Site Sponsors

Thread: G1 focus assist only possible with kit lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

G1 focus assist only possible with kit lenses?

Not sure if 'focus assist' is the correct name but I'm referring to that extra viewfinder magnification you get for aiding your manual focusing. Since the viewfinder zooms in when you rotate the focus ring (from what Ive read in reviews) I assume that you can only use this feature with the kit lenses? In other words, you can't use it with full manual lenses?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G1 focus assist only possible with kit lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by tribal-warrior View Post
    Not sure if 'focus assist' is the correct name but I'm referring to that extra viewfinder magnification you get for aiding your manual focusing. Since the viewfinder zooms in when you rotate the focus ring (from what Ive read in reviews) I assume that you can only use this feature with the kit lenses? In other words, you can't use it with full manual lenses?
    On the G1, you enable manually by pressing left arrow then Menu buttons in sequence. It is disabled when you half-press the shutter release.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: G1 focus assist only possible with kit lenses?

And you need to set "shoot w/o lens" in the menu. On subsequent models like the GF1 and forward the magnification for manual lenses is accessed by pushing in the rear dial--one button push. You can still also do the 2 button push and I generally find I do that since I shoot with both a G1 and GF1 and it keeps it consistent. I roll my thumb from the left 4 way to the okay button but I guess it would depend upon the size of your thumb if this would work well.

Diane