Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 42 of 42

Thread: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

  1. #1
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-g3-leaked/

    "The new Panasonic G3 is going to be announced tomorrow (May 12) at 8:00 am London time. And here is the first picture! The new G3 is 25% smaller than the current Panasonic G2 (Click here to see that camera). It features a new 15.8 Megapixel sensor but unlike the GH2 sensor it is not a multiaspect sensor. It records in FullHD, has the same ultra fast autofocus of the GH2 and goes up to 6400 ISO. It takes pictures at 4 fps (frame per second) and has a 3 inch articulating LCD. The G3 is a much more touch oriented camera than the G2. The left dial is gone, the Q-button moved on the trash button (just an example on how Panasonic tried to remove as much button as possible). The G3 will be priced at $649 with kit lens. One of the biggest changes is the design. It has a bit of Samsung NX10 touch what do you think? It has the “G” mark only and not “G3″…interesting."
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:26.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I'm disappointed but sort of not surprised. I've held off ordering the GH2 hoping the G3 would be more an upgrade from my G1 but after the G2 it appeared that the GH2 was aimed more at "serious" shooters and the G aimed at those that want smaller at the expense of some options. Probably nothing wrong with their marketing strategy but personally not what I want. I'll still wait until tomorrow to commit to the GH2 but its sort of a done deal in my head LOL.

    Diane

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I'm disappointed but sort of not surprised. I've held off ordering the GH2 hoping the G3 would be more an upgrade from my G1 but after the G2 it appeared that the GH2 was aimed more at "serious" shooters and the G aimed at those that want smaller at the expense of some options. Probably nothing wrong with their marketing strategy but personally not what I want. I'll still wait until tomorrow to commit to the GH2 but its sort of a done deal in my head LOL.

    Diane
    Diane,
    So are you thinking that the removal of those external controls is an indication of a general "dumbing down" of the design?

    I'm really hoping not.

    Doug

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I'm really more unhappy with the 25% smaller than the G2 which is already smaller than the G1. I'm happy with the G1 size both for ergonomics and for balance with lenses. I don't mind the loss of the left top dial and am not sure how I'd like the touch screen but others do so I expect I would adapt. I do think they are pushing for "small" and wonder what may be jettisoned for that. I understand still a tilt LCD and EVF is as large and somewhat better. Guess it will depend upon if the sensor is as good as GH2 but I don't really want this body to be GF1 size which doesn't buy me anything really and means ergonomics won't be as good IMO (and I already own the GF1). Guess we'll see tomorrow.

    Diane

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Diane,
    So are you thinking that the removal of those external controls is an indication of a general "dumbing down" of the design?

    I'm really hoping not.

    Doug
    Just the fact that one has to look at a menu to change a setting is a disadvantage. Although the GH1/2 etc. aren't perfect in that respect, I can change most settings on mine blindfolded. I don't think I would try that on a touch screen

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    And I am perfectly happy with the G1, ergonomically. If this apparent trend continues, I will buy a GH2 myself. I have held off because the G1 is so good, and because I do not need video (I have pro video and sound gear that is much easier to use).

  7. #7
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    ... It takes pictures at 4 fps (frame per second) and has a 3 inch articulating LCD.
    seems positive ... can be handy on occasion (though 5 would of course be better and is almost too slow when trying to double tap action)

  8. #8
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    And I am perfectly happy with the G1,
    I fully understand that ... almost more so after getting the GH-1

  9. #9
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Just the fact that one has to look at a menu to change a setting is a disadvantage. .. I can change most settings on mine blindfolded. I don't think I would try that on a touch screen
    this is an interesting point, and one which is spilling into other areas (or has spilled into this are from others?). The more technology is "consumerised" the dumber it gets because it chases a user group who have no idea how to use stuff and are unwilling to invest time in learning to do so.

    Phones are a similar example, I can type faster with one hand (and faster again with two thumbs) on my T-9 Nokia keypad than I can on an Android or iPhone. Only when loading a numeric T-9 on an Android and (while looking at it) use both thumbs do I approach the speed and accuracy.

    Back when I first got my Pentax MX I loved that I could see shutter speed, aperture and exposure information in a simple way in one location. Now my viewfinder is cluttered and I have to figure out what to focus on amid the distraction.

    Still the G1 viewfinder is good ... and the locations are acceptable. But AF to MF switch needs looking at (unlike my EOS) and the plethora of buttons is ... well a whole bunch. I still like the ergonomics of the EOS 1 series of cameras for menu and function changes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...


  11. #11
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...






  12. #12
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Changed my mind. Now I want one

    For me, this is not an alternative to the GH2 but to the GF1/2. I didn't buy any of those because they lack a built in VF, and I don't want to deal with an external one. The G3 looks almost as small as the GF1, but has viewfinder, stereo mics, articulated LCD etc. very good

  13. #13
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Preview - touch display, no external mic, no eye sensor

    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/




  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Looks good; but I wonder if some of the larger adapters for legacy lenses (e.g. for the Contax G) are going to fit under that overhang....

  15. #15
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: G3 ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    And I am perfectly happy with the G1, ergonomically. I have held off because the G1 is so good, and because I do not need video.
    So am I. Except for one thing ...

    Have you seen the 3200ISO examples from the G3 on dpreview?

    This one with the 20mm, hmm, yummy ...

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: G3 ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by m3photo View Post
    So am I. Except for one thing ...

    Have you seen the 3200ISO examples from the G3 on dpreview?

    This one with the 20mm, hmm, yummy ...
    I think "Pocket Rocket" is the correct photographic term

  17. #17
    Senior Member pellicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Southport, Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    spunnnnkkey

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Imaging resource does printing tests and here it seems to fare really well.....

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCG3/DMCG3A.HTM

    ISO 160 shots look excellent at 20x30 inches, with good color and excellent detail. One issue does emerge at this ISO, though, captured in our INB indoor incandescent shot, where our model's red hair shows some demosaicing errors, which appear as blue/gray artifacts, and don't become negligible until the image is printed at 11x14 inches. Processing RAW images on a computer does not exhibit the error, by the way.

    ISO 200 shots are also excellent at 20x30, with excellent color and detail. The demosaicing error is still present, but less noticeable.

    ISO 400 shots, too, look surprisingly good at 20x30 inches. There's the slightest softening, but you have to get close and squint to see it. The demosaicing error is eliminated by the noise suppression system.

    ISO 800 shots finally start to show a little more softening, but we'd still call it very good at 20x30 inches. There is some very slight luminance noise in the shadows, but very little. All of this returns to impressive crispness when printed at 16x20 inches.

    ISO 1,600 images print well at 16x20, though low-contrast detail in reds has begun to disappear more noticeably. This is very common, though, and high-contrast detail looks great, and there's very minor noise in the shadows.

    ISO 3,200 images are quite usable at 16x20 inches, but fine detail looks a little better printed at 13x19 inches. Luminance noise in the shadows continues to increase, but it's not bad at all. Color also dims more noticeably at this setting, with a slight green cast coming into yellows, but not nearly as bad as it has on past Panasonic cameras, including the GH2.

    ISO 6,400 shots seem a little blotchy when printed at 13x19 inches, though in terms of fine detail we'd still call them usable. That green shift in the yellows continues, but is still better controlled than any previous high-end Panasonic camera. Reducing print size to 11x14 minimizes the blotchiness quite well, and that's where we'll call it.

    Overall, the Panasonic G3's JPEG images print amazingly well, rivaling the Canon 60D's images, and challenging any concern that Micro Four Thirds sensors would continue to lag in image quality behind their APS-C competition. While upcoming SLRs may do better, it's clear that Panasonic has met the challenge in the meantime. Very impressive!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I'm about to eat my words saying this likely wouldn't interest me after reading several hands on previews. Red???? LOL

  20. #20
    Senior Member bradhusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    2,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    53

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Changed my mind. Now I want one

    For me, this is not an alternative to the GH2 but to the GF1/2. I didn't buy any of those because they lack a built in VF, and I don't want to deal with an external one. The G3 looks almost as small as the GF1, but has viewfinder, stereo mics, articulated LCD etc. very good
    I too see this as an alternative to the GF1/GF2, this time with a good EVF. I'd like to see a photo of the G3 with the 20mm pancake lens.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I have seen the images at IR. Now I think all this tells us is a) that Panasonic improved their JPG engine and b) the sensor can't be bad (measured with a Panny ruler).

    Is there a raw converter available being able to handle the raw files?

    And yes, my G1 cameras are blue. Is it time for a red G? Is raw base ISO noise lower?? Are... ???

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    First my rant ,
    How many iterations, and they still have not improved the autobracketing +/- 2/3 max still

    And yes to the previous comments, this really seems like a GF-2 done right with viewfinder and swivel screen. Throw in better IQ, and I think it deserves consideration.

    My concerns remain:

    Ergonomics. How will it feel in the hand with various lenses, etc? On the flip side, how pocketable will it be with the 20mm?

    Setting to manual focus easily. This is something I do often. If I have to fiddle with the touchscreen to do it now, this is a definite drawback.

    Setting it to timer. Again, this is something I use reasonably often when on tripod or bean bag. If it is now cumbersome to get at...

    Oh, and the reduced battery life. These were already 2 battery cameras. How much worse will it be?

    As Dianne said, more intriguing than I thought...

    Doug

  23. #23
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    >and they still have not improved the autobracketing +/- 2/3 max still

    And the GH2 has 1EV max and that is decent combined with 7 shots.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    At first sight I got worried seeing the DOF button is gone. I take that as a sign the camera is dumbed down and mainly thought as a model for P&S users upgrading to a bigger sensor.

    Then I thought it should be possible to assign one of the Fn buttons to this, or to manual focusing, or to whatever while the other Fn button can be set to 2 second timer or something else one prefers. I also notice two custom mode positions on the top control dial. Maybe it will be enough?

    Maybe the WhiBal button can be re-assigned? (I have mine on Fine Weather all the time, there is always hope for some magic.) I think I need to wait for the User Manual before judging the new button layout too hard. But I do miss the exposure lock button... and...

  25. #25
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I'm about to eat my words saying this likely wouldn't interest me after reading several hands on previews. Red???? LOL
    With RED cameras you can make best photos ...


  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    At first sight I got worried seeing the DOF button is gone. I take that as a sign the camera is dumbed down and mainly thought as a model for P&S users upgrading to a bigger sensor.

    Then I thought it should be possible to assign one of the Fn buttons to this, or to manual focusing, or to whatever while the other Fn button can be set to 2 second timer or something else one prefers. I also notice two custom mode positions on the top control dial. Maybe it will be enough?

    Maybe the WhiBal button can be re-assigned? (I have mine on Fine Weather all the time, there is always hope for some magic.) I think I need to wait for the User Manual before judging the new button layout too hard. But I do miss the exposure lock button... and...
    You can use the fn1/display to reassign for I think 15 functions plus there are 2 custom buttons (with the second custom having 3 subs if I understand it) so I think we are fine. I use the AE lock on almost every shot so actually it sits under my hand better on the fn 1 button than above.

    I read specs and several hands on previews fairly carefully and I'm going to buy it. There are some RAW images to DL if I recall what I read but I don't think there is a processor AFIK so not sure what that would do, but the jpegs are certainly encouraging so I'm ready to try it.

  27. #27
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I too see this as an alternative to the GF1/GF2, this time with a good EVF. I'd like to see a photo of the G3 with the 20mm pancake lens.
    Indeed! I want to see how small this camera can really be! There's a nice size comparison here, but mostly w/o lenses:

    http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...nic_g3_rivals/

    As a GF1 user, I didn't think I'd be interested in the G3, but the combination of features seems quite nice. A good video review here:

    http://www.photoradar.com/reviews/bu...3-video-review

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >and they still have not improved the autobracketing +/- 2/3 max still

    And the GH2 has 1EV max and that is decent combined with 7 shots.
    Actually not for the way I prefer to shoot. +/- 2 EV bracketed 3 shots; quite often I drop the middle one out of an HDR anyway. Shooting 7 shots to get two or three that I need gets problematic especially when the buffer is full and the last shot comes in much slower.

    And yes, I have shot 7 shot brackets; it just is silly when this would be such a trivial fix.

    Doug

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    You can use the fn1/display to reassign for I think 15 functions plus there are 2 custom buttons (with the second custom having 3 subs if I understand it) so I think we are fine. I use the AE lock on almost every shot so actually it sits under my hand better on the fn 1 button than above.

    I read specs and several hands on previews fairly carefully and I'm going to buy it. There are some RAW images to DL if I recall what I read but I don't think there is a processor AFIK so not sure what that would do, but the jpegs are certainly encouraging so I'm ready to try it.
    Hopefully the reassigning will work with the multiple custom settings on the top dial. Worrisome that it might become an overload of trying to do too many things on those function buttons.

    I have to go back and look at how I use the display button. I know I use it in playback quite a bit.

    Doug

  30. #30
    Member bcf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    One thing I would like to know is: when a hot is taken, does a review image appear in the EVF, or can I continue to look at the scene in the EVF without interruption?

    How in this in the G3, and how does it work in the G2, GH1, GH2, EPL-2?
    -- Bernard

  31. #31
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by greypilgrim View Post
    Actually not for the way I prefer to shoot. +/- 2 EV bracketed 3 shots; quite often I drop the middle one out of an HDR anyway. Shooting 7 shots to get two or three that I need gets problematic especially when the buffer is full and the last shot comes in much slower.

    And yes, I have shot 7 shot brackets; it just is silly when this would be such a trivial fix.

    Doug
    I agree it is a limitation. I just mean that I get away with the 7 shot at 1EV. 2/3EV is too limiting.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  32. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by bcf View Post
    One thing I would like to know is: when a hot is taken, does a review image appear in the EVF, or can I continue to look at the scene in the EVF without interruption?

    How in this in the G3, and how does it work in the G2, GH1, GH2, EPL-2?
    Hi

    With my GF1, when I attach the EVF, I have the review feature tuned off so I have an uninterrupted view.

    For my purposes, the main reason to review an image is to check the histogram. But given that I have a live histogram while I shoot, I have found this largely redundant except in the case of shots where the light is challenging. I simply don't need the auto-review.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Bernard, in the G1 and GF1 which I have, show an immediate review and I see it in the EVF on both. i can set the time for the auto preview in the menus. For the GF1 you have to choose EVF or LCD since there is no eye sensor. Yes and as above, you can t on or off. i agree with him about immediate review. If I need to check an image, I go to review.

  34. #34
    Member bcf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Thanks, Pelao.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Bernard, in the G1 and GF1 which I have, show an immediate review and I see it in the EVF on both. i can set the time for the auto preview in the menus. For the GF1 you have to choose EVF or LCD since there is no eye sensor. Yes and as above, you can t on or off. i agree with him about immediate review. If I need to check an image, I go to review.
    Diane, I'm not sure I understand... Do you mean that for the G1, if you set the review on, you have it obligatorily in both the LCD and EVF, whereas in the GF1 you can choose?
    -- Bernard

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    On the G1 when you move the camera away from your eye the LCD becomes active. On the GF1 with the EVF this doesn't happen you must push a button.

    On the G3 you will also have to press a button but it is in a better, more intuitive, and easier to reach location than the one on the GF1.

  36. #36
    Member bcf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Thanks Terry. I guess that means that there would be no way on the G3 to automatically display a review image on the LCD (as on a DSLR), while continuing to see the scene in the EVF. I agree that the review image may be less important, since I can have a continuous histogram in the EVF.

    For information, is this possible on any of the m43 cameras (showing a review image on the LCD while continuing to see the scene in the EVF)?
    -- Bernard

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    On the G1 when you move the camera away from your eye the LCD becomes active. On the GF1 with the EVF this doesn't happen you must push a button.

    On the G3 you will also have to press a button but it is in a better, more intuitive, and easier to reach location than the one on the GF1.
    Thanks, that's what I meant LOL. i notice that I deleted one word when I edited the post.

    I dislike where the switch button is on the aux. EVF for the GF1. Very awkward. The switch button on the G1 is about the same place on the G3 as the G1--to the left of the EVF. Works pretty well.

  38. #38
    curious80
    Guest

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I like the more compact G3. With the G1 I was unable to fit the G1+20mm combo in a bag which was small enough to be "carry everywhere". The G3 might improve on that. However I am somewhat disappointed that the EVF still sticks quite a lot from the body. The larger grip on G1 was not the issue as it did not extend past the lens, so the main limitation came due to the EVF making the body much thicker than it really is. Still the overall thickness seems less and it might make a small enough package after-all.

  39. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    Diane

    The switch on the GF1 EVF is much better placed than some might think. You are supposed to operate it with your right hand (just move your finger off the shutter release or use a different finger). It all makes perfectly good sense this way, unlike the Oly EVF.



    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

    I dislike where the switch button is on the aux. EVF for the GF1. Very awkward. The switch button on the G1 is about the same place on the G3 as the G1--to the left of the EVF. Works pretty well.

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I've just never cared for it and have had it since the GF1 came out. With longer fingers it probably works okay but i have to move my entire hand upward and to the left to reach it LOL. Somehow I don't think women's hands were taken into consideration even though smaller Japanese women love the GF1 but I bet they almost all use it without EVF. My hands are not particularly small.

  41. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I feel your pain over these buying decisions.

    I have been playing with a GH2 today (purchased one on behalf of my office for event videoing at work and snuck it home for "familarisation").

    When I opened the box it seemed very small and made my E410 (in a leather half case) seem bulky. But I found it a bit awkward to get a comfortable grip on, so I fitted it with the half case from my 450D. Not only does this fit quite well, the tripod screw holes match up perfectly. I put these cases on because I find they make for a thicker, grippier and much more comfortable grip than any amount of rubber or curves that the camera has. With the 450D case attached the GH2's handling was transformed. But...

    ... it is no longer smaller than the E410 whose handling (with its case) is better again. Indeed, my GF1 with its half case is also more comfortable as well as smaller and lighter. Just a shame about the difference in EVFs.

    I've not any plans to get a Gh2 for myself but G1 bodies are popping up on ebay now at rock bottom prices like some kind of rash. But the case-on comparisons have put me right off the grown up Pannys! Maybe, stick with the E410 for walk around and the GF1 for lightweight tripod use (the flip up EVF is handy for this).


    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Thanks, that's what I meant LOL. i notice that I deleted one word when I edited the post.

    I dislike where the switch button is on the aux. EVF for the GF1. Very awkward. The switch button on the G1 is about the same place on the G3 as the G1--to the left of the EVF. Works pretty well.

  42. #42
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: G3 rumored to be announced May 12...

    I have a GF1 with 14-45 and 20mm lenses.

    I am considering adding a G3 but as the G3 body only (B&H) is $600 and G3 with 14-42 is $700 it seems best to buy with the lens then put the lens on the getDPI market.

    So the inevitable questions -
    Is the 14-42 worth more than $100?
    Will the market get flooded with 14-42's?
    Is there something I am missing here, I was wondering if the 14-42 was somehow optimized for focusing while using video but I'm not too concerned about the video aspect.

    Thoughts?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •