The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A bit of a daft question

N

nzmacro

Can't seem to find much on this. I've bought and adaptor to take Canon FD lenses. I've seen a few threads in here (yes I do look :)) about other Canon FD lenses. What I would like to ask, has anyone used or tried a Canon FD 300 F/2.8 on a 4/3 camera ??

Its a huge lens, but I would be very interested in results. Bird shots, etc. And ;) ;), what would happen if a closeup filter was added to the rear filter drawer instead of std type filters. I'm just not quite sure on that one. Any optical experts around. I do try wierd things to say the least.

So a daft question, but one I would be seriously interested in.

Thanks for your time, its appreciated :)

Danny.

pellicle

back again

I know a fella on another site who has one. Personally however after using the 300f4 and a 200f4 and adding a 200f2.8 to that I can say that I find myself drifting back to the 200f4 as what I use most. the f2.8 is "softer" than I like at f2.8 and it is only an extra stop.

For instance I took this shot in the forest one day with my 200f4

noisy pitta by obakesan, on Flickr

cranked it up to max ISO so as to get usable hand held speeds all the while wishing for the extra stop of the f2.8

Now that I have that I'm not so certain that it really does make or break it for me. As well there are substantial weight issues in gaining that extra stop. On (for instance) the FD 300 you go from 945g with the f4 to 2300g to get f2.8

I use my f4 quite a bit at f4, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about the 2.8 at 2.8 and if I stop down to 4 then what's the reason? I don't get 'extra focus accuracy'

Some 300f4 examples (sorry to bore you)

tawny Frogmouth by obakesan, on Flickr

young Kookaburra by obakesan, on Flickr

kuusiTintti by obakesan, on Flickr

hömötintti by obakesan, on Flickr

N

nzmacro

Thats excellent thanks. Took a look at the larger images from your flickr account. Very nice details. Yes the F/2.8 gets very heavy, but seems very sharp even fully open.

A huge thanks for your time and thats a big help thanks :)

Danny.