The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One of those bag threads

theflyer

okay, this has slowly become the tenba mini messenger thread! what a fantastic looking bag for a couple of M4/3 bodies and an assortment of 4-5 lenses - plus the ipad. wow.

i have a question for those of you who have this bag - dhart, godfrey, diane - do you find yourself using this as a "working" bag or more as a travel bag. in other words, is it the right size to hit the streets or, say a museum, and still be able to work comfortably out of it? or does gear seem to get lost inside of it?

and how do you find the zippered top flap? is it useful to access your camera through it or do you just open the main flap?

Andrew.

Terry

Jorgen - I had the TT shape shifter. It could be a great m4/3 with modifications:
More pouches much smaller in size for the small m4/3 lenses and camera bodies

Currently with m4/3 you can use the bag in its slim position so your idea of another layer for clothing is fabulous. If they made such a bag I would rebuy it in a nano second.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen - I had the TT shape shifter. It could be a great m4/3 with modifications:
More pouches much smaller in size for the small m4/3 lenses and camera bodies

Currently with m4/3 you can use the bag in its slim position so your idea of another layer for clothing is fabulous. If they made such a bag I would rebuy it in a nano second.
Got a very positive feedback from TT, but obviously, these things don't happen overnight, if at all.

Godfrey

...i have a question for those of you who have this bag - dhart, godfrey, diane - do you find yourself using this as a "working" bag or more as a travel bag. in other words, is it the right size to hit the streets or, say a museum, and still be able to work comfortably out of it? or does gear seem to get lost inside of it?

and how do you find the zippered top flap? is it useful to access your camera through it or do you just open the main flap?
I've only been working with the TMM for a week or so now, but it's proving a very useful bag. I bought it specifically to be a shooting bag for my SLR plus three lenses plus iPad kit. It's not overly bulky or heavy by itself ... I can walk about with it for a long time without it feeling heavy when I remove the laptop; the iPad for daily bunging about will solve that weight issue.

(The Urban Disguise 35 V2 is my "carry it on travel" bag as it both holds a bit more and has the shoulder/backpack harness setup. The tall, narrow shape makes it better for shuttling through planes, trains and busses. It's not as convenient to shoot out of for use as a shooting bag due to the more vertical organization, although workable in a pinch.)

The zippered top opening surprised me as being a very easy way to get my camera in and out of the bag given that I'm working with the bulk of an SLR and lenses. It's much quicker and handier than opening the flap for that.

bennettk

Currently with m4/3 you can use the bag in its slim position so your idea of another layer for clothing is fabulous.
This is not really relevant to m4/3 gear, but I have an old Lowe Pro Stealth AW backpack from maybe ten years ago. It is very similar to the new TT Shape Shifter, and in fact I think I heard that the same designer created both bags.

The Lowe Pro has pouches for two pro bodies and the three main f/2.8 zooms, along with a laptop, all in the main compartment. The front compartment will hold clothing as well as camera/computer accessories. The bag was designed for working photojournalists as a single carry-all bag.

The one downside for me is the shape of the laptop sleeve -- it's more Thinkpad squarish than Macbook Pro shape, and will barely hold a 15 inch MBP. But a 13 inch would fit easily, of course.

The bag is discontinued, but I've seen them on eBay occasionally.

Godfrey

This is not really relevant to m4/3 gear, but I have an old Lowe Pro Stealth AW backpack from maybe ten years ago. It is very similar to the new TT Shape Shifter, and in fact I think I heard that the same designer created both bags. ...
I had one of those backpacks when I was trucking the Canon gear around. It worked well as a "carry the gear to the destination" solution but was fairly hopeless as a shooting bag for my use. I didn't find it had enough room, outside of the camera gear, for anything but a change of underwear and a spare tee-shirt.

I sold it when I bought the Urban Disguise 50, which could carry more and was somewhat more compact in shape. And easier to carry when not being fitted with the backpack harness too.

RonSmith

Domke F-10

Domke F-10 containing GH2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/2.8, 7-14/4.0 and 50 Summicron-R

With its front zip pocket, which can hold batteries, extra cards, hoods, etc., it's a bit more versatile than the F-5xb.

I'll likely still get the TT Retrospective 5 when it becomes available next month. Can't have too many bags, right?

20110423 004a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 001a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 010a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 014a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

ywen

Ron the Domke is a fine bag for carrying it around the shoulder.. I have a F-5XB that will fit two lenses and a body and not much else.. Fine for my kit. However, I realized the top of the bag doesn't offer any padding. If I was to throw the Domke into a larger backpack, the contents will be rocked around against the zipper.

The LowePro Rezo fits everything much more snuggly and the bag itself is even smaller than the F-5XB...

ywen

okay picked up the lowe pro rezo 110 aw.. fits my kit just fine.. I'll then put this into a normal backpack..

So now my Dome F-5XB is for sale in the classifieds section.

apicius9

I had the Tenba mini at home but for several small reasons, I just was not that excited about it, even if it seems to be a really high quality bag. This weekend I got the Vanguard up-rise 33 and that is much more appealing to me. I will try taking a few pictures next weekend, here is the official site http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-4-433.html .

Very similar to the Tenba in some ways, not only in size but also with the top zipper that lets you take out the camera without opening the main flap. It is a little 'higher' which is fine because I wanted to stack several lenses. I like that the insert can be taken out completely. The bag has good protection, and if I use another slimmer insert, like the Domke, I could get even more inside. Like the tenba, it has plenty of small pockets for the little things. It easily fits the Ipad, I haven't tried my 13" work notebook, yet, specifications are a bit unclear there. It also has a zipper that allows you to expand the bag a 1-2 inches if you have more to carry, but I don't expect to use that very often, there is a limit to what I want to carry with me. I like the shoulder strap better on the Vanguard, and I like that you can slide it over the handle of your carry on luggage - something I really wanted in a travel bag. It's just a number of little points that balance the scale in favor of the Vanguard for me. The problem is, the Vanguard is pretty new and I paid the regular price of $129. The small benefits are worth the extra cost to me, but just barely so. Once that comes down in price a bit, it is a very serious competitor to the Tenba line.

So, overall, I think with the Domke F5xb and F5xc plus the Vanguard up-rise 33 I will be set for a while as far as camera bags are concerned.

Stefan

bennettk

Thought I would resurrect this thread with photos of the new Think Tank Retrospective 5 -- a bag designed for Micro 4/3 cameras. I've attached several photos. Two of them show the bag compared to a TTP Retrospective 30, which is my daily bag at work. Note the significant size difference, especially in depth front-to-back. (The Retro 30 has a 70-200/4 with the hood attached standing upright, if that provides a good size indicator.) The other photos show details of the interior layout and pockets.

My initial take: This bag does exactly what TTP says it will -- it carries a single Micro 4/3 camera and several lenses, batteries, cards, and other very small accessories. (The photos show my GF1, 20mm, 14mm, and a Canon 50/1.4 hidden below the 14.) If I am very careful, a G1 with the 14-45 and the hood reversed will fit in the remaining compartment.

Like: compact size, but large enough to handle my GF1 with the EVF attached. The big bellowed front pocket is excellent. Great construction.

Dislike: Except for the front pocket, all the pockets are flat, so that anything placed inside the main compartment reduces the pocket space. The two end pockets are particularly small and, for me, not very useful. Even the smallest water bottle won't fit. They will hold a spare battery, or a 46mm filter in its case, or a Pinwide in its case. The large flat pockets are about big enough for a reporter's notebook. An iPad will fit vertically in the rear pocket, but half of it sticks out (and it won't fit if it's inside the Apple iPad sleeve.)

I spent a fair amount of time deciding whether to send it back for a refund, but in the end decided to keep the bag. I was hoping it would be a good all-around travel bag, but it's just not quite large enough. Instead, I'll use it as an around-town camera bag -- a way to carry my GF1 and a couple of lenses when I'm not working. It's fairly discreet and doesn't look much like a camera bag.

I do wish it were about 2 inches wider in the long dimension ("longer," I guess, but TTP calls it "width" on their web site.)

mark1958

Ron i also use this bag for my 4/3 gear especially when traveling. It fits nicely into my carry on suitcase. i also fit a metz 50 flash in the front zipper pocket. In the top zipper pocket i put my extra batteries and SD cards. I fit a small flash diffuser in the back pocket.

Domke F-10 containing GH2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/2.8, 7-14/4.0 and 50 Summicron-R

With its front zip pocket, which can hold batteries, extra cards, hoods, etc., it's a bit more versatile than the F-5xb.

I'll likely still get the TT Retrospective 5 when it becomes available next month. Can't have too many bags, right?

20110423 004a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 001a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 010a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr

20110423 014a by Ronald S. Smith, on Flickr