The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pretty clear G3 or whatever is coming...

greypilgrim

All of a sudden, Adorama has major discounts on the G2 in the form of instant rebates, and the Panasonic Online Store has the G2 as unavailable all of a sudden.

Guess it will be interesting. My G2 has been purloined by my wife, so I am going to be in the market again soon.

I've been debating on the really cheap GH1 available these days... Or perhaps the GH2.

Doug

greypilgrim

Diane,
Yeah, I was thinking that the GH1 for cheap or the GH2 was the way to go, but if there is enough goodness in the G3, that would be my preference as videos are not my thing.

I really hadn't paid much attention to the rumors until I found myself in the market sooner than I expected due to my wife's "adoption" of my G2 on our recent trip to Yosemite :).

Should be interesting to see what they come out with.

Doug

pellicle

but if the sensor is substantially improved along with the better EVF on the G3 that's a strong possibility.
given how good the EVF is on the G[H]1/2 I would be surprised to see anything significant.

The G1 is a great camera, I suspect we'll not see much significantly better than it. I'm happy to be wrong, but at the same time I think the G1 represents the most amazing amount of camera / dollar I've seen since digital started (especially used with people dumping G1 to get G2 and whatnot)

greypilgrim

given how good the EVF is on the G[H]1/2 I would be surprised to see anything significant.

The G1 is a great camera, I suspect we'll not see much significantly better than it. I'm happy to be wrong, but at the same time I think the G1 represents the most amazing amount of camera / dollar I've seen since digital started (especially used with people dumping G1 to get G2 and whatnot)
My G1 is a happy infrared camera these days :).

I must admit being able to get the GH1 for so cheap is very intriguing given that it is supposed to have better low light perf than the G2 sensor.

I am more than a little worried that Panasonic will dumb down the G3 somehow and make it less photographer friendly.

Doug

Diane B

Yes, I understood the EVF was really good (and better than the G1s) on the GH2 which is one of the reaons why its been my first choice (a bit better sensor, low light shooting but video is not muh of a priority at all). I just feel I need to see what the G3 offers. Maybe, since the GH2 isn't easily come by, I'll end up waiting even longer and live with my G1 and GF1 longer than I planned. I always have my 5D still even though I've decided not to upgrade it.
I agree about the G1 though. Still using it and enjoy shooting with it.

f6cvalkyrie

+/- the same here, have a G1 for over two years now, I'm very happy with it.

And the G3 ? Well, I'm looking forward to it, but it must be a substantial increase in quality before I will switch. Since I'm not interested in video, ... I can only dream of a better sensor, a better viewfinder, better external connections (tethered shooting), better ergonomics, ....

But, I dream ....

C U,
Rafael

m3photo

Yes Rafael, I agree and so do many here I think. Just a G1 with grainless ISO 3200 would be ideal. Oh, and a one button push for manual focus please Panasonic!
It's funny how the first thing I grab is the G1 and the D700 stays at home so much ...

pellicle

, better ergonomics, ....
an interesting point, what would you change? Where would the room be on the camera to change it? Would you swap out one aspect in favor of another?

As an aside I can say there are a few minor points about the GH1 which niggle me, while nothing much niggled me about the G1 at all. I am actually seriously considering selling the GH1 to go back to a G1 (which I regret selling, but didn't see the sence in keeping both)

Diane B

Re: G1 vs X100

By the way Diane, before selling your X100 did you by any chance test it against the G1+20mm?
'Twasn't me that had X100 LOL. Terry had 2 of them, her Japanese purchase and the just delivered US version which she's sold. Maybe her?????

Diane B

For me the G1 ergonomics are about right except the one button push for MF lenses. Otherwise, the better sensor, better low light shooting and the better EVF are the reasons for considering an upgrade.

I can't believe I still have my 5D after 5 years (or longer???). When I started with digital DSLR with the D30 and D60 (Canon), with the Oly E10 and Canon G1 sneaking in there, I upgraded consistently until I bought the FF. In the last several years as I stopped shooting commercially I was looking for an acceptable small alternative, from a Rebel to G9 and finally trying the MFT. That seems to be a fit for me right now. I seem to have more patience for an upgrade so we'll see what the G3 brings and if I, in the end, decide to wait for the next generation.

Diane

Jonas

I'm looking forward to read about the G3. The G1 serves me well, since November 2008 now, but I would like to see some improvements:
Better ergonomics (one push button for enlarged view, no pushable control wheel at the front of the camera, a video record button not possible to press by accident, two control wheels, touch control) and if possible lower noise at base ISO - that's what I need to upgrade from my G1.

I'm waiting for specifications and some hands-on reports and will then buy either the NEX-7 or the G3. Somehow I suspect none of these cameras will have two control dials. That's a shame - I would assign one of them to ISO setting and the other one to exposure compensation (and use the camera in A mode with legacy lenses).

If NEX-7 offers something missing with the G3, or is on par with the G3 in every aspect except for the sensor I'll switch from Panasonic to Sony.

/Jonas

Diane B

Jonas, would you miss the EVF? I've shot with a VF for many years and would have trouble giving it up. Light in the southeast US is VERY bright for 3/4 of the year and maybe more so its an issue (and I'm not always able to shoot early morning or late afternoon) plus I'm just used to shooting with a VF. i do use the tilt LCD when on tripod or shooting odd angles.

f6cvalkyrie

an interesting point, what would you change? Where would the room be on the camera to change it? Would you swap out one aspect in favor of another?
I would definitely be in favor of the one-touch MF magnifier that so many owner seem to need. They can have LCD/LVF button for that, AFAIC, but there is plenty of space left next to the Display or the Dustbin buttons.

C U
Rafael

Diane B

On the GF1 the back dial is pushed for the one button MF magification. Is it the same for the GH's and I guess the G2 and G10? I like it well enough but since I have both the G1 and GF1 I sort of forget it on the GF1 and still roll my thumb from one button to the next. Still, if my main body had the one button I'd get used to it quickly LOL.

Jonas

Jonas, would you miss the EVF? I've shot with a VF for many years and would have trouble giving it up. Light in the southeast US is VERY bright for 3/4 of the year and maybe more so its an issue (and I'm not always able to shoot early morning or late afternoon) plus I'm just used to shooting with a VF. i do use the tilt LCD when on tripod or shooting odd angles.
Hi Diane,

I would have owned and used a NEX-5 now if it had been a decently equipped with a hot shoe, an EVF and a few more buttons. I can't imagine using a camera without a good eye-level viewfinder and preferably an electronic one.

Rumours say a higher specified NEX (NEX-7) will be announced some time this summer, maybe looking a little like the Konica Minolta A2 including all I things I miss on the NEX cameras of today.

I bought a Sony A55 to check out the feeling and the EVF. For me the viewfinder worked as well as the G1 one also if technically really not par yet. So the rumours about a 3MP EVF in the NEX-7 suits me fine.

Now rumours are rumours. We know pretty much what we have, and can expect from Panasonic. The reason for me to look at the NEX at all is the problem Panasonic and Olympus have with border and corner smearing with some old lenses, the harsh transitions from blown out highlights to darker parts around those and also the one small step up from the 2x crop sensor to the APS-C sized sensor. (I would for example very much rather use the CV35/1.2 for a fast normal than the CV25/0.95 offered for µ4/3, or I can stick to my SMC-P FA31/1.8 which is an excellent but slower lens).

babbling stops, regards,

Jonas

Diane B

Thanks for that info. I hadn't kept up with the rumors about specs for the NEX. I guess I'm not in as much a hurry to upgrade as I thought I was so can afford to sit and wait for some more developments this year. The Japanese disaster has probably slowed them all down a bit (I just read in maybe the New York Times that DSLRs generally are hard to find in US and getting harder) so patience might reward me this time LOL.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I must say that I would only go for the G3 if it has a GH2 kind of sensor. Which I really hope!

Jonas

With a G1 there is no need to hurry with anything.
It's impressing; the G1 is now over 2.5 years old, and for being the first model out of a new system it has been fantastic and unusually mature from start.