Site Sponsors

Thread: Micro 4/3 (which one?) or NEX?

Post Thanks / Like

Micro 4/3 (which one?) or NEX?

I am newbie if its coming down to either of these relative new breeds of camera/system. Well, the old age is showing and I am considering getting a smallish camera that I can use in combination with my Leica M9 system to travel light. I like the idea of being able to use my Leica M lenses on it and at the same time being able to use AF using its respective lens. And the idea of bringing either one as a back up camera with possibly using AF on the long end is appealing to me. First, the basic question micro 4/3 or Sony NEX; what will be my best bet? If the first, which system does the typical user prefers; Panasonic or Olympus? While the first question seems to be fairly straight forward, I understand that the second question may bring up a ton debates. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Thanks,
    Joshua
    Joshua - M9: Leica-M & Zeiss ZM lenses + Canon DSLR

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micro 4/3 (which one?) or NEX?

Do you like to shoot with an eye level viewfinder?

Do you intend to use zooms or primes? What focal lengths do you want to cover with the new system?

Will you be shooting RAW or JPEG?

How important is image stabilization to you with wide-normal lenses?

----------------

Those are some of the questions I'd ask for a start. However, in the end, I'm going to recommend that you buy a Panasonic GH2 .
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Amin,
    Thanks for your input. Eye level is my preference. My Leica lenses are all primes but I can handle a zoom or two. I never shot JPG.... What is that LOL? Stabilization on the long end is important and anything else is gravy. GH2, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

If eye level is your preference, then Sony NEX is not there yet (without workarounds), and Olympus bodies need an add-on EVF, which to me is awkward but others feel differently.

The Panasonic GH2 has the best sensor of all 4/3 and Micro 4/3 cameras and best autofocus of all Micro 4/3 cameras. If you shoot RAW and use Lightroom, there is virtually no difference in sensor image quality between most of the Micro 4/3 cameras (other than auto-metering choices by the cameras and minor differences in AA filter quality/strength). The Panasonic bodies won't give you stabilization with the wide/normal lenses, but stabilization will be built into the long lenses.

Putting it altogether, I'd highly recommend the Panasonic GH2. If you want a kit of AF primes, the Panasonic 14/2.5, 20/1.7, and 45/2.8 are all great. The zooms are all either great (7-14, 14-45) or good (everything else).
    -Amin Sabet

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Amin. I will look into that GH2 then. You don't seem to be enthusiastic about the other, longer zoom or zooms from Panasonic, huh? I will go over on-line reviews in the next several days. Any other input from other members, please ?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used the 100-300 zoom, but I have owned the 45-200 (which I consider to be a good lens for its class) and still own the 14-140mm lens (which I also consider to be a good lens for its class). I've also used the Olympus 14-150, liked it, and reviewed it here.
    -Amin Sabet

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AGeoJO View Post
    I am newbie if its coming down to either of these relative new breeds of camera/system. Well, the old age is showing and I am considering getting a smallish camera that I can use in combination with my Leica M9 system to travel light. I like the idea of being able to use my Leica M lenses on it and at the same time being able to use AF using its respective lens. And the idea of bringing either one as a back up camera with possibly using AF on the long end is appealing to me.

First, the basic question micro 4/3 or Sony NEX; what will be my best bet? If the first, which system does the typical user prefers; Panasonic or Olympus? While the first question seems to be fairly straight forward, I understand that the second question may bring up a ton debates. Can anyone enlighten me, please?
    I have no interest in the Sony system as I see Micro-FourThirds and its compatibility with my FourThirds SLR lens system as a big advantage. Much as Sony has some nice lenses too, I won't get back into buying two completely different yet so similar systems like that.

The Panasonic G1 was a fine camera ... used one from 2008 until a short time after I bought the Olympus E-5 and was quite pleased with its capabilities. Now looking at Micro-FourThirds again, I'd pick the Olympus E-PL2 with VF2 as a better "compact companion" to the E-5 (or Leica M9) from the current offerings. It's much smaller than the Panasonic G1/GH1/G2/GH2 bodies and provides similar capabilities with the addition of in-body image stabilization, useful with adapted manual lenses. The E-PL2 improves on the handling ergonomics of the E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 quite a bit, IMO, which was my original complaint about the E-P1 (and a similar complaint for the Panasonic GF1 too).

All of the mFT cameras, Panasonic to Olympus, have been pretty darn good performers. Their lens versatility is very useful. I like the options available with the more compact E-PL2 body and its removable VF-2 viewfinder, particularly if the primary goal is compactness.

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, thanks for your input.

I realize the difference in sensor size between the two systems and do you and/or other members that use micro 4/3 systems feel the shortcoming of the smaller sensor size relative the the NEX, which uses an APS-C sensor? Or the size difference doesn't matter if it is coming down to real life shots?

Post Thanks / Like

I very recently added a GH2 to my m4/3 arsenal, which includes the G1 and GF1. I too got started with m4/3 specifically for a reasonably priced digital platform on which I could use my collection of Leica M lenses, although now I have several Panasonic lenses, and they're wonderful.

For manual use of legacy lenses, including Leicas of course, the GH2 is the very best of the breed so far. The EVF is better, the manual focus assist is quicker and the resolution is better.

I join Amin in highly recommending the GH2.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, thanks for your input.

I realize the difference in sensor size between the two systems and do you and/or other members that use micro 4/3 systems feel the shortcoming of the smaller sensor size relative the the NEX, which uses an APS-C sensor? Or the size difference doesn't matter if it is coming down to real life shots?
    NEX has a 16x24mm sensor. Micro-FourThirds sensor proportions are different, so its 13x17.3mm size translates to 16x21.7mm on the NEX sensor. In essence, it really doesn't come down to be that much smaller.

What's key when looking at noise characteristics are photosite sizing and sensor technology. The photosite sizing is very close because the pixel densities are about the same. The latest Sony sensors prove to be a little cleaner at ultra-high ISO than the latest Panasonic sensors due to differences in the technology outside of that.

However, the difference is marginal at best in practical use.

Post Thanks / Like

Joshua,

Maybe I can give you my impressions as I currently have both m43 (GH1, GF1 E-PL1) and NEX 5 systems. As others have mentioned, the kit lenses for both systems are quite good, and M glass can be fitted to both systems too for a manual focus experience.

I find that I use the M lenses with the NEX bodies more than the m43, and I see better IQ from the NEX sensor (especially at higher ISOs). The downside is no EVF for the NEX, although I use the JTec cold shoes and use my optical VFs for zone focussing. Should an EVF become available for the NEX, it would be my ideal camera.

The m43 gear I tend to use more with the AF lenses (the 2X crop doesn't always work well with the RF lenses), and for the longer reach you get. All that said, however, I certainly have used the M lenses on the m43 and they work well, especially with the IBIS of the E-PL1.

I originally had a pair of M8s and sold them as the focussing was no longer as accurate as I wanted, but the focussing with either the NEX or m43 cams is quite a bit better, especially with an EVF.

Here's a recent shot with the Nokton 50mm f1.1 (@f1.1) on the E-PL1.

Attachment 42395

Hope this helps,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 23rd May 2012 at 19:22.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the NEX5 and the EP2 and finally sold the NEX as I did almost not use it - could not get friends with it, although the results were pretty good. But I like the rendering and colors of the Olympus much more. Also I have the EVF for the EP2 and this is a real great thing!

I added also the GH2 in Jan this year and this is no doubt the 43 (m43) camera with the best sensor available currently. It is a bit bulky compared to the EP2 or EPL2 but it delivers. Listening to your requirements I would also suggest you take the EPL2 with EVF - built in IS, small enough and great quality.

If you would prefer highest IQ then the E5 would top all of the m43 stuff, but for the price of being much bigger and heavier

My choice would be anytime 43 or m43 above NEX!

My 5c

Post Thanks / Like

Ron and Simon, thank you for your input. Godfrey, thank you for the explanation in sensor size difference.

Amin and Ron, how does the AF assist work on manual focus lenses such as those Leica-M lenses? Is there an LED light indicator and/or audio beep? I assume the AF uses a phase contrast system then...

Simon, the NEX doesn't have any EVF then? But it is mirrorless; how do you focus then?

I am sure that you can tell from my questions that I have not been exposed to this at all. Except for the Leica RF system, I have used a Canon DSLR and tons of lenses. It is just lately, I felt like scaling down the weight/bulk of gear I take on trips I do quite a bit since I am retired now. Until recently, I took both systems on trips and I my age is showing more and more lately....

Thanks,
    Joshua

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    If you would prefer highest IQ then the E5 would top all of the m43 stuff, but for the price of being much bigger and heavier

... and unable to use Leica M lenses.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonSmith View Post
    ... and unable to use Leica M lenses.
    sure - of course! but then you would have the possibility to use just the best DSLR lenses available today ..... hmmmm maybe not enough

Post Thanks / Like

Amin and Ron, how does the AF assist work on manual focus lenses such as those Leica-M lenses? Is there an LED light indicator and/or audio beep? I assume the AF uses a phase contrast system then...

Joshua, it's not AF assist, as there is no AF nor focus confirmation available. Rather, by pressing on the rear control wheel with a legacy lens mounted, the image in the viewfinder or on the LCD is enlarged, making it much easier to focus. The resolution of the GH2's EVF is superior to that of previous models.

Also, though I dearly love the GF1, the necessity of pressing the button on the side of the EVF to switch the view to or from the LCD becomes tiresome. The GH2 (and the G1 for that matter) can automatically switch when you place or remove your eye from the viewfinder.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Simon, the NEX doesn't have any EVF then? But it is mirrorless; how do you focus then?
    You focus by using the LCD screen. On the NEX, I most often use it with the screen tilted upward, holding the camera like a TLR. As you approach focus, the LCD exhibits some aliasing which indicates sharpness. For really fine focus, use the bottom function button to magnify the image on the LCD. It's worth pointing out again that the LCD, when set to the Sunny Weather setting is the best I've seen yet for use in bright conditions.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

.. how does the AF assist work on manual focus lenses such as those Leica-M lenses? Is there an LED light indicator and/or audio beep? I assume the AF uses a phase contrast system then...
    On all the Micro-FourThirds cameras, the autofocus system is based on a Contrast-Detect algorithm, not a Phase-Detect algorithm. Phase Detect algorithms are what AF SLRs use, utilizing a separate set of focusing system sensors from the main sensor (or film).

However, when using adapted manual focus lenses on mirrorless cameras, the AF system is completely un-involved with focusing. With adapted lenses, focus is done on the LCD or EVF screens as if they are a ground glass using either the normal viewing resolution or Manual Focus Assist, which enlarges the portion of the image you select to make critical focusing easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again for your input, guys. Sorry, I stepped out for a little while and couldn't respond right away. OK, I have a better understanding on how the focusing aspect works now.

ptomsu, thank you for your insight into the E5. However, at this point, if it is coming down to the pure image quality, I will have to rely on the M9 with ASPH lenses and I would like to use a smallish system that I can use my existing Leica with. That body and a good zoom lens should be sufficient for me to rely on just in case the M9 gives up while travelling and to use longer lenses, longer than 100-120mm (equivalent for 35mm format) with IS or OS that can autofocus, of course. I don't want to add another system into the mix. Well, to a certain degree, I do with either the micro 4/3 or NEX but again, mostly used for backup and/or tele purposes.

Thanks again,
    Joshua

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind aspect ratio with your choice. Sounds like you are coming from an M9 with a 3:2 aspect ratio. If you really want to shoot that aspect ratio and wouldn't care for the 4:3 aspect ratio you may want to consider that the GH1 and GH2 have multi-aspect sensors that will allow you to shoot 3:2 while still maintaining the m43 sensor diagonal. The other m43 cameras will just do a crop of the 4:3 field of view if you set them to 3:2. The NEX is already a 3:2 aspect sensor.

The first page of the DPR GH2 review has a good description and figure showing the multi-aspect sensor concept:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2/

Of course, if you aren't particularly married to the 3:2 aspect ratio it doesn't really matter. I happen to prefer a more square aspect ratio anyway so I usually shoot in the 4:3 aspect because I most frequently crop to 5:4 anyway.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken,
    Thank you for informing about the aspect ratio. It is a piece of additional information.

Now, I do have a question to both NEX and micro 4/3 users. With the format of your choice and you want to use more than just one lens - do you have to buy the respective number of adapters or can you get away with just one and change the lenses on the adapter side?

Thank you,
    Joshua

Post Thanks / Like

Joshua, with Leica M and Nikon lenses, you can use one adapter, and just change lenses on the adapter. I have one Nikon adapter, one EOS, but two Ms ... in case I want to use M lenses on two cameras at the same time.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Ron. You can use one adapter for both Nikon and Leica M lenses? I thought that you have to have at least one adapter for each bayonet mount. Or is that what you meant ? I will be using only Leica-M lenses on whatever it is I will be buying before too long as a "backup" body. I do have DSLR lenses alright but they are too bulky for my travelling light kit.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll need separate adapters for each mount type.

Ciao,

Post Thanks / Like

That was rather ambiguous, wasn't it?

No, you have to have a Nikon-m4/3 adapter for Nikon lenses and a Leica M-m4/3 adapter for Leica lenses.

For the Leicas, I have two, as I sometimes use more than one camera at the same time.
    Ron Smith
    Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, one adapter for each bayonet mount. That's taken for granted . It is the same when using alternative lenses on Canon body, which I did several years back. And that applies to both micro 4/3 and NEX formats, I assume. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Eye level is my preference. My Leica lenses are all primes but I can handle a zoom or two. I never shot JPG.... What is that LOL? Stabilization on the long end is important and anything else is gravy. GH2, huh?
    or if video is inconsequential G1 / G2 ... but you won't get stabilisation with the Panasonic cameras as they are down the lens based methodology.

I found that my G1 was more responsive to things than my GH1 is but only something that most will spot after long use of the G1 and then switching to the GH1 ... I can't speak for the GH2

If stills is your bag then I don't see too much benefit in the GH2 over the G2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jonathan. I am not seriously into video but I do take video clips here and there on my Canon DSLR. Since it is there, it comes in handy.

I really appreciate all inputs, guys. Since I know more about these camera systems, I will finish taking a look at several online reviews and I will probably pull the trigger this weekend.

Thanks again,
    Joshua

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post
    or if video is inconsequential G1 / G2 ... but you won't get stabilisation with the Panasonic cameras as they are down the lens based methodology.

I found that my G1 was more responsive to things than my GH1 is but only something that most will spot after long use of the G1 and then switching to the GH1 ... I can't speak for the GH2

If stills is your bag then I don't see too much benefit in the GH2 over the G2
    The GH2 is 16Mpixel while the G1 and G2 are 12. I know resolution isn't everything, but the GH2 is considered to be the best of the bunch at the moment. I use a G1, GF1 and the Sony NEX-5, and used to have a E-P2, and would recommend the Panasonics as being the easiest to use as the menus and buttons seem more logical to me. The Sony has a great screen, especially with the angled movements, but an EVF would make critical focussing much better. The Olympus menus are horrible, and the E-P3 screen was too low res for me - they fixed that with the EPL1 and 2 though.

If I was buying today it would be the GH2 for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    The GH2 is 16Mpixel while the G1 and G2 are 12. I know resolution isn't everything, but the GH2 is considered to be the best of the bunch at the moment.
    agreed ...but as you say pixels and resolution aren't everything, so if the OP happens to feel that the extra $500 or so dollars is better spent on something else (like a lens) then perhaps its worth mentioning ... which is why I did

BTW 4,608 x 3,456 vs 4000 x 300 .. 16 sounds like 30% more than 12 but then it resolution and print size doesn't go up in the same way as the MP count does (4608's only around 15% more width)

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    If I was buying today it would be the GH2 for me.
    as an ex-G1 owner and current GH2 owner I may go the other way and go for the G2 (or a good G1) as personally I don't use video much nor need more resolution or pixels than I have already ... of course that's just my input ... YMMV

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

. . . . . for me today it is the Leica M9 with the GF1 with the following lens being used on either camera, Leica Elmar 24/3.8; Voigtlander 28/1.9; Leitz Summaron 3.5cm f/3.5; Leica Summicron - M 35mm f2 Asph; Voigtlander Nokton Classic SC 40mm f1.4; Leitz Summitar 5 cm f2; Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical 50/1.5; Voigtlander Heliar Classic 75mm f1.8; Voigtlander APO Lather 90/3.5 MC; Leitz Elmar 9cm f/4; Leitz Hector 135mm f/4.5

For use with the GF1 only: Panasonic 7 - 14 - f4-22; Leica D Vario 14 - 50/3.8-5.6; Panasonic 20mm / F1.7 Asph; Voightlander Nokton 25mm f0.95; Carl Zeiss Planar f2 - 16 / 45mm T*; Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC Biometar 80mm f2.8; Voigtlander S APO Lanthar 85mm f3.5; Carl Zeiss Sonnar f2.8 - 22 / 90mm T*; ISCO - Gottingen - Isconar 100mm f4;

The combo works, the GF1 is slim and with the EVF and focus assist I find it it to be a great camera. If they had put most of the enhancements into the GF2 that they put into the GH2 then I would most likely would have upgraded.

You definitely can achieve your goal of have two bodies using one set of lens, with a few good autofocus lens on the micro four thirds if you want. I would not rule out the Leica D Four/Thirds lens used with an adaptor on the micro 4/3rds body, the quality it excellent.

I have recently sold off a number of lenses to help pay for the M9 and will most likely trim a few more off the list as time goes by. ( . . . . . as well as add a few I'm sure)

Someone added in their 5 cents worth, I thought I would add my two cents so you now have at least 7 cents worth of advise.

Spend it wisely!

Have fun!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW... many words here. What was the question again? Oh, never mind. The answer is GH2
    It's the best current m4/3 camera, and although you might not need the video, the price difference down to the second best isn't all that much. For compact, I would choose the E-PL2, but with the EVF, it's almost as expensive as the GH2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    WOW... many words here. What was the question again? Oh, never mind. The answer is GH2
    Yup.....you nailed it....the answer is GH2 (with the E-PL2 a very nice smaller body alternative).

R

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oké, I am going to buy the GH2 now!

Michiel

Post Thanks / Like

I will wait for E-Ppro ( E-P3 ) hopefully to arrive this summer

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bought it! They didn't have the black kit with the 14-42 lens. I said I actually don't need another kit lens, but they only sell them as kit's here. So I was very disapointed!
    But he pulled a kit with the 14-140 out and said; I sell you body only and I said; now we are talking and said: in that case I buy it with the 20/1.7

So I got exactly what I wanted, the impossible combi

Now my question is: How does the old 14-45 kitlens perform with it?
    Does it focus slower (especially with video) then the new kitlens?

Remember I red somewhere the quality is of the old one is somehow better then the new kitlens.

Well I find out soon enough but the charger is still on.
    Different battery then the G1 and a way to short cable on the new charger. Changed that one with the one from the G1 charger.
    I noticed the cables are getting shorter each time.
    Might as well stick the charger right in the plug in the future.
    I guess every centimeter count when you think in millions.

For the rest I am a happy men the more so since I bought yesterday in a second hand shop a mint (glasswise) Meyer Triotar 100/2.8 for € 14,50 and a Pentax takumar 50/1.4 (was on my wishlist for a long time, but I didn't want to pay evil prices)for € 27,50

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    I will wait for E-Ppro ( E-P3 ) hopefully to arrive this summer )
    That's what I'm waiting for too. When it comes out, I'll debate between it and the E-PL2. It's a tussle between compact and pro-grade build for me.

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    Bought it! They didn't have the black kit with the 14-42 lens.

Now my question is: How does the old 14-45 kitlens perform with it?
    Does it focus slower (especially with video) then the new kitlens?

Well I find out soon enough but the charger is still on.
    Different battery then the G1 and a way to short cable on the new
    Michiel
    I've been quite pleased with how well my 14-45 does on AF during video. I can hear no traces of its focusing during video recording. I hear that the 20mm is not like that.

the battery thing is very very

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey thanks pellicle.
    Still all to fresh to me, so had no time for video yet. To busy with the 20mm today.

Michiel

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    I will wait for E-Ppro ( E-P3 ) hopefully to arrive this summer
    Olympus' position on the pro grade m4/3 camera seems very unclear. In an interview recently (can't remember where), they stated that it's 2-3 years away, but that might be the hybrid 4/3-m4/3 camera many are dreaming about. It would be nice if there is at least a "half pro" camera this year. Still, I will probably use both Panasonic and Olympus. They seem to have different strengths.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Olympus' position on the pro grade m4/3 camera seems very unclear. In an interview recently (can't remember where), they stated that it's 2-3 years away, but that might be the hybrid 4/3-m4/3 camera many are dreaming about. It would be nice if there is at least a "half pro" camera this year. Still, I will probably use both Panasonic and Olympus. They seem to have different strengths.
    Given that all the Japanese manufacturers have had a bit of a hiccup in their plans due to the well-known external events, none can be held accountable to whatever was said in an interview prior to March 11.

I don't need to know when Olympus will release its next pro-grade camera, of whatever format. I'm quite happy with the E-5 and my current kit. If I really need a smallish camera any time before they release something new, I'll just pick from what's available. They all perform well enough already ...

Post Thanks / Like

All this discussion about what might happen and when it might happen and if it might happen - MAN, I also want new toys but to be very honest, I never was so happy with a DSLR before than I am with the E5. In combination with 2/14-35 and 2/35-100. And some old Zuiko lenses one can buy today for a real bargain

I even am so happy, that I almost stopped posting here and in other places, as I like shooting so much with that camera.

So to make it short - I will be able to easily survive till Olympus brings their next great success - E7, M43xyz, .... who knows. And for small I can use either my EP2 and/or GH2.

Josh, actually you should no longer bother with 43 or M43 if you are not convinced till now and just go for the wonderful NEX and have fun. NEX is for sure much better!
    Last edited by ptomsu; 11th April 2011 at 10:58.