ... but it sounds like you're not going there on a photography mission so they'll all do just fine.
    Do you know the others makers of similar products?

Yes you're right.. I plan on carrying water etc.. in my packback so I would not want to bring a camera packpack.. Just something to transport my GF1 to a destination and then have the GF1 around my neck

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes you're right.. I plan on carrying water etc.. in my packback so I would not want to bring a camera packpack.. Just something to transport my GF1 to a destination and then have the GF1 around my neck
    Why not buy the Tenba Mini-Messenger and slide out the insert for your trip?

R

Post Thanks / Like

the insert is not full sealed the top is open..

so any other manufacturers of these fully sealed camera capsules?

I actually own a domke FX5B so I might just take that bag with me on the trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note. The Tenba mini messenger doesn't have an insert like the small and large. i thought it did when I ordered mine, not paying enough attention I guess. In the long run, I'm glad it doesn't. I think the dividers with flaps are more functional for my use.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay so here is my dilemma I'm visiting China. Planning taking the GF1 with 20mm + 14-42 Oly zoom.

I don't want to carry a dedicated camera bag and I plan using a normal backpack. However I still need to protect the camera + lenses when stored in my packpack. I came across this camera "capsule" that you can store you camera in and throw the capsule into a normal bag

http://www.clikelite.com/shop/camera-capsules/

This approaches a solution that I would love to have for travel: A 3-4 day travel bag with a camera insert and space for all my other stuff as well (clothes, laptop etc.), and an ultra-light bag that folds into the large one, and that will take the camera insert only, enabling me to leave the larger bag at the hotel while I'm out taking photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Just a note. The Tenba mini messenger doesn't have an insert like the small and large. i thought it did when I ordered mine, not paying enough attention I guess. In the long run, I'm glad it doesn't. I think the dividers with flaps are more functional for my use.

Diane
    Thanks Diane......on different websites, they are called different things.

I must have the small Messenger (even though when I bought it a few years back, it was called "mini".)

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I put waterbottles on the outsides of a backpack or on an accessory belt, not inside it where gear and other things that might be damaged by water spillage live. Seems to me there is also some kind of water carrier that you wear around your neck and on top of/underneath the backpack ... but I'm out of my element here, I rarely go hiking in the wilderness were I need more than a quart bottle of water along. :-)

The bags like this that I have used in the past were lined and zipped accessory pouches/inserts from folks like Lowepro and Crumpler. A couple of no-name ones too. Sorry, I only used them for a short while and found them too inconvenient to take note of ... I probably gave a dozen of them away last year when I discarded the Bag Mass that was filling up my office.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This approaches a solution that I would love to have for travel: A 3-4 day travel bag with a camera insert and space for all my other stuff as well (clothes, laptop etc.), and an ultra-light bag that folds into the large one, and that will take the camera insert only, enabling me to leave the larger bag at the hotel while I'm out taking photos.
    I've done this with various shooting and carrying bag combinations over the years, Jorgen. For instance, on my last trip to the UK in 2008, I carried my gear there in the Urban Disguise 50. My Domke F5XB was in the rollaway stuffed with clothing and such. When I arrived at destination, I pulled the equipment I wanted for a day shoot out of the UD50 and reconfigured the Domke to go shooting with. It only takes a minute to reconfigure the bag, I don't need the completely removable insert.

That was one of the checks I did with the Tenba Mini Messenger on Friday: it is just the right size to fit in my rollaway with the dividers folded flat and stuffed with clothing and such. Gear will transport in the UD35 so it is always with me, the rollaway goes in checked luggage. At destination, the TMM comes out and gets configured for gear, and I'm off shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Godfrey,
    That works fine with checked luggage, but I mostly travel with carry-on luggage only. I had a look at the TT Shape Shifter, and found that to be an interesting bag. If they made a three layer version, one layer for compact DSLR or m4/3 gear, one for a laptop and one collapsible layer for clothes etc., I would only need one bag. I've written an email to TT suggesting that they look into something like that. Who knows, they might be interested. I can't be the only one travelling light.

Previously, I used the TT Airport Addicted for this, since it will room the kitchen sink and more (including a smaller bag) and still be allowed as carry-on luggage by most airlines. The problem nowadays is that, due to its size, many airlines insist on weighing it, and it tends to become rather heavy when filled up. Emptying the camera gear into a photo vest before check-in solves that, but now I've seen them weighing carry-on luggage at the gate if it looks heavy, so I would have to keep the gear in the vest into the airplane as well

Post Thanks / Like

Mountainsmith makes something like this. I have one, and use it in my daypack to carry gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Kit_Cube.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey,
    That works fine with checked luggage, but I mostly travel with carry-on luggage only. I had a look at the TT Shape Shifter, and found that to be an interesting bag. If they made a three layer version, one layer for compact DSLR or m4/3 gear, one for a laptop and one collapsible layer for clothes etc., I would only need one bag. I've written an email to TT suggesting that they look into something like that. Who knows, they might be interested. I can't be the only one travelling light.

Previously, I used the TT Airport Addicted for this, since it will room the kitchen sink and more (including a smaller bag) and still be allowed as carry-on luggage by most airlines. The problem nowadays is that, due to its size, many airlines insist on weighing it, and it tends to become rather heavy when filled up. Emptying the camera gear into a photo vest before check-in solves that, but now I've seen them weighing carry-on luggage at the gate if it looks heavy, so I would have to keep the gear in the vest into the airplane as well
    My scheme works for carry-on too, as my rollaway is regulation size for carryon with any airline I've flown, and most will allow two bags (one luggage, one personal ... the TTUD35 is small enough to classify as personal). It also stacks nicely on the rollaway's handle. I just find that checking the rollaway for transatlantic flights saves a lot of grief.

I try to keep the total equipment mass plus bag to under 14 lbs. That passes nearly all requirements. I can fit a lot of gear into 14 lbs...

You inspired me to check:

The Tenba filled with MBP13", power, E-5 + 11-22, 25/1.4, 50/2, 85/1.8, etc, weighs 14.3 lbs.
    The UD35 filled with the same weighs 15.2 lbs.
    The Feisol tripod complete in its case is 4.2 lbs.

That's pretty much all I'd ever carry on travel unless I have some specific need for additional gear. I don't usually carry more than one camera ... I have a backup here at home that can be air-freighted to me anywhere I'm likely to go in less than 48 hours.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW, here's a few snappies of the Tenba Mini Messenger with my E-5 kit and MacBook Pro 13" ...

Click image to see the full-sized photo composite.

Aside from the flash (which was on the E-1 taking these photos...) and the pack of spare flash batteries, that's what I'd normally carry on travel. There's plenty of "stuff space" left in the bag for additional incidentals and a small accessory organizer pouch too.

Post Thanks / Like

Mountainsmith makes something like this. I have one, and use it in my daypack to carry gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Kit_Cube.html
    Hmm interesting.. but it looks huge for a GF1 + 2 lenses

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...t-would-he-do/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

okay, this has slowly become the tenba mini messenger thread! what a fantastic looking bag for a couple of M4/3 bodies and an assortment of 4-5 lenses - plus the ipad. wow.

i have a question for those of you who have this bag - dhart, godfrey, diane - do you find yourself using this as a "working" bag or more as a travel bag. in other words, is it the right size to hit the streets or, say a museum, and still be able to work comfortably out of it? or does gear seem to get lost inside of it?

and how do you find the zippered top flap? is it useful to access your camera through it or do you just open the main flap?

Andrew.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen - I had the TT shape shifter. It could be a great m4/3 with modifications:
    More pouches much smaller in size for the small m4/3 lenses and camera bodies

Currently with m4/3 you can use the bag in its slim position so your idea of another layer for clothing is fabulous. If they made such a bag I would rebuy it in a nano second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jorgen - I had the TT shape shifter. It could be a great m4/3 with modifications:
    More pouches much smaller in size for the small m4/3 lenses and camera bodies

Currently with m4/3 you can use the bag in its slim position so your idea of another layer for clothing is fabulous. If they made such a bag I would rebuy it in a nano second.
    Got a very positive feedback from TT, but obviously, these things don't happen overnight, if at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the very useful photos, Godfrey. It's very obvious that the 15" MBP won't go inside.

Another supplier of inserts, although somewhat larger, is F-stop:
    http://fstopgear.com/en/mountain/icu

They come in three different sizes. Their bags look excellent also, but not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15444

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theflyer View Post
    ...i have a question for those of you who have this bag - dhart, godfrey, diane - do you find yourself using this as a "working" bag or more as a travel bag. in other words, is it the right size to hit the streets or, say a museum, and still be able to work comfortably out of it? or does gear seem to get lost inside of it?

and how do you find the zippered top flap? is it useful to access your camera through it or do you just open the main flap?
    I've only been working with the TMM for a week or so now, but it's proving a very useful bag. I bought it specifically to be a shooting bag for my SLR plus three lenses plus iPad kit. It's not overly bulky or heavy by itself ... I can walk about with it for a long time without it feeling heavy when I remove the laptop; the iPad for daily bunging about will solve that weight issue.

(The Urban Disguise 35 V2 is my "carry it on travel" bag as it both holds a bit more and has the shoulder/backpack harness setup. The tall, narrow shape makes it better for shuttling through planes, trains and busses. It's not as convenient to shoot out of for use as a shooting bag due to the more vertical organization, although workable in a pinch.)

The zippered top opening surprised me as being a very easy way to get my camera in and out of the bag given that I'm working with the bulk of an SLR and lenses. It's much quicker and handier than opening the flap for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Currently with m4/3 you can use the bag in its slim position so your idea of another layer for clothing is fabulous.
    This is not really relevant to m4/3 gear, but I have an old Lowe Pro Stealth AW backpack from maybe ten years ago. It is very similar to the new TT Shape Shifter, and in fact I think I heard that the same designer created both bags.

The Lowe Pro has pouches for two pro bodies and the three main f/2.8 zooms, along with a laptop, all in the main compartment. The front compartment will hold clothing as well as camera/computer accessories. The bag was designed for working photojournalists as a single carry-all bag.

The one downside for me is the shape of the laptop sleeve -- it's more Thinkpad squarish than Macbook Pro shape, and will barely hold a 15 inch MBP. But a 13 inch would fit easily, of course.

The bag is discontinued, but I've seen them on eBay occasionally.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not really relevant to m4/3 gear, but I have an old Lowe Pro Stealth AW backpack from maybe ten years ago. It is very similar to the new TT Shape Shifter, and in fact I think I heard that the same designer created both bags. ...
    I had one of those backpacks when I was trucking the Canon gear around. It worked well as a "carry the gear to the destination" solution but was fairly hopeless as a shooting bag for my use. I didn't find it had enough room, outside of the camera gear, for anything but a change of underwear and a spare tee-shirt.

I sold it when I bought the Urban Disguise 50, which could carry more and was somewhat more compact in shape. And easier to carry when not being fitted with the backpack harness too.

Post Thanks / Like

OKay.. the Lowepro Rezo 110AW seems to be a perfectly sized bag for gf1 + 20mm + 14-42 zoom.. I saw it in person at Best Buy..

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Rezo-1.../dp/B000AQF4JG

And this guy has a write-up on the bag and his mod for it..

http://www.lawrencephotographic.com/...zing/parts.htm

Then this tiny bag can be thrown into my normal backpack for transporting the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Domke F-10

Domke F-10 containing GH2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/2.8, 7-14/4.0 and 50 Summicron-R

With its front zip pocket, which can hold batteries, extra cards, hoods, etc., it's a bit more versatile than the F-5xb.

I'll likely still get the TT Retrospective 5 when it becomes available next month. Can't have too many bags, right?

20110423 004a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 001a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 010a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 014a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Ron the Domke is a fine bag for carrying it around the shoulder.. I have a F-5XB that will fit two lenses and a body and not much else.. Fine for my kit. However, I realized the top of the bag doesn't offer any padding. If I was to throw the Domke into a larger backpack, the contents will be rocked around against the zipper.

The LowePro Rezo fits everything much more snuggly and the bag itself is even smaller than the F-5XB...

Post Thanks / Like

okay picked up the lowe pro rezo 110 aw.. fits my kit just fine.. I'll then put this into a normal backpack..

So now my Dome F-5XB is for sale in the classifieds section.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the Tenba mini at home but for several small reasons, I just was not that excited about it, even if it seems to be a really high quality bag. This weekend I got the Vanguard up-rise 33 and that is much more appealing to me. I will try taking a few pictures next weekend, here is the official site http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.p...1-1-4-433.html .

Very similar to the Tenba in some ways, not only in size but also with the top zipper that lets you take out the camera without opening the main flap. It is a little 'higher' which is fine because I wanted to stack several lenses. I like that the insert can be taken out completely. The bag has good protection, and if I use another slimmer insert, like the Domke, I could get even more inside. Like the tenba, it has plenty of small pockets for the little things. It easily fits the Ipad, I haven't tried my 13" work notebook, yet, specifications are a bit unclear there. It also has a zipper that allows you to expand the bag a 1-2 inches if you have more to carry, but I don't expect to use that very often, there is a limit to what I want to carry with me. I like the shoulder strap better on the Vanguard, and I like that you can slide it over the handle of your carry on luggage - something I really wanted in a travel bag. It's just a number of little points that balance the scale in favor of the Vanguard for me. The problem is, the Vanguard is pretty new and I paid the regular price of $129. The small benefits are worth the extra cost to me, but just barely so. Once that comes down in price a bit, it is a very serious competitor to the Tenba line.

So, overall, I think with the Domke F5xb and F5xc plus the Vanguard up-rise 33 I will be set for a while as far as camera bags are concerned.

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would resurrect this thread with photos of the new Think Tank Retrospective 5 -- a bag designed for Micro 4/3 cameras. I've attached several photos. Two of them show the bag compared to a TTP Retrospective 30, which is my daily bag at work. Note the significant size difference, especially in depth front-to-back. (The Retro 30 has a 70-200/4 with the hood attached standing upright, if that provides a good size indicator.) The other photos show details of the interior layout and pockets.

My initial take: This bag does exactly what TTP says it will -- it carries a single Micro 4/3 camera and several lenses, batteries, cards, and other very small accessories. (The photos show my GF1, 20mm, 14mm, and a Canon 50/1.4 hidden below the 14.) If I am very careful, a G1 with the 14-45 and the hood reversed will fit in the remaining compartment.

Like: compact size, but large enough to handle my GF1 with the EVF attached. The big bellowed front pocket is excellent. Great construction.

Dislike: Except for the front pocket, all the pockets are flat, so that anything placed inside the main compartment reduces the pocket space. The two end pockets are particularly small and, for me, not very useful. Even the smallest water bottle won't fit. They will hold a spare battery, or a 46mm filter in its case, or a Pinwide in its case. The large flat pockets are about big enough for a reporter's notebook. An iPad will fit vertically in the rear pocket, but half of it sticks out (and it won't fit if it's inside the Apple iPad sleeve.)

I spent a fair amount of time deciding whether to send it back for a refund, but in the end decided to keep the bag. I was hoping it would be a good all-around travel bag, but it's just not quite large enough. Instead, I'll use it as an around-town camera bag -- a way to carry my GF1 and a couple of lenses when I'm not working. It's fairly discreet and doesn't look much like a camera bag.

I do wish it were about 2 inches wider in the long dimension ("longer," I guess, but TTP calls it "width" on their web site.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ron i also use this bag for my 4/3 gear especially when traveling. It fits nicely into my carry on suitcase. i also fit a metz 50 flash in the front zipper pocket. In the top zipper pocket i put my extra batteries and SD cards. I fit a small flash diffuser in the back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    Domke F-10 containing GH2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/2.8, 7-14/4.0 and 50 Summicron-R

With its front zip pocket, which can hold batteries, extra cards, hoods, etc., it's a bit more versatile than the F-5xb.

I'll likely still get the TT Retrospective 5 when it becomes available next month. Can't have too many bags, right?

20110423 004a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 001a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 010a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 014a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr