Site Sponsors

Thread: Panasonic GH1 vs G2 for still photos

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic GH1 vs G2 for still photos

Hello,

I have a GF1 and I'm completing my downsize from FF DSLR and want a G-style body. And I really just need the body (have 20mm and 14-45mm already).

I really have no interest in video, haven't ever used it on the GF1 and can't really think of any reason I'd need to shoot video. I like wide open landscapes, B&W, and some street. I usually print B&W at 15"x10".

At first I was weighing G2 vs. GH2 and decided for the cost I could use the G2. Then I started seeing some comparisons (DxO, etc.) that more favorably rank the GH1 over the G2.

Bottom line, for stills, would I regret the older GH1 versus a G2/GH2?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic GH1 vs G2 for still photos

There's nothing to regret in the GH1 for stills. The G2 has the same sensor as the oldest G1, but with added processing to achieve the extra stop, but losing detail in the process IMO. The GH1 is definitely better than the G2. The GH2 loses on the GH1 on price, and doesn't gain a whole lot in stills quality. It boasts some better noise processing, but it looks over-processed to me over the GH1. Not worth the price difference if you ask me. I'm sticking with my GH1 until something clearly better comes along.
    -Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GH1 is excellent for stills, and I hardly use any other camera these days. One advantage over the G2 is the oversized sensor, allowing different aspect ratios without losing resolution. I was considering buying a GH2, but will probably get an E-5 instead. The a I have semi-compatible system (GH1 plus E-5), with one camera that can be used for action and whenever I need a hammer or weapon, while the GH1 is nice for travel and video. I'm sure the GH2 is better in some areas, but I'm not sure if I care

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff

I went from a GF-1 to a GH-2. I actually did not consider any other models in between as I was very impressed with the higher iso samples I saw on the internet for the GH-2. I wanted to be able to confidently work at iso1600 with a m43rds camera and so far I have not been disappointed. You can see some examples at my Flickr stream from the middle of January postings onwards (look at the camera info because I have posted a lot of Hasselblad images recently, as well).

The GH-2 continues to impress me on many levels: IQ, build quality, speed, the EVF etc.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Can't more than agree!! Tha GH-1 served me approx. 20.000 stills in one year,
    now the GH-2 will continue that task. No other body of the few I have was used
    that much...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    GH1 is excellent for stills, and I hardly use any other camera these days. One advantage over the G2 is the oversized sensor, allowing different aspect ratios without losing resolution.
    I thought both cameras had that? That's only on the GH series?

ED: BTW, I think the GH1 noise handling is better than the G2's. For the G2 they strengthened their firmware denoiser but it seems to flush the image - at least of the samples I've seen. RAW on the GH1 properly processed looks better to me. On the other hand, if you're not a pixel-peeper you may like the touch-screen focusing on the G2 enough to pick it over the GH1.

Had I to pick if both were offered to me for free I would pick the GH1.