The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Next Olympus M43 Pro Camera

raist3d

Given the pen pro is 2-3 years away marking the start of that time march 2011 ( Olympu presentation), I am having my doubts that they can design a competitive sensor vs what panasonic/samsung/canon/Sony and maybe Fuji - will have by then. Unless they plan to make it for earlier pen models.

Also barring a foveobesque trick I honestly think this will e an uphill battle for them, but well see. That rumor is ft3 though.

Godfrey

I've seen this rumor before somewhere.

All I can say, given the Olympus history in pro-grade cameras (Pen F, OM 1/2/3/4 series, E-10, E-20, E-1, E-3, E-5...), is that I expect the "Pen Pro" will be an excellent camera in use and will make excellent photos. Which is all that matters IMO ...

pellicle

Olympus did know how to make best sellers once upon a time. The OM series, particularly the 1, 2 and 10, was a great success, as was the XA.
and now it is canon's turn to lead the mob. Back in the OM days most people who bought a camera were photographers, today its people who want their camera to take good pictures for them. When I came back from a trip to India a couple of years ago (2008) people commented of my pictures "wow, you must have a great camera"

As it happens it was a 10D, which people thought was ancient and past it and a 100-300 USM zoom. So nothing exotic...

I believe (sadly) that the market has changed.

m3photo

Re: "wow, you must have a great camera"

When I came back from a trip to India a couple of years ago (2008) people commented of my pictures "wow, you must have a great camera"

As it happens it was a 10D, which people thought was ancient and past it and a 100-300 USM zoom. So nothing exotic...

I believe (sadly) that the market has changed.
Yep, we all get that. Funny, you never hear the same idiot telling a chef he must have used a great pan to cook such a fine meal ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I honestly believe that a company like Olympus can develop such a sensor which supports great photographic expression in cooperation with any of the big sensor vendors like Sony, Panasonic, Kodak etc.

Take e.g. the Sony sensor from the K5 or D7000 and shrink it to 43 size and put a very weak AA filter in front and you would have a winning combination with in body IS and stellar Olympus pro glass. And this would not even mean a new basic design, just changing the layout of the sensor.

Or you could even develop a completely new sensor, which I kind of see more unrealistic, else there are big numbers behind, which I kind of doubt again even with M43.

But a new customized sensor for Olympus is no miracle! I rather wonder why they have not done this earlier.

Z

Ziggie

Why not just use a larger than 4/3 sensor like say some good recent Nikon or Canon sensor and stick it in a Pen and give us a large(ish) square format. Then one can crop down to the rectangular format of choice from there, if one needs.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Why not just use a larger than 4/3 sensor like say some good recent Nikon or Canon sensor and stick it in a Pen and give us a large(ish) square format. Then one can crop down to the rectangular format of choice from there, if one needs.
Sure, why not!