Site Sponsors

Thread: praise for the Nokton 25mm f/0.95

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

praise for the Nokton 25mm f/0.95

Friend of mine whom I haven't seen for a bit finally received the Nokton 25mm f/0.95 he'd ordered. We met today for coffee and photography so I had a chance to play with a little bit.

What a lovely lens! Beautifully made, crisp, fast to snap into focus. Working the focus and aperture rings, it feels just perfect. If I get back into Micro-FourThirds at some point, this lens will be on my want list immediately.

So much nice equipment out there ... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: praise for the Nokton 25mm f/0.95

How different we are... I sold mine some time ago, after having tried it for quite some time, and I don't miss it. That was a strange feeling as I've always had a place for fast primes in my heart.
    So it felt perfect? Interesting, in a way.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jonas,
    I thought I was the only one feeling strange after experiencing with this lens. I also like fast prime but I too sold the lens. What I like about the M4/3 system is it's very own AF and image stabilization feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Godfrey here. I own the Schneider 25mm f/0.95 and would never part with it. Fantastic flexible lens that I use more than any other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReeRay View Post
    Have to agree with Godfrey here. I own the Schneider 25mm f/0.95 and would never part with it. Fantastic flexible lens that I use more than any other.
    I'm sorry but I have some problems seeing what you are in agreement about. Schneider and Voigtländer isn't the same.

/Jonas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    I'm sorry but I have some problems seeing what you are in agreement about. Schneider and Voigtländer isn't the same.

/Jonas
    I assumed that we were basically referring to a lens of 25mm F/0.95mm - sorry if I misunderstood

Post Thanks / Like

I assumed that we were basically referring to a lens of 25mm F/0.95mm - sorry if I misunderstood
    I see, no problem. No, I was thinking about the Nokton making Godfrey starting this thread in such an enthusiastic manner.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no lens as overall versatile and useful to me as a fast normal lens, so I agree completely.

Note that I said nothing about how the Nokton performs. From what I've seen the performance looks great, but I have no direct experience of that. I like how it feels, balances and works from this quick impression. If I were to buy an E-PL2 or when Olympus comes out with the pro-grade successor in Micro-FourThirds, it will be a lens on my list of 'must haves', after which I'd be able to evaluate how it performs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Friend of mine whom I haven't seen for a bit finally received the Nokton 25mm f/0.95 he'd ordered. We met today for coffee and photography so I had a chance to play with a little bit.

What a lovely lens! Beautifully made, crisp, fast to snap into focus. Working the focus and aperture rings, it feels just perfect. If I get back into Micro-FourThirds at some point, this lens will be on my want list immediately.

So much nice equipment out there ... :-)

Godfrey, I agree with you completely. I have one and it makes for a wonderful fast 50mm on the GF1! I went back through my photos to take another look, http://www.flickr.com/photos/2667261...th/5183443741/ , and I love this lens.

Sample of indoor shot

GF1 with Nokton 25/0.95

The only reason I have been tempted to sell is that I am struck with a bit of Leica M fever at the moment.

However, the Nokton 50/0.95 along with the Zeiss Contax G 45/2 & 90/2.8 make a great three lens kit for manual focus with the micro four thirds system, so I am keeping mine for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no lens as overall versatile and useful to me as a fast normal lens, so I agree completely.

Note that I said nothing about how the Nokton performs. From what I've seen the performance looks great, but I have no direct experience of that. I like how it feels, balances and works from this quick impression. If I were to buy an E-PL2 or when Olympus comes out with the pro-grade successor in Micro-FourThirds, it will be a lens on my list of 'must haves', after which I'd be able to evaluate how it performs.
    A prediction then; I rejected it so you'll probably like it.

The problem is that the Nokton 25/0.95 isn't that versatile. Compared to what I was grown up with it isn't a particularly good performer. One of the things that made me disappointed was that the Nokton never gives you a sharp image from corner to corner no matter what f-stop you use. That was never a problem for the old Canon FD 50/1.4 I used for about 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
    Godfrey, I agree with you completely. (...)
    Once again, what exactly are you in agreement with?

regards,

/Jonas

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely lens! Beautifully made, crisp, fast to snap into focus. Working the focus and aperture rings, it feels just perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Once again, what exactly are you in agreement with?

regards,

/Jonas

I agree with what he said regarding the "praise for the Nokton 25mm f0.95" . . . . . (see above)

Jonas, I also like the photographs produced with the lens and my GF1.

If some asked for a recommendation about purchasing the lens I would not hesitate to encourage the person. Although if anyone researches just about any lens on the market they can find someone who has a different opinion.

. . . . . different boats for different folks, sometimes the same boat with just a different color. Variety the spice of life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love Nokton and I don't understand why some people are childish haters when it is mentioned. I can understand "different strokes for different folks" but I can not understand going overboard.