The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tilt adaptors

pellicle

Hi

my tilt adaptor arrived from Italy (http://www.adrianololli.com/) so I thought I'd post a first image taken with it, and a few quick thoughts:

taken with my OM 50mm at f1.8

P1000738 by aquinas_56, on Flickr

So DoF extension by tilt is about as good as I used to get on my TS-E 90 (no surprises there).

Handling is another story: I'm not sure if I need to get used to it, but I feel that I needed a third arm and hand. The location of the lever to lock down the lens is perhaps in the worst place it could possibly be in. Its over on the opposite side of the camera from the grip/shutter release. So without a tripod you need one hand to hold the camera, one to focus and adjust the lens and another to lock it down.

Things only get a wee bit better on a tripod.

The action of the system is rather like back tilt on a 4x5 but all over the shop because you're holding the front and can't tilt the back. In essence you need a little experience to predict things and a bit of time for going back and forward in making iterative adjustments.

So nearly as slow as my Toho but not as convenient as my TS-E, but a mere fraction of the cost.

Back in 2009 when I first blogged about this concept, I thought that a system which controlled tilt in the same manner as the TS-E system did would be better

this would enable the lens to tilt in the manner of front tilt and be easier to handle.

After using this system I still think I was right.
more later

Diane B

The Lensbaby lock may be easier. Adjusting, focusing the lens with my left hand the ring falls under my hand fairly easily. It rotates to lock, unlock and I can do that with fourth finger and drop the thumb back of same hand holding, adjusting lens.

pellicle

Hi

The Lensbaby lock may be easier. ... I can do that with fourth finger and drop the thumb back of same hand holding, adjusting lens.
interesting, how smooth is the movement of the ball & socket? Can you lightly tension it to allow some movement but not have it loose and floppy? The ball socket on this one 'grinds' somewhat if not entirely loose. I am thinking of trying some small application of a dense grease (as there was on my TS-E lenses).

thanks