The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH2 + Pinwide Pinhole images

ustein

Contributing Editor
Greg, nice.

One has to get used to the fact that the Pinwide gets a lot of diffraction and is very soft. But that gets the dreamy look. Greg's subject is a good match.

Last edited:

Greg Lockrey

Thanks Uwe. It is definitely softer than a pinhole on a Canon 5D which is softer than on 4x5 film. But it has a nice look.

Amin

Greg, very nice results with the Pinwide, especially the last of your series.

Uwe, I love the second image you posted in this thread. Really wonderful.

Godfrey

Like 'em.

I'm getting interested to try a Lensbaby with zone plate and pinhole "lenses".

`Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.` Henri Cartier-Bresson

bennettk

Just got my Pinwide yesterday. Base exposure outdoors in full sun is about 1/8 sec at ISO 800, which is sort of semi-handholdable (and when did that ever stop me?) The through-the-lens image shows up on the LCD monitor outdoors. It's almost enough to help frame the image, but not much else. Indoors, it's totally black.

I quickly decided that square format was the way to go, since that minimizes the light falloff in the corners and gives the images a certain vintage look. B&W works pretty well, too. Kind of reminds me of my Holga. Images are very soft throughout, but have something of a surreal quality that I like.

tofa

An ignorant question: is there a single pinhole diameter determined by the particular camera? In other words, is only one size pinhole feasible for the M4/3s? I'm just wondering if a slightly larger hole would allow less diffraction while still giving the broad DOF of a pinhole.

Greg Lockrey

An ignorant question: is there a single pinhole diameter determined by the particular camera? In other words, is only one size pinhole feasible for the M4/3s? I'm just wondering if a slightly larger hole would allow less diffraction while still giving the broad DOF of a pinhole.
There is an optimum pinhole diameter based on focal length. Film size is not a factor.