The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Panasonic GH2

Sapphie

I am not sure there is such a thread yet, why not?

some of my first attempts, both of these on a dull day with 14-140 mm

Lee

marlof

I put my GH2 shots so far in the 43 thread. Since I shoot with both a PEN E-P2 and a GH2 ( and seldom te E-1) the generic thread was covenient. :)

Amin

Looking good, Lee.

Here's a recent one of mine with Pana 14 @ f/2.5:

P1010806 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Surprised by the mixed reports on this lens. I think it's a winner.

Amin

43 Ltd looks to be a good performer on the 4/3 sensor.

Didn't make it out much today. It was cold and gray here in Boston. 14mm @ f/2.5 again:

P1020134 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

Rich M

43 Ltd looks to be a good performer on the 4/3 sensor.

Didn't make it out much today. It was cold and gray here in Boston. 14mm @ f/2.5 again:

Amin....you have a very good eye with that 14mm. I have that lens, and quite frankly all my shots with it look like c**p.

R

Amin

Thanks, Rich! I'm aware of the mediocre reviews but think the 14 is a little gem. Come on GH2 shooters, show us some more!

Sapphie

Some from me today, all with 14-140, camera on 'P' mode.

Lee

EDIT: Looking at these now they look quite a bit 'lighter' than my pre-export versions in Lightroom, not sure why, my K5 exports have been fairly true ...

Last edited:

Amin

Ron, great shot!

Lee, beautiful spring photos. I like a little extra brightness for those bright spring days :).

Here are some of mine from today with the GH2 (all were using 14/2.5):

Last edited:

Sapphie

Discovered that when this thing is in iA mode it is *crazy* with high contrast scenes:

and this was a very high contrast scene. Full sun on the church and the tree in deep shadow. iA mode almost nailed it but a bit of highlight recovery/black recovery and fill light got a result far better than my feeble attempt in Av mode:

Lee

Sapphie

Another one in iA mode. Of course I could just be a numpty with some old fashioned 'I think I know best' mode but the camera knows better!

Lee

DHart

The GH2 is a very "smart" camera indeed. Sometimes no matter how skilled an image maker is, there are many times when iA (I call it "intelligentIdiot" mode) :ROTFL: is the way to go! And "P" (this I call "Pre-fessional") :LOL: is awesome as well.

Sapphie

The GH2 is a very "smart" camera indeed. Sometimes no matter how skilled an image maker is, there are many times when iA (I call it "intelligentIdiot" mode) :ROTFL: is the way to go! And "P" (this I call "Pre-fessional") :LOL: is awesome as well.
Don, indeed, I do wonder if some of my 'problems' with modern cameras are that I don't actually just let them get on with it!

Lee

(still thinking manual focus in manual metering mode with no IS is best!)

Amin

Great examples, Lee. I confess I haven't tried iA mode, but perhaps I should. I think of "Auto Tone" in Lightroom as my reversible iA mode.

One thing I love about the GH2 that no current DSLR can do is that it immediately detects faces in the frame and then optimizes exposure for those faces. Here's a good example on Bjorn Utpott's blog: http://www.bmupix.com/journal/2011/4/12/boys-will-be-boys.html

It's a lot simpler than using spot metering or dialing in exposure compensation. When photographing people at an event with constantly changing light conditions, it is extremely useful.

Sapphie

I am having a bit of a love hate relationship with this thing. Battery life seems poor (maybe I haven't recharged it enough yet) and I can't see well through the eVF in bright light but the pics look ok:

Again, this one in iA mode. 14-140mm hand held.

Lee