Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One of those bag threads

Post Thanks / Like

One of those bag threads

I have a closet full of bags from really big for commercial shooting to the diminutive Terraclime. My favorite bags are my 3 Domkes so you know where I'm coming from and most of my bags are geared to big DSLRs with multi lens kit.

I want a messenger style, slimmer profile, that will accomodate a G1ish body with maybe 3 lenses and my Ipad (and the other usual "stuff"). Right now I'm using a very very old LL Bean messenger with the 4 lens Domke insert but its way too deep and just generally doesn't work well. The Domke F6 is good but doesn't really accomodate the Ipad and I'd really like a bit slimmer profile. The only one suggested that seems to work is the Tenba Mini Messenger but since I live in the netherlands of Lowepro and Tamrac as far as bags go I have to depend on reviews and others suggestions. Would this be over structured?? I do like its removable camera insert option.

I'm not a street shooter but this will mostly accompany me to urban areas when traveling or full days of shooting. I change lenses out depending on the shoot but the biggest would be the 45-200 or the ZD9-18, mostly mid sized lens. I also like to carry it cross body. This shouldn't be so hard to find LOL.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One of those bag threads

Hi Diane,

Someone pointed me to this one recently that sounded like it might be appropriate for what you're looking for:

It might be a little larger than what you had in mind as it can fit a 15" laptop.

I like the looks and design, but went for the Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 35 v2.0 as a better fit to my needs. It's a vertically oriented bag, deep rather than long, and works well with my daily load of paperwork & laptop, camera, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Domke F-803

Check out Stev Huff's review of the Domke F-803. I use a Artisan and Artist insert. Similar to A&A Oskars One Day bag only a little taller, so ipad fits in back pocket. Works perfectly with GF1, GH2, 20/1.7, 7-14, 14-45, and 100-300.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...e-domke-f-803/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Domke F-803

Quote Originally Posted by wjlapier View Post
    Check out Stev Huff's review of the Domke F-803. I use a Artisan and Artist insert. Similar to A&A Oskars One Day bag only a little taller, so ipad fits in back pocket. Works perfectly with GF1, GH2, 20/1.7, 7-14, 14-45, and 100-300.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/0...e-domke-f-803/
    That's a great bag ... I used one for 17+ years. It's a little tight for my current SLR gear, should be fine for the Panasonic Lumix G line. Nice that the iPad fits in the back pocket too.

Post Thanks / Like

The Domke F-803 (I never owned any of the new waxed versions, I think my two old ones were called "Junior satchel" when I bought them) is a great bag simply put. It doesn't come with that many padded inserts, one of them I think it is so one has to add something to it there. That can either be some Domke original pads or something from your closet...

I also never managed to stuff such a lot of things people usually do but that's because I like to be able to switch lens quickly. I guess an ipad fits in the back pocket but that is also the side of the bag bumping into you for every second step you take. I'm not sure that is optimal. I usually have a notebook, my passport and some other small things in that pocket.

Anyway; it's great, good looking and durable, doesn't advertise Expensive camera inside, can take quite heavy rain and is a good no nonsense bag. It can take bigger cameras as well. I used it a whole summer for my 5D with a couple of lenses but then I found the opening to be a little narrow. There should be plenty of reviews available - Mr Huff is late on this one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Diane
    There is absolutely no question that what you need for this is a Fogg B-Sharp. it's a perfect size, has a front pocket which exactly fits an ipad, and will give you just the right amount of room inside.

some snaps

the ipad in the second shot is a clue to the size

These are beautifully hand made by Nigel Fogg and bee berman in France. Lovely people and beautiful bags.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fogg bags are gorgeous, but here in the USA they are even more ridiculously over-priced than the Billinghams. I don't complain about prices all that often, but seriously ... A Fogg B-Sharp in the USA is over $500! That's a lot of sheckles ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

How would one of these (or other Fogg bags you have used) fit a Pentax K5 kit?

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The Fogg bags are gorgeous, but here in the USA they are even more ridiculously over-priced than the Billinghams. I don't complain about prices all that often, but seriously ... A Fogg B-Sharp in the USA is over $500! That's a lot of sheckles ...
    HI Godfrey
    they are expensive - but they are also hand made by the couple who own the company - not by their employees, but by them - I don't know of any other company which does this.

The standard of finish is wonderful - if you assume that the dealer is making at least a 100% markup, that's not a lot of money for the work involved.
    Of course - you may not think you want to spend the money, but I've been using mine every day since I got it - and it gives me pleasure every day.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Jono,

How would one of these (or other Fogg bags you have used) fit a Pentax K5 kit?

Jim
    Hi Jim
    they do well - basically they are just about deep enough to hold a K5 on it's side without any pressure on the pentaprism.
    You can get a K5 with the 18-135 fitted, together with another lens into a b-laika, and with two or three other lenses into a b-sharp.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the good replies. Having been a working high end craftsperson for years I do appreciate the workmanship and that they do it themselves but its not in my budget for the Fogg unfortunately. It may also be a bit too structured for me but never having seen one, don't know that. Who even sells them here in US?? I understand the pleasure one gets from using a well crafted, esp. personally, item. l drink my tea from a big collection of mugs, all esp. selected and created by people I know. Makes tea time always special. in addition, not sure if my lowly m4\3s deserve a bag that costs more than them LOL.

I looked at the Domke F803, not the waxed version, and I do have 3 Domke bags already
    so its a possibility. My Domke bags are showing their use/age but not in disrepair (all canvas). I checked specs, weight esp. and was surprised to see they are all about in same ballpark with the Tenba which i expected to be heavier.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, all of which I'm checking out (and even the Fogg which is lovely for sure).

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    they are expensive - but they are also hand made by the couple who own the company - not by their employees, but by them - I don't know of any other company which does this.

The standard of finish is wonderful - if you assume that the dealer is making at least a 100% markup, that's not a lot of money for the work involved.
    Of course - you may not think you want to spend the money, but I've been using mine every day since I got it - and it gives me pleasure every day.
    Oh, I understand that. It's simply that for those prices, I'd rather buy a train ticket and ride the Coast Starlight Express from San Diego to Vancouver and back.

Of course, I'd love a Fogg bag too. My local dealer has them (Palo Alto, CA) and they are truly lovely pieces of work. I'm quite willing to part with serious money for wonderful products, but $500 is way above my pay grade ... for a bag. ;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, I understand that. It's simply that for those prices, I'd rather buy a train ticket and ride the Coast Starlight Express from San Diego to Vancouver and back.
    Hi Godfrey
    I wasn't for a second suggesting that this was anything other than a 'luxury' purchase - but in addition to being rather fab they also do the job well.

Still, I do quite understand your point.
    Of course, I'd love a Fogg bag too. My local dealer has them (Palo Alto, CA) and they are truly lovely pieces of work. I'm quite willing to part with serious money for wonderful products, but $500 is way above my pay grade ... for a bag. ;-)
    As I say - I wasn't advocating their cost/effectiveness ratio - just their desirability ( I also think that they are good 'value for money' - but I think that the Leica M9 is that too!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,

I have a Tenba Small Messenger which from the specs is just a little larger than the one you are looking at. It's very deceptive as it seems very well built and has good padding but seems to weight almost nothing. Mine also has space for a small laptop and the camera section is an insert you can pull out. The owner of the local camera store and his wife both bought themselves one and he convinced me I needed one as well. I own two Domke bags that I really like and this is very different but it certainly seems to be well made. I can't tell about longevity and I only recently purchased it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Diane,

I have a Tenba Small Messenger which from the specs is just a little larger than the one you are looking at. It's very deceptive as it seems very well built and has good padding but seems to weight almost nothing. Mine also has space for a small laptop and the camera section is an insert you can pull out. The owner of the local camera store and his wife both bought themselves one and he convinced me I needed one as well. I own two Domke bags that I really like and this is very different but it certainly seems to be well made. I can't tell about longevity and I only recently purchased it.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. I actually am leaning toward a Tenba. One of the things that swayed me is checking weight against so many other messenger bags, even including Timbuk2 and similar (and even against my much faved Domke F6). I was surprised that they were almost always lighter or about the same. Tenba certainly has the other things I like--lots of pockets, insert that can be removed, right size, etc. Now I'm going to look at the small you have and the mini and compare. Guess I'll get predictable black but I certainly am tempted by the purple LOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane,

Let me know if a specific photo would help. I bought mine in brown, the store
    owner in black and his wife in purple. All the colors look pretty good.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at bags lately myself (never seem to have the "right" bag even having a number of them already!). The Tenba Messenger is also one that I've zeroed in on as a final contender. Lots of good reviews on them and excellent features.

Kat bags are worth looking into as well:

http://www.kata-bags.com/kata.asp?Version=Photo

Their DB and CS families might offer something you would like.
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Tenba Small Messenger ...
    One of the folks at my photo group had one of these. It seemed a nicely designed bag, looks like it will hold a lot of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to try the purple Tenba mini but bought from Amazon so easy return if it doesnt work for me. I'll post here when I get it and try it.

Surprised myself getting something other than black (well over many years have had only a couple non black bags, a dark green bag for my ood Oly E10, a red backpack gone now to Goodwill, and my tan Domke F6 which I've long wished was black LOL though the black Domke canvas bags get "dull" with use but not as easily dirty as it gets set on ground a lot).

Diane

Darlar

Diane -
    It sounds like you've found a good bag already, but if you end up not happy with it I recommend looking at the bags made by Rickshaw Bags in San Francisco. I've got their special edition "DODObag" sold by DODOcase (wonderful moleskine style iPad case), which is Rickshaw's Zero Small messenger. It is just big enough for my EP2, a few odds and ends, an extra lens or two, and my iPad. The Zero Medium would probably carry everything you'd like it to.

Rickshaw has a wide variety of colors, but the black DODObag has a very cool look about it. I've got a 15" Domke wrap in the mail, and I'm planning on using that to protect the camera and/or extra lens that I'll carry around. Otherwise, its a minimalist bag that won't dwarf anyone or look like its carrying a small fortune in gear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I own a few different Rickshaw bags and really like them. I benefit from living in San Francisco and can go to their "factory" store. The people who work there are fantastic and the company was started by the former Timbuk2 CEO. All the bags are made locally. I really like the Zero Messenger in the medium size. I use it with a camera insert and still have room for some other things. You could also use it with camera wraps as the above poster plans to do. One nice thing is the ability to customize the interior of the bags. The zero messenger has velcro strips on the inside and the pockets/pouches are sold separately allowing you to decide what you want on the inside.

Living close by, I have been able to go back to the work area and look through some of their funkier fabrics that don't show up on the website so I have a couple of interesting fabric and color choices. I believe they will have a camera specific bag or insert in the near future.

For a small kit (GF and Pen series with smaller lenses) and iPad you can probably pretty easily get away with the zero messenger in the small size and for sure the new mini communter is sized for an iPad and can hold some camera gear.

The Dodo bag mentioned above is very nice as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darlar. Rickshaw was revommended also and I've looked at their site quite a lot. Its on my "try at some point" bag. I did wonder if the simple black would be too similar to my LP Terraclime which won't q-u-i-t-e handle the Ipad. It handles the G1 and a couple of lenses, esp in lens bags, just fine. I rather liked some of the custom combos Rickshaw can do. Still on my "interested' list so thanks for your assessment of yours.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Darlar View Post
    Diane -
    It sounds like you've found a good bag already, but if you end up not happy with it I recommend looking at the bags made by Rickshaw Bags in San Francisco. I've got their special edition "DODObag" sold by DODOcase (wonderful moleskine style iPad case), which is Rickshaw's Zero Small messenger. It is just big enough for my EP2, a few odds and ends, an extra lens or two, and my iPad. The Zero Medium would probably carry everything you'd like it to.

Rickshaw has a wide variety of colors, but the black DODObag has a very cool look about it. I've got a 15" Domke wrap in the mail, and I'm planning on using that to protect the camera and/or extra lens that I'll carry around. Otherwise, its a minimalist bag that won't dwarf anyone or look like its carrying a small fortune in gear.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Decided to try the purple Tenba mini but bought from Amazon so easy return if it doesnt work for me. I'll post here when I get it and try it.

Surprised myself getting something other than black (well over many years have had only a couple non black bags, a dark green bag for my ood Oly E10, a red backpack gone now to Goodwill, and my tan Domke F6 which I've long wished was black LOL though the black Domke canvas bags get "dull" with use but not as easily dirty as it gets set on ground a lot).
    Heya Diane,

Just curious how the Tenba Mini Messenger has worked out for you. I was at the camera shop yesterday and decided to give one of these a try ... the Domke F5XB works for the E-1 and one lens, the Billingham L2 works for the E-3 and one lens, and the Think Tank Photo UD35 v2 works great for the whole kit and laptop, but I have nothing that really works well in the middle between those two ends.

The Tenba Mini Messenger looked very good at the store ... If it will fit the iPad plus E-5 and two or three lenses, it is exactly what I'm after.

(The Billingham F/Stop 1.4 is the other choice I was considering. Certainly a bag with nicer materials, etc—it's more than double the price ... )

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, I would think so. i'm easily carrying the G1 with most any lens mounted except 45-200 the way I put it in, plus 4 lenses if I choose plus Ipad and other accessories, most anything else like book, notepad, etc, etc. will work. With the m4/3 there is room for one more layer on top--like a sweatshirt or sweater or use your imagination. Its a great travel bag for me. I have other options if I just want a body and 2 lenses but this is light enough and flexible enough to handle all I need--or SHOULD need LOL. I bought it in purple too which is one of my few non-black bags. When I cut back a bit on gear but still too much for Domkes or Terraclime I change the shoulder strap for one of my Domke less bulky straps.

Hope you like yours.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey... I recently got a Tenba Mini Messenger and as with most everyone, I'm really impressed with it. Excellent design, materials, and execution. I can carry a GH2, GF1, EVF, 7-14, 14-45, 14-140, 20/1.7, Canon FDn 50/1.4, LX5 w/ accessory hood & WA lens, iPad, and iPhone4.

To protect them from banging around, I keep some of the lenses in their Panasonic bags; this way one can sit atop another and no worries about scratches or damage to either. Not so quick and convenient come lens-change time, but it is what it does and that's ok.

To hold all the lens hoods, remote release, spare batteries, memory cards, Kirk ball head shoe, and filters, I use a padded, zippered bag which is about 2"x4"x5" that just sits on top of everything. This is plenty of gear for an outing, but for travel/trips/vacations, etc. I would definitely need the Small instead of the mini so that there would be room for another lens, chargers, water bottle, and a few other miscellaneous items.

I'm thinking that on trips, while flying, if my wife carried the Mini and I carried a Small, between the two bags that should easily carry the m4/3 camera gear, an iPad, a MacBookPro, some snacks, and a few extras. Then for day excursions while at destination, we could use either the Mini or the Small for just what was needed for the day.
    Last edited by DHart; 3rd April 2011 at 21:36.
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks to both of you. Should be here at the end of the week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works as I hope. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

DId you consider the DOmke F10?

Post Thanks / Like

Last week i took one Tenba messenger camerabag large in burnt orange color and i am very satisfied with it. E-5 incl. HLD incl. 12-60 fits resting on its side, + 3 additional lenses, flash, iPad and lots of batteries, cf cards and other stuff fits.

Klaus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This topic motivated me to check my own "good old" bag.
    I'm not a frequent customer of camerabag manufacturers to say the least.
    In fact, I have only bought one in my whole life. That must have been somewhere around 1975
    It's a Sirius (made in Korea) and I don't think it has been expensive, because I did not spent a lot of money on photography at that time.
    It's first trip was a 2-month photosafari in Kenya, and the bag has travelled all the continents except Australia ever since.

As I bought it for my Nikon equipment, it might be considered a little oversized for the G1, but then, I can take 5-6 lenses without any problem
    Unfortunately, I cannot find the separations anymore

No maintenance is needed for this bag, except a good wash in the machine once a year, or after a really "dirty trip".

This is how the bag looks today :

Can you believe that I'm really happy with that purchase ??

Have a nice day,
    Rafael
    E-M1/GH2/G1 Full Spectrum & lots of lenses
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/f6cvalk...th/9226689839/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    DId you consider the DOmke F10?
    It's too small and narrow, holds less than the F5XB. The E-5 with a lens on it barely fits at all. I was looking at the Domke F2 but it's a bit bulkier than I wanted and isn't the right form factor ... I have a Domke F6 which work well for camera and a couple of lenses, but isn't shaped propely for the iPad.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Last week i took one Tenba messenger camerabag large in burnt orange color and i am very satisfied with it. E-5 incl. HLD incl. 12-60 fits resting on its side, + 3 additional lenses, flash, iPad and lots of batteries, cf cards and other stuff fits.

Klaus
    Is that a Small Messenger or a Mini Messenger, Klaus?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey
    The bag is called "Tenba Messenger camera bag large"
    Color is "burnt orange". It is a very functional bag, lots of storage capacity.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messen...amera-Bag.aspx

Product code is 638-344

It fits E-5 with attached HLD and 12-60SWD, 3 Lenses ( Summilux 25 mm, Zuiko 7-14, Zuiko 11-22. 1x iPAD. In the side compartments: Batteries, flash Metz58 AF-1, in the coverflap: several CF cards and small parts. If you like i can provide some pictures

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey
    The bag is called "Tenba Messenger camera bag large"
    Color is "burnt orange". It is a very functional bag, lots of storage capacity.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messen...amera-Bag.aspx

Product code is 638-344

It fits E-5 with attached HLD and 12-60SWD, 3 Lenses ( Summilux 25 mm, Zuiko 7-14, Zuiko 11-22. 1x iPAD. In the side compartments: Batteries, flash Metz58 AF-1, in the coverflap: several CF cards and small parts. If you like i can provide some pictures
    How screwed up is the Tenba website and naming schema?

The page link you posted above points to a completely different series bag from what I've been looking at. You can see from this page

http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Messenger-Bags.aspx

that the Messenger: Medium bag you're talking about isn't even listed in the Messenger series I've been looking at, which includes Mini, Small, Medium and Large sizings.

This page

http://www.tenba.com/Collections/Messenger.aspx

shows that what you're looking at is considered a "Camera Bag" by collection, where the ones I've been looking at are considered "Photo/Laptop Bag" by comparison. Totally different designs.

Amazing. About half the bag manufacturer sites are like this. Why can't these people get a clue and provide decent product descriptions and sensible naming schema?

Yes, I'd like to see some detail photos of your bag stuffed with gear.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, their page is confusing

Her are some pictures of the "Tenba messenger camera bag large"
    Color "burnt orange"

Proof

loaded

inclusive iPad

side

the flap

The shown small storage card etui is NOT part of the bag

the other side

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. This is the one I bought and I bought through Amazon for better price
    http://www.tenba.com/products/Messen...aptop-Bag.aspx
    And I forget if I posted this littoe review of it on another forum
    http://www.mu-43.com/f67/tenba-mini-messenger-bag-9189/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That looks like a good solid design.

It's a bit bigger than I was looking for (I don't use the battery grip so my E-5 body is smaller than that) and I notice that it doesn't have a dedicated pocket for computer or iPad, you're fitting it between the camera section and the outer shell of the bag. That works, but it's not what what I am after.

When I need that much gear I use the UD35 or a Domke F3X that has similar space and pocket arrangements to this bag (a little deeper and squarer, otherwise pretty similar).

Hadn't seen your review, Diane. That's helpful, let's me gauge how what I want to fit might work. I think it will work fine, although I might need the Small instead of the Mini.

Well, I'll see how the Mini I ordered fits what I want to put in. Should be here at the end of the week. If it doesn't work, I'll return it and keep looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I need to clarify my post above about the Tenba I was describing... It is the Tenba Mini Messenger Photo/Laptop bag that is shaped like a true messenger bag, not shaped like a camera bag. I liked this shape because it is narrower and more vertical, which keeps it closer to the body under the arm, which I preferred for traveling. The more conventional photo shaped bag would be more convenient to work out of, while the Messenger style shape seems better for traveling around and doesn't look so much like a camera bag. Both are great designs, depending on which attributes are more important to the user.

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messen...aptop-Bag.aspx
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Don. I chose the mini messenger because I have that Domke that Godfrey mentioned more like the Tenba camera bag with the pouches in the side which I use mostly with my 5D setup. Knowing that I am sure Kweide's Tenba camera bag is likely nice to shoot from. I, too, wanted the messenger style and I really like the option of being able to zip from the top and get camera body or lens. I don't use the bag day to day where I only want one extra lens in addition to the one mounted and I can get the Ipad in "tightly" in the Terraclime so use that more casually. When I head out for a day of shooting, 4 lenses and "stuff" and Ipad OR travel with m4/3 this should handle it. Admittedly I havent traveled with it yet but have packed it for trial run.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I think the bag Klaus has would be great to work from when doing extensive work with a lot of lens changing and such. And I think the Messenger style would be better for traveling with and working from when there isn't a lot of lens changing with many lenses going on. It's why we need sooooo many different bags!
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The Terraclime 100 which was so useful with the G1 kit is just about useless with the E-1 and E-5 SLRs. Their size and shape just overwhelm it completely. I imagine it will come in handy if I ever get an X1, X100 or E-PL2.

Different kits, different bags. The old F3X is my "go to an assignment with a bunch of stuff and work all day" bag. A true workhorse, it's handled a lot of gear and stays very easy to work with. I've had it for 15 years or so at this point and it still looks like new despite all the banging around.

Come to think of it, my Domke F5XB is about 18 years old now... still going strong.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

follow up ...

The Tenba Mini Messenger arrived on Friday but I've been too busy the past few days to even look at it. Today i'm going out for a lunch and a solitary photo walk afterwards so I thought it a good moment to test it.

- It's an easy size to walk with when it's on my shoulder. It's also very light.

- The shape allows four lenses plus camera with one lens fitted (and hood deployed for immediate use!) with the dividers in just about the default layout. I've right now got the E-5 fitted with Summilux 25, the 11-22, the 50 Macro and the Nikkor 85/1.8 and spare battery in it ... there's room for another lens and other bits easily.

- The mouth is big enough to get the camera in and out easily and quickly. It's got enough space that if I ever want the battery grip, it will fit without any problem. Even the quick-access zipper for nipping the camera out quickly works better than I thought it would.

- It fits the MacBook Pro 13" snugly in the internal pocket with everything else in place. The iPad 2 will be no problem at all. The front and rear pockets all work well for small thing stowage.

- Side straps let me slip on a couple of external accessory bags should that ever be important.

- Fit and finish is good ... Not Billingham luxury quality and feel, but seems durable and well put together.

Seems very impressive for the modest price of $85. A nice, trim, tight package for a pro-grade SLR kit with three to five lenses ... just what I was looking for. Looks to be a good day-bag for when I don't need the extra capacity of the Think Tank 35.

(Three bags were sacrificed to make shelf space for this one. All bags must fit in the allotted space from now on... Every acquisition must have its associated disposal. An end to Bag Addiction! ]'-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: follow up ...

Thanks Godfrey. How does the Tenba bag compare with your Domke F6 (my all-time favorite bag so far)? Size, proportions, weight, function?
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey can add his tuppence to this but the F6 is also a favorite of mine (the little bit smaller). That would have worked pretty well for me but not deep enough to get an Ipad in and, of course, no dedicated section for it. There's room for me to add a layer on top of camera/lenses for a light jacket, etc. with the MFT.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    Thanks Godfrey. How does the Tenba bag compare with your Domke F6 (my all-time favorite bag so far)? Size, proportions, weight, function?
    Just got back from a couple hours walking about with the Tenba and the kit I described above ... Positive feelings.

My F6 has been a great bag for two-lens Hasselblad and Pentax MF SLR kits in the past, also a two-Leica-M kit with five lenses, and now does service as my portable light setup bag, with the lens compartment section removed. It's never been the right bag for a multi-lens, pro-grade-sized SLR kit, IMO ... simply not tall enough for an F3 with MD-4 and lens fitted as well as two-three additional lenses. The F3X is better at that. I never particularly liked the top-flap with two swinging metal buckles closure ... very easy to whack something with those buckles when you flip the top open quickly. I do line the wide, large front zippered pocket but otherwise I have never found the F6 to take the place of an F2.

The Tenba measures about 4-5 inches bigger in length-wise floor footprint and is about 2 and a half inches deeper. With the standard divider layout in place, the lenses sit on the level below the E-5 and the E-5 with a lens fitted sits in the center nose-down. The top-flap's direct access zipper is (remarkably) quite useful. It's easy to get to gear and accessory pockets, the big zippered back pocket is particularly nice for pens, papers, notebook, etc. I'm still waiting for my iPad and didn't carry the laptop today, but it worked great for a four lens kit on a couple hours long photo walk.

The two bags weigh about the same, empty. The Tenba's flap has somewhat over-noisy velcro closure as well as the two polycarbonate buckles ... I might remove the velcro, or cut it back to quiet it and make it less sticky.

Overall, I'm very pleased. There's plenty of additional stuff-space in the Tenba with everything I normally want to carry loaded and it suits my way of getting to and working with the gear well. Can't ask for much more.

No one bag is perfect for everything ...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    -- Bernard

Post Thanks / Like

My Tenba bag has an extra small inner flap to cover the velcro. This to enable noiseless opening. A TOP DETAIL !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought the same bag as Klaus late last year - the clincher detail for me was that it holds ( just!!!!) an 11 in macbook Air.

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

My Tenba bag has an extra small inner flap to cover the velcro. This to enable noiseless opening. A TOP DETAIL !
    I agree, it would have been nice to see that on this bag too. But it's easy to arrange: I wouldn't make it the discriminator. The Mini Messenger I bought seems a lot roomier than the photos you showed of the Messenger you bought. I'll make some photos of it today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No one yet has mentioned the bags by Artisan and Artist! Back when the M8 was new (09/2006 I believe) everyone was raving about them.

I own two of the bags and love them still. I just bought a new K5 and five lenses all of which fits neatly into the bag called, I believe, the Image Smith. In any event this very plush and tough bag stores the K5 with the 40 pancake attached in the main section along with the 15DA and the 55 1.4 SDMC, which is a large lens by Pentax K5 standards.

In the outer pocket there is plenty of room for the 21DA, the 43 1.9 and the 70 DA. I just got the kit and will be testing vigorously to determine how many of the lenses I want to keep.

But whatever the lens outcome, the A&A bag will be carrying all of it.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    No one yet has mentioned the bags by Artisan and Artist! Back when the M8 was new (09/2006 I believe) everyone was raving about them. ...
    I'd looked at the A&A "Image Smith", Woody. It seems a very nice bag for some kinds of gear, but it does not have the right shape or enough size for my needs with the E-5. Nor can it handle an iPad or laptop inside. For a more compact system like a Leica M or Micro-FourThirds, and a modest Pentax K-5 kit, it's probably a very nice bag.

Just got back from a second days meandering about with the Tenba Mini Messenger. It swallows up everything I need it to and remains trim and comfortable to carry. I also like that I can swap the shoulder strap for others that I like when I'm so inclined ... the standard one is really quite good, but I have others that work better when I'm carrying it bandolier style with a smaller load, etc.

I am delighted with it ... it's a winner for me. And such a deal at $90 or thereabouts.