The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the best Panasonic body for stills?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Assume that I will never use video from one of these cameras, and add to that I have the 14/2/5, the 20/1.7, and the 45/2.8.

Which of the various G bodies (I have a G1) produces the best stills, and (if different) which has the best EVF?

TIA, KL

A

allan

Right now, it's probably the GH2, with its oversized, multi-aspect ratio sensor.

pellicle

Which of the various G bodies (I have a G1) produces the best stills, and (if different) which has the best EVF?
I don't know but I have a G1 and a GH1 and I think its hair splitting. But I'll be interested to see how well the G3 compares to G1 / G2 on the JPG and RAW scene

:)

Godfrey

The results produced by all them are so similar as to make the choice very difficult on image quality. I'd choose on viewfinder, features and form factor instead. The G3 has a newer sensor than even the GH2 so it might prove an improvement even on that model, currently top of the line.

Pelao

The results produced by all them are so similar as to make the choice very difficult on image quality. I'd choose on viewfinder, features and form factor instead. The G3 has a newer sensor than even the GH2 so it might prove an improvement even on that model, currently top of the line.
And I would add: what is your output goal? Do you shoot for web display only? In particular, do you make prints? Large prints?

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been using GH1 with 20/1.7 and 45/2.8. I am very happy with the still outputs. I would imaging that GH2 will be even better. The real plus for me of using GH1/GH2 is its ability to shoot 16:9 native format. I shoot RAW and can display in my Panasonic plasma HDTV with excellent results.

Cheers,

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone. Responses in order:

Allen: from what I read, the GH1 has the same multi-aspect larger sensor, too, and it is a steal right now (B&H, $399).

Godfrey; I have not kept up on this aspect (finder) so which one of the G1 successors (apart from the G3) has a better finder?

Pelao, I do not intend to print large from this camera; I have a Sony for that.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming! KL

Pelao

Allen: from what I read, the GH1 has the same multi-aspect larger sensor, too, and it is a steal right now (B&H, $399).

Godfrey; I have not kept up on this aspect (finder) so which one of the G1 successors (apart from the G3) has a better finder?

Hi

Just a small point: if I understand your responses properly (which may not be the case 'cause I can be pretty dopey...) your response to Allen implies that the GH1 and GH2 have the same sensor. Both are multi-aspect, but the GH2 is a new sensor, with greater resolution and better high ISO performance. These points may or may not be important to you.

Given that you are not going to print large (by which I mean in the 11 x 17 to 16 x 20 range, then ultimate image quality may not be necessary. I can easily make excellent large prints from my GF1, which pretty much has the same sensor as the GH1. The GH1 and especially GH2 have other handling and video advantages, but for your purposes the amazing value of the GH1 right now might be just right.

Hope this helps, and apologies if I have made too many assumptions.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Pelao,

I think that I have not been keeping up with the µ4/3rd's cameras, it would seem.

Looking over the specs, it seems that the GH1 has a multi-format sensor (which, from memory and it's too cold to get out of bed and look right now, I don't recall that the G1 has!).

Does the GH1 have an improved EVF (over the G1, I mean)?

And the G2 is also available for the same price, $399.

What to do?

Andrew Gough

Hi Kit,

The GH2 is a different sensor from the GH1 18mp vs 12mp. The GH2 is very close to the old 1Ds2 when you are looking at properly exposed file. The M4/3 format requires exposure to the right of the histogram because the small pixel pitch is somewhat prone to noise at higher ISO's. ISO 160- 1600 is very useable and the images have a smoother type of noise compared to Canons cross hatch. The Noise is easier to remove.

Video output from the Gh2 is a generation ahead of the 5D2 and simply excellent. Most of the Panasonic lenses are quite good, you can also use M-mount lenses with adapters.

Andrew

pellicle

Does the GH1 have an improved EVF (over the G1, I mean)?
side by side I can't see anything I'd call on ...

I've done comparisons on the RAW data and didn't see anything much. Ultimately I just wanted to dabble in video, was thinking of the GF and got the GH1 at such a steal I just couldn't justify the GF to myself.

The differences in sensor sizes aren't much btw

all formats overlaid:

and 16:9 vs 4:3 in particular

taken with a Canon FD adapted lens (to ensure uniform coverage) in manual focus - extracted with dcraw to keep the full RAW pixel widths.

Essentially if you crop down a 4:3 to a 16:9 you only loose that little bit on the sides (which you can see there easily)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Andrew, the GH2 is out of my toy price range for now.

pellicle, that's an incredibly handy comparison; thank you—should be a 'sticky'.

If the G2 or GH1 does not have a better finder, then the advantage of the G2 over the G1 is the rear button. If it has the same finder, I will probably stick with the G1.

Vivek mentioned this a while ago: it ia amazing how much Panny got right with the G1, which was the first version of this type of camera. Cheers to all, KL

pellicle

Kit

pellicle, that's an incredibly handy comparison; thank you—should be a 'sticky'.
glad you found it useful, its in a blog post here, the other salient information (quantatively thinking) is:
* 4016 x 3016 Pixels (12.11 MPixels) (4:3)
* 4144 x 2768 Pixels (11.47 MPixels) (3:2)
* 4368 x 2464 Pixels (10.76 MPixels) (16:9)
* 3008 x 3008 Pixels (9.05 MPixels) (1:1)

The G1 was just such a great camera when released wasn't it! :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ ywen: I owned the GF-1 (twice; I know!) and personally, I much prefer the form factor of the G1, its finder (much better than the GF-1, and the external shoe-mounted one makes the combination awkward to pocket, or to put in a small bag), and the rotating LCD—which I don't use very often, but which is invaluable for certain shots when I do.

Can anyone comment on whether the finer of the G2 is any better than the G1? Right now. the G1 (apart from the front wheel) is looking like the bargain of the decade, especially with the 14 or the 20 on board, and I have one, so even better!

Cheers to all, KL

Diane B

I'm not positive but I think its the same. i think the GH2 and now the G3 are the MFts with the next gen EVF. I agree about the G1 but I am going for the G3 LOL to upgrade my G1 and GF1.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I will wait for your esteemed impressions before I do the same!

And that new body is showing (as a pre-order) on B&H for only $599. That's a lot of camera for that money.

pellicle

Hi

I much prefer the form factor of the G1, its finder (much better than the GF-1, and the external shoe-mounted one makes the combination awkward to pocket, or to put in a small bag), and the rotating LCD—which I don't use very often, but which is invaluable for certain shots when I do.
as someone who still harbours feelings that a GF-1 would be a good addtion I'd be interested to hear if you used the GF-1 with a compact prime and no hot shoe mounted EVF at all? I'm sort of thinking that that and a 14mm would make a good camera for keeping in my pack netting. Perhaps that way I could just trust the AF and that would enable me to not worry much about the rear screen (and my inability to see things closely sharply anymore)

be keen to hear your thoughts on that (if you don't mind side tracking this thread a little...)