The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G3 official

Godfrey

interesting direction they're going with the Lumix G series. Not really to my taste, though ... I didn't like the G2's touch screen interface much. I prefer a different balance of discrete controls. And the loss of the grip, while it slims the camera, does not appeal to me at all.

Ah well, I'm happy with the direction I've gone. :)

greypilgrim

interesting direction they're going with the Lumix G series. Not really to my taste, though ... I didn't like the G2's touch screen interface much. I prefer a different balance of discrete controls. And the loss of the grip, while it slims the camera, does not appeal to me at all.

Ah well, I'm happy with the direction I've gone. :)
Sorry if I have missed that. What direction have you gone?

Just curious,

Doug

biglouis

I've been trying to work out if this makes any difference to GH-2 owners. It seems not, or have I missed something?

To my mind the more interesting news is this quote from m43rds rumours which suggests that the 24/1.4 will be Leica branded. I am such a snob - I'd definitely buy it, if it is.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
From what I can judge (without actually trying the G3 myself) it is significantly smaller than the GH2 and not so complicated (less functions, more straight forward) but at least with the same IQ if not better.

For me VERY appealing, as I am still looking for a smaller camera for everyday's use. And in combination with some fast M43 prime it must be a bummer!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've been trying to work out if this makes any difference to GH-2 owners. It seems not, or have I missed something?

LouisB
For this potential GH2 owner, it will make a difference. I have the GH1, but need at least one more m4/3 body. The GH2 would be the obvious choice, but I would prefer one with a more solid build and preferably a vertical grip option. I also need a smaller "take everywhere" camera, and have been considering the GF1/2 and E-PL2, but none of those have a built in VF (I don't want the extra cost and hassle of a plastic thing to put on top of the camera, something that I will probably knock to pieces within the first few months).

The G3 seems to be the answer to these questions. Buying that, I can wait for the GH3, E-PL3 or whatever may drop down from the blue sky (Fuji S7m?... I still haven't given up hope), hoping that one of those will have the functionality that I want.

m3photo

Re: G3 vs GF's

I also need a smaller "take everywhere" camera, and have been considering the GF1/2 and E-PL2, but none of those have a built in VF (I don't want the extra cost and hassle of a plastic thing to put on top of the camera, something that I will probably knock to pieces within the first few months).
This was my fear when I started "wanting/needing" the then new GF1 - glad I waited.

m3photo

Linguistic Quirk

And in combination with some fast M43 prime it must be a bummer!
Please excuse me for the correction but as English is such a strange language one can understand when things go slightly off course, of course.

"Bummer" is exclaimed when something hasn't quite turned out as expected. "Cracker" would perhaps fit in better with the sense of your sentence.

We now resume normal programming ...

biglouis

For this potential GH2 owner, it will make a difference. I have the GH1, but need at least one more m4/3 body. The GH2 would be the obvious choice, but I would prefer one with a more solid build and preferably a vertical grip option. I also need a smaller "take everywhere" camera, and have been considering the GF1/2 and E-PL2, but none of those have a built in VF (I don't want the extra cost and hassle of a plastic thing to put on top of the camera, something that I will probably knock to pieces within the first few months).

The G3 seems to be the answer to these questions. Buying that, I can wait for the GH3, E-PL3 or whatever may drop down from the blue sky (Fuji S7m?... I still haven't given up hope), hoping that one of those will have the functionality that I want.
I bought the GH-2 because I wanted an improvement on the IQ of the GF-1, especially for use with the 100-300 when I am taking bird pictures. I do like the styling of the G3. If the IQ results when tested stand up, perhaps a second body? I don't use the video capability of the GH-2 so, although a fantastic camera (imho) still IQ is far more important to me.

LouisB

Diane B

LouisB, IQ is highest priority for me also. I'm going to try the G3. I had about decided to order the GH2 but made myself wait until the G3 was announced. Glad I did but still wonder if it will be too small for MF and longer lenses for good handheld use. I don't shoot much with long lenses but all of you with your great 100-300 shots make me wonder if I should replace my 45-200 with it.

Pelao

LouisB, IQ is highest priority for me also. I'm going to try the G3. I had about decided to order the GH2 but made myself wait until the G3 was announced. Glad I did but still wonder if it will be too small for MF and longer lenses for good handheld use. I don't shoot much with long lenses but all of you with your great 100-300 shots make me wonder if I should replace my 45-200 with it.
I look forward to reading what you think of the G3.

I only have 2 pieces of legacy glass, a 40 and a 50. The way panasonic handles MF, especially for older lenses, really works for me. With my GF1 and EVF, being able to simply push the wheel button for extra magnification is easy and intuitive.

The downside has been the EVF. For me it's good, but not great, especially for MF. Since I am happy with the handling of the GF1 I assume the G3 will be fine as it's about the same size, and of course has the great EVF.

I don't have any long glass and did not try the camera with any. perhaps one thing to consider is how often you use each lens type. If a camera is great for the lenses you use the most, then that is a real plus. A camera that works well with all lenses (in terms of ergonomics) may mean compromises in other areas, such as size.

Jonas

LouisB, IQ is highest priority for me also. (...)
...and for me, but I don't dismiss "handling".

I bought the Sony A55V as I wanted to see how it worked. In some areas it feels pretty safe to say the Sony sensor was clearly better than my G1. (Then I run into some technical problems with a faulty PDAF system and in the end I simply got my money back.)

I haven't seen the issues I have with my G1 fixed in any current µ4/3 camera. For me it is interesting to see what we can get from the G3 and raw format files. Until then all I see is a somewhat smaller G camera lacking some direct controls and the nearly proper grip. Are there any signs at all telling us this camera may be better than the GH2 in some aspect with regards to IQ? Or is there something else I've missed?

I'll hold my horses for some more time. I'm very interested in finding out about the coming Olympus so called "pro spec" micro camera and also the next Sony NEX generation. I believe my old G1 will take me through the summer... As I had some money for all this I bought two new lenses instead, both of them possible to use with any of the systems.

regards,

/Jonas

Terry

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't really miss the buttons on the GF2. I also liked the GF2 touch interface better than the G2/GH2. The implementation of the quick menu where the options and order could be customized was much more to my liking. But in reality at the end of the day, I didn't need to even use the quick menu that much. Perhaps I'm different than many in that I don't make a lot of adjustments to all different modes very often. I think using the M8 for a couple of years in many ways simplified the way I shoot. I don't use a lot of different modes and try not to let a lot get in my way when shooting.

Jonas

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't really miss the buttons (,,,) I think using the M8 for a couple of years in many ways simplified the way I shoot. I don't use a lot of different modes and try not to let a lot get in my way when shooting.
I never used an M8 but I have used good old film cameras for many years. I get your point and made a short list of what settings I frequently change, what I want to have easy access to and what I seldom and then never use. (This can easily go off topic.)

I found that some of the settings I often change lost their direct control buttons or levers on the G3. Some of them, not all though, can be replaced by user controlled function buttons. The Sony A55 forced me to some menue digging I'm not used to from the Gx cameras and it got into my way.

Let's start another thread about important controls some day!

regards,

/Jonas

Diane B

Agree that another thread about important controls would be a good one, Jonas. The one biggie, though, for me is the AEL because as a longtime Canon shooter used the split AE and AF functions on 2 buttons and adapted that to MFT. I feel certain I can be okay with fn button for that. Ergonomics are second for me and my concern was too small size but after chasing that down a number of places with photos, seeing it in a woman presenter's hand on Youtube and hearing from a man with largish hands that tried it yesterday in Toronto and pronounced it quite nice I think that part will be okay.

I'm going on expectations for better IQ and if it doesn't live up to those I feel sure I can sell with little loss. I'm always an optimist LOL.

Diane

apicius9

I am grumbling a bit because I just bought the GH2 and the G3 seems to be close to perfect in terms of size and main features for me. I will wait for more info on IQ and will pay closer attention to the buttons I actually really use frequently on the GH2. That will help decide whether I will try one out or not. I hope that at least some of the features like the new magnification mode will be in a future firmware update for the GH2. Other than that, in the future I will always see what Diane does and follow her example ;)

Stefan