The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus art filter question

L

luznoi

When using the filter mode, does one have control over camera settings? Specifically the ISO, aperture and shutter speed?

L

luznoi

Anyone? It's not a difficult question. If you don't use these art filters, can you just check for me? Thanks in advance.

Internaut

Just had a quick try. You can certainly control the aperture and ISO is subject to a separate control (on the Super Control Panel) anyway. Alternatively, just shoot raw using any exposure mode you like and apply the art filter using the Olympus Viewer software. Hope that helps.

L

luznoi

Well, I don't really want to deal with another PP program. I rather do it in camera...I am not a speed freak so I can deal with the slower processing. As long as I can choose my ISO and A, I'm fine. I thought they were disabled and set to ISO 200 by default. Thanks!

Helena

I don't know if the various Olympus models are different from each other in this aspect, but with E-PL2 you can be in A mode and then choose the art filters via the menus. If you access the art filters this way you can change aperture etc.. Maybe there's an easier way to do it, but this works for me.

L

luznoi

Thanks, Helena! Now, with the epl2 on A mode, can you also adjust the ISO setting while utilizing the art filter? Say, for example, can you be in A priority mode and, say, grainy b+w filter *and* switch ISO between ISO 100 and 1600.
The reason I ask is that all the epl2 images that popped up googling came up only with ISO 200...I just thought ISO 200 was (fixed) default with art filters. I know it's odd but, with some cameras set to certain filters, one can't manipulate other functions...

Helena

So sorry about the late reply, but I have been out traveling.

I don't know about default, but yes, you can change ISO to whatever you want while using an Art filter (being in A priority mode, for example). I haven't looked around much, but it seems to me that most, if not all, settings are available to use together with the Art filters when accessed this way (via the menu, and not via the Art filter mode on the wheel).

Riley

on the SLRs, its just done from the Super Control Panel
select it like any other controllable property, in this case as with Vivid or Natural etc, and it appears where you see text changing here

. You can have any image setting with that, or in any mode. You can even edit them out of the SCP menu if you wish to

Godfrey

on the SLRs, its just done from the Super Control Panel
select it like any other controllable property, in this case as with Vivid or Natural etc, and it appears where you see text changing here

. You can have any image setting with that, or in any mode, and you can run movie mode that way too. You can even edit them out of the SCP menu if you wish to
Also, you can capture raw format and apply any art filters you want, rendering out to JPEGs in-camera after the fact.

Riley

yes, I have seen a demo where they upload a RAW back into the camera, select an Art filter and produce a jpeg.