Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No más 4/3rds after E-5....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No más 4/3rds after E-5....

Well the mistake is in drawing conclusions about the shadow DR of the sensor from JPEGS :-)

- Raist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I saw the price of the new Canon 300mm f/2.8 today. It's around $6,500. That's just about three times the cost of a Zuiko 150mm f/2.0 which has the same reach on an E-5 as the Canon lens has on a 5DII.
    well but then again the sporting crowd use more the 1D and 7D which are more APS sized sensor so its actually more like comparing the 200 f2.8 for effective view similarity and that's only US$780 or so ...

I think that full frame users are probably not always telephoto users ... at least I'm not inclined to use full frame when using anything longer than 100mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Just to complete this before I go to bed. One of the weakest sides of the E-5 sensor is supposed to be shadow noise. Here's a comparison with the E-5 at ISO 800, the D7000 at ISO 1600 and D3s and 1DIV at ISO 3200. That should represent the nominal difference between the sensor sizes (a little bit unfair towards the Canon since it's 1.3 crop, but still).
    I'm so glad to see that others recognise that one needs to compare these things at same DoF and shutter speed ... which of course gives 4/3 an advantage to use the lower ISO over the larger format.

Then you can still bump up the ISO

unless you don't think that the DoF is an issue and should be equalised for....

I sit on the fence on that one, sometimes for, some times against :-)

sometimes I don't think the marginal difference in DoF matters and I just want to open up as much as I can

young Kookaburra by obakesan, on Flickr

other times I just can't get it shallow enough on 4/3 even wide open (and speeds wound up as high as they can go (ISO as low) ...

beach scene - pied oyster catchers and terns by obakesan, on Flickr

but I seldom want for the full frame ... unless I'm deliberately after that shallow look on a normal or wide