The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

close-up photos for a food critic??

clark666

I have a client that wants to buy a camera. She’s a food critic so taking close pictures is important. She prefers a compact camera that she can take around easily so no big ones with the huge lenses. What model would you suggest?

I’m thinking the Powershot 300HS, A3300IS or the SD3500IS but I really don’t know what to look for for the close-up photos.

biglouis

I have a client that wants to buy a camera. She’s a food critic so taking close pictures is important. She prefers a compact camera that she can take around easily so no big ones with the huge lenses. What model would you suggest?

I’m thinking the Powershot 300HS, A3300IS or the SD3500IS but I really don’t know what to look for for the close-up photos.
Panasonic LX5 and show her how to use the macro facility. Of course the ideal would be a Panasonic GH-2 with the Leica 45/2.8 but that is a bit more to lug about.

LouisB

clark666

Thank you. I was hoping there was something new and special that I could recommend. Maybe the new iPhone 5 will be an answer

MRfanny

How close does she want to go really? canon s95 looks decent if she has to have something new. the fuji x100 if she wants something more stylish, would love to get my hands on one of these myself.

JBurnett

Some of the decision might depend on how sophisticated she wants to get. If it were me, I'd be looking for a viewfinder rather than relying on the LCD. And I'd want an off-camera flash. That would lead me to either the Panasonic G2, GH2 (short cable to off-camera flash) or one of the Oly m-4/3's with viewfinder and wired/wireless flash. The Lumix/Leica 45mm f/2.8 macro lens is lovely (though pricey). Smaller still is the Olympus XZ-1 which can take the viefinder and the wireless flash (although I haven't seen any reports on how that works).

Of course, she may wish to keep her "critic" status under wraps, and just look like a typical tourist-diner. In that case, there are numerous choices in compact cameras, but I'd still look for RAW file capability as a must (Panasonic LX5, Oly XZ-1, Canon S95, etc.)

clark666

I think that the canon s95 is probably the way that we will go. It is small and she can always get a more capable camera later.
Thank you to everyone

pollobarca

My Ricoh GX100 has always worked splendidly for this sort of picture.
Now I would buy the GX200!
Some examples

The GX100 or 200 is small enough , sturdy, and with care takes great pictures.

b rgds

paul

pollobarca

Yes, what is needed is a camera with proven macro capability. there are some cameras which also include a "food" setting for photographing plates of grub. I believe the E-p1
from Olympus has this. Best to check it out though. The E-PL1 does not but it still photographs food ok. Attached is one taken with the Olympus E-PL1.
The E-pl1 with the kit lens does closeups but no macro.