The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pretty clear G3 or whatever is coming...

m3photo

Re: Sony A55

I bought a Sony A55 to check out the feeling and the EVF.
Jonas, how does it compare to the G1 with regard to the images it produces? Better high ISO? The critics seem to agree on the heavy smearing in the noise reduction, did you see the same?
Thanks in advance.:)

m3photo

Calling Terry ...

Hi Terry, before selling your X100 did you by any chance test it against the G1+20mm? :eek:

bennettk

I have been looking at getting a second m4/3 body to go with my GF1. (For some reason my wife won't let me swipe her G1...)

So, it looks like the GH1 and the G2 are about the same price at Adorama right now, with various combinations of lenses. I'd love to pick up the 7-14 or the 14-140 and one of those cameras.

Can somebody suggest reasons why I would pick one over the other? I don't really need video. Also, I'm not that interested in touch screens and the like. Main use is street and travel photography.

Thanks!

Diane B

Off the top of my head if you are choosing between these two I'd likely go with the GH1. It has the bit larger sensor that allows for lossless resolution regardless of aspect (4:3, 3:2, 16:9). Also supposedly has a bit better sensor than the G1--and I believe the G2 has the G1 sensor. It doesn't have the touch screen but, AFAIK, has all and more options of the G2.

Terry

Re: Calling Terry ...

Hi Terry, before selling your X100 did you by any chance test it against the G1+20mm? :eek:
I still have my X100 - I sold the second copy that I got. Really like the X100.
I don't have a G1 to test against but can tell you for sure the files are better and after you get past ISO 400 it gets to be a bigger and bigger difference.

Jonas

Re: Sony A55

Jonas, how does it compare to the G1 with regard to the images it produces? Better high ISO? The critics seem to agree on the heavy smearing in the noise reduction, did you see the same?
Thanks in advance.:)
Hi,

The A55 is definitely better than the G1 at high ISO, as expected. I shoot raw only so I don't know about the noise reduction compared to other cameras.

What 's more important to me than the lower noise is that the images could take more abuse from processing than the G1 images. Transitions between overloaded pixels and the surrounding area was nicer. 0.8 stops of more DOF control (not much but welcomed anyway).

Everything else was worse or maybe on par with the Panasonic Gx. The Sony EVF was good enough for me, maybe not as good (more tearing) as Panasonic but close and a coming model will probably be better.
Some settings I was used to control using a knob or button were available via the menu only, the articulated screen felt much more fragile and "plastic" and when on tripod it was hard to open with the hinge at the bottom. The GPS was cool.

I use imperfectum as I managed to have the store taking the camera back. (I bought the camera and the Sony 35/1.8 Easy Choice lens. The PDAF was fast but never correct. The camera visited Sony twice in a short time and then I got my money back as Sony Sweden kept the lens. (The store offered me a Sigma 30/1.4 instead which wasn't an option for me.)

In the grand scheme some differences, some pros and cons, nothing making me rejecting a coming NEX-7 if they make it right for my hands.

regards,

/Jonas

greypilgrim

Well,
I started this thread more as an FYI, but it certainly has got me thinking about my forthcoming purchase. And those thoughts are echoed in various comments here.

For me, Having just shot in Yosemite for four days with my D200:

1) I really missed the swivel screen for odd angle and tripod shots.
2) Using the OVF on the D200 was not substantially better than the EVF on the G2.
3) Manual focus is significantly better on the G2 than on the D200 (no surprise there).
4) The weight was a significant difference maker in what I brought along.
5) Because of the above, I tend to experiment more with the G2.

So, pretty much the only thing that could sway me away from another m43 would be IQ and if the forthcoming G3 improves there, all the better.

My only concern is that they "improve" :( the G3 in such a way as to make it less enjoyable to use. The most likely cause of that would be taking away control from the photographer because they decide they need to focus on the neophyte or because they fall in love with the touch screen approach (which is worthless when you are using the EVF).

Oh well, time will tell...

Doug

bennettk

Off the top of my head if you are choosing between these two I'd likely go with the GH1. It has the bit larger sensor that allows for lossless resolution regardless of aspect (4:3, 3:2, 16:9). Also supposedly has a bit better sensor than the G1--and I believe the G2 has the G1 sensor. It doesn't have the touch screen but, AFAIK, has all and more options of the G2.
Thanks, Diane, I appreciate the info.

Diane B

Michael, the fairly strong rumor is it will be announced Wed or Thurs (or did I say that earlier LOL). We know it will be awhile, most likely, until it starts shipping but if it is what I want I'll wait.

pellicle

Thanks, Diane, I appreciate the info.
you may (if you have not seen it already) find this useful too
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2011/03/gh1-formats-and-raw-pixels.html

from that:
It has been documented elsewhere that if you use RAW and a raw converter which does not attempt to apply lens aberration corrections that you can get the following sizes from the sensor:

4016 x 3016 Pixels (12.11 MPixels) (4:3)
4368 x 2464 Pixels (10.76 MPixels) (16:9)

This is the difference you'll get

pellicle

Re: Calling Terry ...

I still have my X100 - I sold the second copy that I got. Really like the X100.
I don't have a G1 to test against but can tell you for sure the files are better and after you get past ISO 400 it gets to be a bigger and bigger difference.
in favor of which?

RichA

All of a sudden, Adorama has major discounts on the G2 in the form of instant rebates, and the Panasonic Online Store has the G2 as unavailable all of a sudden.

Guess it will be interesting. My G2 has been purloined by my wife, so I am going to be in the market again soon.

I've been debating on the really cheap GH1 available these days... Or perhaps the GH2.

Doug
The G2 is not a strong seller. I think it's being discounted to move stock, nothing more.