The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using legacy glass w/magnified manual focus on Oly cameras

Godfrey

Tesselator: OK, yeah, I'd hate that too if I ever saw that happening. I can imagine it happening but in ~5 years of reading through about 10 to 15 thousand threads I've not seen it. ...
I see it happening all the time, every day, on every forum. Even here. It's the annoying part of trying to enjoy participating in camera equipment discussions. I mostly don't participate when I see it.

Thanks for your attempt to display what you see, but nothing comes through here usefully. Until I see it with my eyes on the camera, it's a toss up to me as to whether this new technology is actually any different in practical terms.

Godfrey

"endless, idiotic debate" ? Where? Can you link me to something you're talking about?
Right here. You're belaboring on a point that isn't worth wasting time on. Not that you're idiotic, it's just unwarranted debate for no reason.

turbines

Tesselator,

Thank you for your detailed explanation of aliasing and its' usefulness in obtaining accurate focus with some EVF. Your presentation was will done and very helpful to some of us.

Tesselator

Godfrey,
OK I see where're you're coming from. But what you're referring to as inconsequential and unwarranted about 99% of other users call useful information. Ya know, in real life Forest Gump would have probably ended up dead in a ditch somewhere before he ever got past puberty. ;) Knowledge is power! It enables us.

turbines,
Sure, NP! Glad it was helpful. I know most people "get it" so, it's all good. I dunno if it was directly useful in respect to DHart's question but... :) ...at least people will know that the GH2 and the G1 are not even close to being the same EVF-wise.

Godfrey

Godfrey,
OK I see where're you're coming from. But what you're referring to as inconsequential and unwarranted about 99% of other users call useful information. ...
lol ... That was the point of my original comment: what that 99% of others chatter endlessly about isn't really useful information. It's chaff, factoids taken as dogma without practical value, most of it. No matter what the spec, the technical debate for me always ends up looking at the thing in my hand and seeing what I see. That's definitive and not subject to debate. If I can't see it, it isn't there. ;-)

simonclivehughes

The point is that you're both right. You use the same tool but look at it differently.

Tesselator, you see flaws and try to explain them, whereas Godfrey picks up the same tool and uses it without being concerned with the flaws. As long as good art is being done by both, this discussion is moot.

Ciao,

Godfrey

The point is that you're both right. You use the same tool but look at it differently.

Tesselator, you see flaws and try to explain them, whereas Godfrey picks up the same tool and uses it without being concerned with the flaws. As long as good art is being done by both, this discussion is moot.
A typical conversation on the photo equipment forums:

Painter 1: "Oh my, the new Flimox brushes are really cool!"
Painter 2: "Yeah, well, they were until I found the bristles weren't really sable, they're mink."
Painter 1: "They lay paint pretty nicely!"
Painter 2: "Sable lays paint about 14.2% more efficiently."
Painter 1: "But what does that matter? The paint gets onto the paper the way I want it!"
Painter 2: "More efficiency is important. Consider if your money made 14.2% more interest in the bank. That's a lot more efficient way to have your money grow!"
Painter 1: "I don't know anyone returning 14.2% interest! Where do you find that?"
Painter 2: "Well, it doesn't exist, but it should. Why should we be satisfied with only the current 6.7% interest?"
Painter 1: "How is this related to the fact that Flimox brushes are really cool?"
Painter 2: "Hey, 7.5% difference is IMPORTANT! They better shape up or Flummox brushes will take away all their market!"
Painter 1: "I don't buy Flummox brushes. The last three I bought fell apart in a week."
Painter 2: "But they use REAL sable bristles! They have to be better!"

and so on...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lovely, almost as good as a painting (or is it a photo?).

A typical conversation on the photo equipment forums:

Painter 1: "Oh my, the new Flimox brushes are really cool!"
Painter 2: "Yeah, well, they were until I found the bristles weren't really sable, they're mink."
Painter 1: "They lay paint pretty nicely!"
Painter 2: "Sable lays paint about 14.2% more efficiently."
Painter 1: "But what does that matter? The paint gets onto the paper the way I want it!"
Painter 2: "More efficiency is important. Consider if your money made 14.2% more interest in the bank. That's a lot more efficient way to have your money grow!"
Painter 1: "I don't know anyone returning 14.2% interest! Where do you find that?"
Painter 2: "Well, it doesn't exist, but it should. Why should we be satisfied with only the current 6.7% interest?"
Painter 1: "How is this related to the fact that Flimox brushes are really cool?"
Painter 2: "Hey, 7.5% difference is IMPORTANT! They better shape up or Flummox brushes will take away all their market!"
Painter 1: "I don't buy Flummox brushes. The last three I bought fell apart in a week."
Painter 2: "But they use REAL sable bristles! They have to be better!"

and so on...