The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 and the 45-200 - meet the neighbors

DHart

I just received my 45-200 today. I don't expect that I will probably use this lens that much, but the price was very reasonable and having a 400mm equiv. seemed like a potentially useful focal length, on occasion, for me.

A couple of images from wandering my property today.... of the pack of alpacas that approached me at the fence, this one immediately struck me with her eyes. None of the others had eyes like this!

Meet one of my neighbors...

mark1000

All the talk i hear about how soft this lens is supposed to be are blown out of the water when i see shots like these, nice set Don.

Mark.

DHart

Thanks, Mark. I think the sharpness is mostly a matter of getting camera movement under control. Hand holding this lens with sharp results at 200mm is very tricky. I was resting the camera on a fence post and had a shutter speed of about 1/650th. Shooting at 200mm, even with IS, any camera movement is going to make for a good bit of softness.

iiiNelson

I owned that lens and it is a very good lens for the price. It's very possible to hand hold it at 200mm if you have very steady hands and control your breathing. I know this because I've done it myself. Maybe it's the years of target shooting but nice shot of the Alpaca nontheless.

DHart

Thanks, Klaus.

HA... Shooting cameras and guns take much the same skill set! Good, skilled technique can make all the difference, ESP with the long shots.

pellicle

Hi

I just received my 45-200 today. I don't expect that I will probably use this lens that much, but the price was very reasonable and having a 400mm equiv. seemed like a potentially useful focal length, on occasion, for me.
I reckon that the OIS will help video too ... done a little hand held with a 200mm on my GH1 and its quite jittery (not unexpected) the 14-45 works a treat so I would expect that (within reason) the 45-200 would work simillarly.

btw ... do those creatures eat everything as much as angora goats do?

DHart

hey pellicle! Not sure on the alpaca diet... all they have at hand (or mouth, that is) is grass!