The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Difference in kit lens optics with G1 vs G2?

Online, Ive read at least two reports from people that claim that the 14-45mm lens supplied with the G1 is of higher quality than the 14-45mm supplied with the G2. Anyone here have any observations on this? Personally, I find this a bit hard to believe. I can't really visualise Panasonic re-designing the lens optics for the later model. Surely, they would simply re-use the same lens and mount that on the newer camera? Even so, are there any differences in markings on the G2's kit lens that differentiates it from the G1's kit lens?

Diane B

Easy to tell the difference. The original kit lens with the G1 is 14-45 and the kit lens with the G2 is 14-42. I have the original 14-45 but have never seen or used the 14-42 but others have so perhaps they have an opinion. I have read the opinion often that the original 14-45 is the better lens. It is a quite good kit lens for sure.

Easy to tell the difference. The original kit lens with the G1 is 14-45 and the kit lens with the G2 is 14-42.
Interesting revelation. I wonder why Panasonic bothered to release a whole new kit lens for the newer model. Would have been cheaper and less fuss to supply the original 14-45mm.

Apart from the slight difference in focal length in the kit lens, and the camera's touch screen and HD video option, is the G2 pretty much the same as the G1? For example, do you have the option of turning the LCD screen off while having the sensor detecting whether your eye is close to the EVF? I'm really keen on that feature.

Yea, Ive been reading a few reviews of the G2. Though in one of the reviews, there seems to be a contradiction with regards to lens optics that doesn't quite make sense. They were discussing how well the 14-42mm performs and that they got good results when printing photos to reasonable large sizes. And remember that the resolution requirments for printing enlargements far exceeds the relatively low resolution of High Definition video. Then, when they were discussing the HD 720p video option of the G2, they point out that the lens is not a HD lens but does an okay job. Huh??

Hmmm....this is interesting. Ive just come across a review which claims that the new 14-42mm is of better optical quality than the original 14-45mm. Never ceases to surprise me, the contradictions you read in reviews. They even recommend trading in your old lens for the new one.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panas...-Camera_review_performance-and-results_Page-3

I have to admit though that the sample photo of the house at the bottom of Page 6 (Test Shots - Detail and Lens) does look quite impressive.

Diane B

I'm guessing to be able to sell combo for less and Oly had a 14-42 as their kit lens. Both are supposedly good for kit lenses and only add about $100 to base price. You will likely have to buy the 14-45 by itself now unless you can find a G1 combo on ebay.

You will likely have to buy the 14-45 by itself now unless you can find a G1 combo on ebay.
I have found another alternative. There's a local camera store chain that is offering a G2 bundled with a 14-45mm lens. There is very limited stock with this package. I completed the online transaction a few minutes ago so hopefully, the camera will arrive at my post office sometime next week. Hooray!

photoSmart42

Hmmm....this is interesting. Ive just come across a review which claims that the new 14-42mm is of better optical quality than the original 14-45mm. Never ceases to surprise me, the contradictions you read in reviews. They even recommend trading in your old lens for the new one.
Reviews are like... well, everyone has one. Most review sites get revenues from people clicking through to buy new products, which incentivizes the review sites to push the new products over the older stuff. Makes for an uncomfortable balance between revenues and the truth. Guess which one wins more often...

Most review sites get revenues from people clicking through to buy new products, which incentivizes the review sites to push the new products over the older stuff.
Ive heard a similar thing with magazines. And that they have a connection with some companies which prompts them to always write encouraging reviews of those companies' products.

RichA

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Panas...-Camera_review_performance-and-results_Page-3

I have to admit though that the sample photo of the house at the bottom of Page 6 (Test Shots - Detail and Lens) does look quite impressive.
The review is wrong. There is a reason why the older one retails for nearly twice the price and it isn't just the metal mount.