The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

davemillier

I feel your pain over these buying decisions.

I have been playing with a GH2 today (purchased one on behalf of my office for event videoing at work and snuck it home for "familarisation").

When I opened the box it seemed very small and made my E410 (in a leather half case) seem bulky. But I found it a bit awkward to get a comfortable grip on, so I fitted it with the half case from my 450D. Not only does this fit quite well, the tripod screw holes match up perfectly. I put these cases on because I find they make for a thicker, grippier and much more comfortable grip than any amount of rubber or curves that the camera has. With the 450D case attached the GH2's handling was transformed. But...

... it is no longer smaller than the E410 whose handling (with its case) is better again. Indeed, my GF1 with its half case is also more comfortable as well as smaller and lighter. Just a shame about the difference in EVFs.

I've not any plans to get a Gh2 for myself but G1 bodies are popping up on ebay now at rock bottom prices like some kind of rash. But the case-on comparisons have put me right off the grown up Pannys! Maybe, stick with the E410 for walk around and the GF1 for lightweight tripod use (the flip up EVF is handy for this).

Thanks, that's what I meant LOL. i notice that I deleted one word when I edited the post.

I dislike where the switch button is on the aux. EVF for the GF1. Very awkward. The switch button on the G1 is about the same place on the G3 as the G1--to the left of the EVF. Works pretty well.

Tim

I have a GF1 with 14-45 and 20mm lenses.

I am considering adding a G3 but as the G3 body only (B&H) is $600 and G3 with 14-42 is $700 it seems best to buy with the lens then put the lens on the getDPI market.

So the inevitable questions -
Is the 14-42 worth more than $100?
Will the market get flooded with 14-42's?
Is there something I am missing here, I was wondering if the 14-42 was somehow optimized for focusing while using video but I'm not too concerned about the video aspect.

Thoughts? :watch: